|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Berger et al., how is a woman's social presence different than a man's?
2. What image is obviously coupled with Ruben's painting on pages 42 and 43?
3. What is typically the focus in a work of art displaying a nude?
4. Who is one of the first artists to break the tradition of objectifying women nudes?
5. What are images a record of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is similar in all of the images in Chapter 2 on pages 36 and 37?
2. Describe how there is a gap between words and sight, as explained in Chapter 1.
3. Describe the differences between the collection of images on pages 36 and 37, and the collection of images on pages 38 and 39.
4. What effect does the inclusion of text have on the images in pages 40 and 41?
5. Describe how Bronzino's painting of Cupid kissing the lips of Venus shows that nudity is created with a spectator in mind.
6. Explain how the portrayal of women by European oil painters is a contradiction to their own work theory, as explained by the authors.
7. What happens to the meaning of a painting when many reproductions are made?
8. Describe how Berger et al. interpret the image of a nude women gazing in a mirror.
9. Explain how combining a variety of images to present a concept can be more powerful than using a single image.
10. Describe the metaphor of the lighthouse and the single eye of perspective.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the psychology of publicity images and modern consumerism according to Berger et al. and compare that to the authors' explanation of the spectator-owner versus the spectator-buyer psychology associated with European oil paintings.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to define and describe the term "publicity image." Complete the following three parts in your essay.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' definition of publicity images and their use in society.
Part 2 - Explain how and why the term "visual message" is used interchangeably with "publicity image."
Part 3 - Define and describe "publicity image" in your own words.
Essay Topic 3
Write the following three-part essay to explain how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Part 1 - Describe what the authors mean by "ways of seeing."
Part 2 - Describe why individuals all have different ways of seeing.
Part 3 - Give some examples that demonstrate how individuals have different ways of seeing.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)