|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are images a record of?
2. Most of the images on pages 40 and 41 are of what content?
3. Who is meant to be the ideal viewer of pages 42 and 43?
4. Where is the spectator located when a work of art uses the single eye perspective?
5. What does Berger et al. claim that a woman's presence is to a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the differences between the collection of images on pages 36 and 37, and the collection of images on pages 38 and 39.
2. Explain how an image is a record of a sight.
3. Describe how there is a gap between words and sight, as explained in Chapter 1.
4. Describe the combination of images present in Chapter 2 on pages 40 and 41.
5. Explain how, according to the authors, a woman continually sees and is seen by herself as two parts of one female identity.
6. Explain how the portrayal of women by European oil painters is a contradiction to their own work theory, as explained by the authors.
7. Describe how Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" is a commentary on the gap between words and image.
8. Describe how Bronzino's painting of Cupid kissing the lips of Venus shows that nudity is created with a spectator in mind.
9. Berger et al. explain that there is a certain style of European oil painting that does not put the nakedness of a women as the center display, but rather puts the relationship of the woman and artist on display. What is considered provocative about these images?
10. Describe how men and women are different social presences, according to Berger et al.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an opinion essay to answer the following question. Do you think that the combination of publicity, glamour, and consumerism is a recipe for unhappiness? Support your opinion by agreeing or disagreeing with the examples from the authors.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how there is a gap between words and sight as described by Berger et al. Use Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" as an example in your writing.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the qualities of European oil paintings with publicity images. Cover the following questions in your writing. What do both European oil paintings and publicity images depict? How are these subjects depicted in a way that is similar? How do both of these types of images make their subjects appear attainable and desirable?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)