|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the figure in "Bathsheba" sitting?
2. Where is the spectator located when a work of art uses the single eye perspective?
3. What is the difference between nude and naked as stated by the authors?
4. Which statement best describes what is eliminated when a work of art is reproduced?
5. In Chapter 2, what is the same between pages 40 to 41 and pages 42 to 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the portrayal of women by European oil painters is a contradiction to their own work theory, as explained by the authors.
2. Describe how Bronzino's painting of Cupid kissing the lips of Venus shows that nudity is created with a spectator in mind.
3. Describe how Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" is a commentary on the gap between words and image.
4. How does the value of the original painting change after it has been reproduced many times?
5. Describe how there is a gap between words and sight, as explained in Chapter 1.
6. Describe the general mood of the collection of images on pages 42 and 43.
7. What is similar in all of the images in Chapter 2 on pages 36 and 37?
8. Describe the metaphor of the lighthouse and the single eye of perspective.
9. Berger et al. explain that there is a certain style of European oil painting that does not put the nakedness of a women as the center display, but rather puts the relationship of the woman and artist on display. What is considered provocative about these images?
10. What is the purpose of mixing images of foodstuffs with images of females in various stages of undress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how there is a gap between words and sight as described by Berger et al. Use Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" as an example in your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to define and describe the term "publicity image." Complete the following three parts in your essay.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' definition of publicity images and their use in society.
Part 2 - Explain how and why the term "visual message" is used interchangeably with "publicity image."
Part 3 - Define and describe "publicity image" in your own words.
Essay Topic 3
Write the following three-part essay to explain how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Part 1 - Describe what the authors mean by "ways of seeing."
Part 2 - Describe why individuals all have different ways of seeing.
Part 3 - Give some examples that demonstrate how individuals have different ways of seeing.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)