|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, pages 36 and 37, how are the women in the images viewed by men in the same images?
2. What does the author use "The Key of Dreams" as an example of?
3. Why can every viewer see a painting in a different way?
4. What does the author assert about vision?
5. In Chapter 2, what image is prominent on the first set of facing pages 36 and 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are pages 72 and 73, which contain images of mythological characters and fanciful human figures, different than the previous images that are displayed in Chapter 4?
2. According to Berger et al., how can the story of Adam and Eve explain the shamefulness associated with being naked?
3. How is envy related to the author's ideas on glamour?
4. Describe how Berger et al. interpret the image of a nude women gazing in a mirror.
5. Berger et al. explain that there is a certain style of European oil painting that does not put the nakedness of a women as the center display, but rather puts the relationship of the woman and artist on display. What is considered provocative about these images?
6. How does the value of the original painting change after it has been reproduced many times?
7. In Chapter 6, compare the visual characteristics of the images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting by Bartolome Murillo titled "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill".
8. According to Berger et al., how is European oil painting similar to modern publicity images?
9. Explain how Rembrandt's two self-portraits, the first at age twenty-eight and the second at age fifty-eight, evolve to include content that is not conventionally found in traditional oil paintings of his time.
10. Describe the metaphor of the lighthouse and the single eye of perspective.
Essay Topic 1
Family and other social groupings of ordinary daily life are depicted in the six reproductions on facing pages 120 to123. Write an essay to: 1. describe the significance of the paintings, 2. specifically explain their meaning and value to the viewer, and 3. explain their significance and value to the owner.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the qualities of European oil paintings with publicity images. Cover the following questions in your writing. What do both European oil paintings and publicity images depict? How are these subjects depicted in a way that is similar? How do both of these types of images make their subjects appear attainable and desirable?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to define and describe the term "publicity image." Complete the following three parts in your essay.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' definition of publicity images and their use in society.
Part 2 - Explain how and why the term "visual message" is used interchangeably with "publicity image."
Part 3 - Define and describe "publicity image" in your own words.
This section contains 2,100 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)