|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which painting is used an example of who benefits from a nude painting?
2. What invention eventually disproves the idea of center, and single eye?
3. After reproductions are made, an original work of art is unique only in its what?
4. What is the difference between nude and naked as stated by the authors?
5. What word would best describe the images on pages 40 and 41?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the metaphor of the lighthouse and the single eye of perspective.
2. Explain how Cubism contradicts the single eye of perspective.
3. Explain how the portrayal of women by European oil painters is a contradiction to their own work theory, as explained by the authors.
4. Berger et al. explain that there is a certain style of European oil painting that does not put the nakedness of a women as the center display, but rather puts the relationship of the woman and artist on display. What is considered provocative about these images?
5. What is the purpose of mixing images of foodstuffs with images of females in various stages of undress?
6. Explain how the women in the images are viewed by the men in the images on pages 36 and 37.
7. Describe the combination of images present in Chapter 2 on pages 40 and 41.
8. What is Berger's explanation for the difference between naked and nude?
9. How does the value of the original painting change after it has been reproduced many times?
10. In Chapter 2, pages 42 and 43, how do the women in the images appear to men in the images?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how traditional European oil paintings make their subjects appear tangible and desirable, and discuss the affect this has on the culture of the time period.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to compare the techniques of traditional oil painting and early photographic techniques. In your writing, cover the following questions. Which techniques are better at exposing details in the subject? Which technique gives more life to a subject? What affect does early photography have on oil painting? Give an example from the text that compares an oil painting to early photography, and describe the obvious differences that appear to the viewer.
Essay Topic 3
Write a three-part essay to explain the ideas presented on the differences between men and women.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' opinions on the difference between how a man and woman are positioned in society, and discuss why.
Part 2 - Explain the difference between how a man views himself and how a woman must view herself.
Part 3 - Explain Berger et al.'s idea on how a woman must see herself as a sight.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)