|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author assert about vision?
2. What is similar about the images on pages 42 and 43?
3. What is the theme of pages 42 and 43?
4. According to Berger et al., how must a woman observe herself in order to see herself in the eyes of a man?
5. What does Berger et al. claim that a woman's presence is to a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Bronzino's painting of Cupid kissing the lips of Venus shows that nudity is created with a spectator in mind.
2. How does the value of the original painting change after it has been reproduced many times?
3. Explain how the portrayal of women by European oil painters is a contradiction to their own work theory, as explained by the authors.
4. What happens to the meaning of a painting when many reproductions are made?
5. Explain how combining a variety of images to present a concept can be more powerful than using a single image.
6. Explain how Cubism contradicts the single eye of perspective.
7. Describe the differences between the collection of images on pages 36 and 37, and the collection of images on pages 38 and 39.
8. What do you think is the overall mood of the collection of images in Chapter 2 on pages 38 and 39?
9. Describe the combination of images present in Chapter 2 on pages 40 and 41.
10. Describe the general mood of the collection of images on pages 42 and 43.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the reproduction of original paintings changes their meaning and value. Discuss the following questions in your writing. What happens to the value of an original work when numerous reproductions are made? What happens to the meaning of a painting if it is moved to a different location? How does the addition of titles or text affect the meaning of an art work?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how traditional European oil paintings make their subjects appear tangible and desirable, and discuss the affect this has on the culture of the time period.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two example self-portraits of Rembrandt and explain how they are used by the authors to demonstrate the struggle and journey of early European oil painters.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)