|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement is NOT true about viewing an image made in the past?
2. Who is meant to be the ideal viewer of pages 42 and 43?
3. Which statement best describes what is eliminated when a work of art is reproduced?
4. According to Berger et al., how is a woman's social presence different than a man's?
5. Magritte's painting is an example of what type of artwork?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the photograph by Sven Blomberg is an example of how publicity images affect modern life, as described by the authors.
2. What is the purpose of mixing images of foodstuffs with images of females in various stages of undress?
3. Give an example of how color news magazines are used to present the contrast by placement of the images.
4. Describe how Berger et al. interpret the image of a nude women gazing in a mirror.
5. What is demonstrated about the visual arts in comparing the photograph of "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
6. Describe Couture's eighteenth century painting "A Roman Feast", and explain how it plays into the other images on the facing page.
7. How is the meaning of the images in Chapter 6 on pages 120 and 121, that depict daily life, of any significance?
8. According to Berger et al., how do traditional oil paintings perpetuate the wealth and power of the ruling class?
9. How are pages 72 and 73, which contain images of mythological characters and fanciful human figures, different than the previous images that are displayed in Chapter 4?
10. How does the value of the original painting change after it has been reproduced many times?
Essay Topic 1
Berger et al. propose the metaphor that traditional European oil painting is a wall safe into which the ways of seeing are deposited. Write an essay with the following parts.
Part 1 - Explain this metaphor made by Berger et al.
Part 2 - Compare the metaphor of Berger et al. to the classic metaphor that oil painting is a window unto the world.
Part 3 - Explain your opinion: Do you agree with the metaphor of Berger et al.? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to explain and compare how both traditional oil painting and modern publicity images stimulate consumerism and shape cultural ideals. Complete the following parts to the essay.
Part 1 - Describe how traditional oil painting is the basis for modern consumer culture.
Part 2 - Explain how publicity images carry the same ingredients for consumerism as European oil paintings.
Part 3 - Compare how color photographs are more effective publicity images than black and white photographs, and how this is similar to the techniques of European oil painting.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to define and describe the term "publicity image." Complete the following three parts in your essay.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' definition of publicity images and their use in society.
Part 2 - Explain how and why the term "visual message" is used interchangeably with "publicity image."
Part 3 - Define and describe "publicity image" in your own words.
This section contains 2,053 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)