|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the author discuss the work of Frans Hals?
2. What does the traditional depiction of Adam and Eve project as the perception of being naked?
3. Which is a traditional object used in covering the figures in nude paintings?
4. The author proposes that there is a gap between what two concepts?
5. In Chapter 2, what is the same between pages 40 to 41 and pages 42 to 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Berger et al., how can the story of Adam and Eve explain the shamefulness associated with being naked?
2. What effect does the inclusion of text have on the images in pages 40 and 41?
3. Describe the general mood of the collection of images on pages 42 and 43.
4. Describe the combination of images present in Chapter 2 on pages 40 and 41.
5. Describe the differences between the collection of images on pages 36 and 37, and the collection of images on pages 38 and 39.
6. Describe how Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" is a commentary on the gap between words and image.
7. Explain how combining a variety of images to present a concept can be more powerful than using a single image.
8. What is Berger's explanation for the difference between naked and nude?
9. Describe how Bronzino's painting of Cupid kissing the lips of Venus shows that nudity is created with a spectator in mind.
10. How does the value of the original painting change after it has been reproduced many times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how there is a gap between words and sight as described by Berger et al. Use Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" as an example in your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the qualities of European oil paintings with publicity images. Cover the following questions in your writing. What do both European oil paintings and publicity images depict? How are these subjects depicted in a way that is similar? How do both of these types of images make their subjects appear attainable and desirable?
Essay Topic 3
Woman nudes are a common subject in traditional European oil paintings. Write the following three-part essay to describe the portrayal of women in these paintings.
Part 1 - Describe how female nudes are positioned and situated in paintings that are tailored to the male viewer.
Part 2 - Explain some of the various ways that artists manipulate the depiction of female nudes to shape the viewer's way of seeing.
Part 3 - Contrast the assumed humanism in European oil paintings with the portrayal of women nudes in traditional European oil paintings.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)