|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image is the exception to the images featured on pages 36 and 37?
2. What is the theme of pages 42 and 43?
3. Which unique content is present in Chapter 2, on pages 40 and 41?
4. Which words best describe Chapter 1 as a whole?
5. Which painting is used an example of who benefits from a nude painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the general mood of the collection of images on pages 42 and 43.
2. Explain how the portrayal of women by European oil painters is a contradiction to their own work theory, as explained by the authors.
3. What is the purpose of mixing images of foodstuffs with images of females in various stages of undress?
4. Berger et al. explain that there is a certain style of European oil painting that does not put the nakedness of a women as the center display, but rather puts the relationship of the woman and artist on display. What is considered provocative about these images?
5. What happens to the meaning of a painting when many reproductions are made?
6. What is Berger's explanation for the difference between naked and nude?
7. Describe how Berger et al. interpret the image of a nude women gazing in a mirror.
8. Explain how, according to the authors, a woman continually sees and is seen by herself as two parts of one female identity.
9. Describe how Bronzino's painting of Cupid kissing the lips of Venus shows that nudity is created with a spectator in mind.
10. Explain how combining a variety of images to present a concept can be more powerful than using a single image.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay to define and describe the term "publicity image." Complete the following three parts in your essay.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' definition of publicity images and their use in society.
Part 2 - Explain how and why the term "visual message" is used interchangeably with "publicity image."
Part 3 - Define and describe "publicity image" in your own words.
Essay Topic 2
Write the following three-part essay to explain how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Part 1 - Describe what the authors mean by "ways of seeing."
Part 2 - Describe why individuals all have different ways of seeing.
Part 3 - Give some examples that demonstrate how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Essay Topic 3
Woman nudes are a common subject in traditional European oil paintings. Write the following three-part essay to describe the portrayal of women in these paintings.
Part 1 - Describe how female nudes are positioned and situated in paintings that are tailored to the male viewer.
Part 2 - Explain some of the various ways that artists manipulate the depiction of female nudes to shape the viewer's way of seeing.
Part 3 - Contrast the assumed humanism in European oil paintings with the portrayal of women nudes in traditional European oil paintings.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)