|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is visual art originally made for?
2. Which of the following statements is true, according to Berger?
3. Who is one of the first artists to break the tradition of objectifying women nudes?
4. Which statement is NOT true about viewing an image made in the past?
5. In Chapter 2, what is the same between pages 40 to 41 and pages 42 to 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how men and women are different social presences, according to Berger et al.
2. Describe how there is a gap between words and sight, as explained in Chapter 1.
3. Describe how Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" is a commentary on the gap between words and image.
4. Describe how Berger et al. interpret the image of a nude women gazing in a mirror.
5. What happens to the meaning of a painting when many reproductions are made?
6. Describe the metaphor of the lighthouse and the single eye of perspective.
7. How does the value of the original painting change after it has been reproduced many times?
8. How is a work of art from the past mystifying to the modern viewer?
9. What do you think is the overall mood of the collection of images in Chapter 2 on pages 38 and 39?
10. Describe how Bronzino's painting of Cupid kissing the lips of Venus shows that nudity is created with a spectator in mind.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the development of the singular eye of perspective with the following three-part essay.
Part 1 - Explain Berger et al.'s metaphor of the lighthouse beacon.
Part 2 - Describe how the singular eye of perspective shapes the way viewers can see a sight.
Part 3 - Explain how the invention of the camera changed the singular eye of perspective, and describe its consequences on the art world.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how there is a gap between words and sight as described by Berger et al. Use Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" as an example in your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to describe how works of art from the past mystify viewers in the present. Answer the following questions in your writing. Where do the viewers see themselves when they observe a work of art from the past? What depictions are easily misinterpreted from historical art works? Do you think that viewers in the present see the same sight as viewers from the past when they look at a work of art from the past? Support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)