|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference between nude and naked as stated by the authors?
2. What is unique about the Cubist images in Chapter 2 on pages 38 and 39?
3. What diversifies the meaning of a painting?
4. In general, what are words used to do?
5. What word would best describe the images on pages 40 and 41?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the value of the original painting change after it has been reproduced many times?
2. According to Berger et al., how do traditional oil paintings perpetuate the wealth and power of the ruling class?
3. What effect does the inclusion of text have on the images in pages 40 and 41?
4. Explain how an oil painting depicts subjects differently than other art forms, as discussed by the authors.
5. Describe Couture's eighteenth century painting "A Roman Feast", and explain how it plays into the other images on the facing page.
6. Describe how men and women are different social presences, according to Berger et al.
7. Describe how the photograph by Sven Blomberg is an example of how publicity images affect modern life, as described by the authors.
8. How is a work of art from the past mystifying to the modern viewer?
9. How is envy related to the author's ideas on glamour?
10. Explain how the women in the images are viewed by the men in the images on pages 36 and 37.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay to describe the word "glamour" according to Berger et al. What is glamour? How does glamour fuel the consumer society? What is considered glamorous and how does this shape culture? How is glamour the modern day substitute for the qualities presented in European oil paintings?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the difference between naked and nude while answering the following questions. What are some traditional definitions of naked and nude? What do Berger et al. propose as the difference between naked and nude? How are nudes really just objectified figures?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to compare the techniques of traditional oil painting and early photographic techniques. In your writing, cover the following questions. Which techniques are better at exposing details in the subject? Which technique gives more life to a subject? What affect does early photography have on oil painting? Give an example from the text that compares an oil painting to early photography, and describe the obvious differences that appear to the viewer.
This section contains 2,035 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)