|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which phrase describes Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams"?
2. Which statement is NOT true about viewing an image made in the past?
3. Which painting is used an example of who benefits from a nude painting?
4. What is the theme of pages 42 and 43?
5. Why is a woman composed of two parts of one female identity, according to Berger et al.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Berger et al. explain that there is a certain style of European oil painting that does not put the nakedness of a women as the center display, but rather puts the relationship of the woman and artist on display. What is considered provocative about these images?
2. Describe the general mood of the collection of images on pages 42 and 43.
3. Describe the combination of images present in Chapter 2 on pages 40 and 41.
4. Describe how there is a gap between words and sight, as explained in Chapter 1.
5. Describe how Berger et al. interpret the image of a nude women gazing in a mirror.
6. What happens to the meaning of a painting when many reproductions are made?
7. What do you think is the overall mood of the collection of images in Chapter 2 on pages 38 and 39?
8. In Chapter 2, pages 42 and 43, how do the women in the images appear to men in the images?
9. Explain how the women in the images are viewed by the men in the images on pages 36 and 37.
10. Describe how Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" is a commentary on the gap between words and image.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an opinion essay to answer the following question. Do you think that the combination of publicity, glamour, and consumerism is a recipe for unhappiness? Support your opinion by agreeing or disagreeing with the examples from the authors.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the reproduction of original paintings changes their meaning and value. Discuss the following questions in your writing. What happens to the value of an original work when numerous reproductions are made? What happens to the meaning of a painting if it is moved to a different location? How does the addition of titles or text affect the meaning of an art work?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to describe how works of art from the past mystify viewers in the present. Answer the following questions in your writing. Where do the viewers see themselves when they observe a work of art from the past? What depictions are easily misinterpreted from historical art works? Do you think that viewers in the present see the same sight as viewers from the past when they look at a work of art from the past? Support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)