|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Magritte's painting is an example of what type of artwork?
2. What painting by Ruben is included in pages 42 and 43?
3. To what area is the single eye of perspective unique?
4. What could be stated as the theme of pages 40 and 41?
5. What does the author use "The Key of Dreams" as an example of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how there is a gap between words and sight, as explained in Chapter 1.
2. In Chapter 2, pages 42 and 43, how do the women in the images appear to men in the images?
3. What is Berger's explanation for the difference between naked and nude?
4. Describe the metaphor of the lighthouse and the single eye of perspective.
5. Berger et al. explain that there is a certain style of European oil painting that does not put the nakedness of a women as the center display, but rather puts the relationship of the woman and artist on display. What is considered provocative about these images?
6. Describe how Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" is a commentary on the gap between words and image.
7. Explain how combining a variety of images to present a concept can be more powerful than using a single image.
8. What happens to the meaning of a painting when many reproductions are made?
9. Describe the differences between the collection of images on pages 36 and 37, and the collection of images on pages 38 and 39.
10. What is similar in all of the images in Chapter 2 on pages 36 and 37?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two example self-portraits of Rembrandt and explain how they are used by the authors to demonstrate the struggle and journey of early European oil painters.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how traditional European oil paintings make their subjects appear tangible and desirable, and discuss the affect this has on the culture of the time period.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to define and describe the term "publicity image." Complete the following three parts in your essay.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' definition of publicity images and their use in society.
Part 2 - Explain how and why the term "visual message" is used interchangeably with "publicity image."
Part 3 - Define and describe "publicity image" in your own words.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)