|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What invention eventually disproves the idea of center, and single eye?
2. In Chapter 2, what are the authors trying to demonstrate with the images on pages 40 and 41?
3. What is the difference between nude and naked as stated by the authors?
4. Why does the author discuss the work of Frans Hals?
5. In Chapter 2, pages 36 and 37, how are the women in the images viewed by men in the same images?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the single eye of perspective changes with the invention of the camera.
2. According to Berger et al., how is European oil painting similar to modern publicity images?
3. Explain how Rembrandt's two self-portraits, the first at age twenty-eight and the second at age fifty-eight, evolve to include content that is not conventionally found in traditional oil paintings of his time.
4. What do you think is the overall mood of the collection of images in Chapter 2 on pages 38 and 39?
5. Describe the difference in the artist portrayal of a portrait versus a self-portrait.
6. In Chapter 6, explain how facing pages 116 and 117 return to Blake's theme of Africa and America supporting Europe.
7. Describe the metaphor of the lighthouse and the single eye of perspective.
8. Explain how the women in the images are viewed by the men in the images on pages 36 and 37.
9. In Chapter 6, compare the visual characteristics of the images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting by Bartolome Murillo titled "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill".
10. What objects are common subjects for traditional oil paintings, and how are they conventionally depicted?
Essay Topic 1
Write a three-part essay to explain the ideas presented on the differences between men and women.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' opinions on the difference between how a man and woman are positioned in society, and discuss why.
Part 2 - Explain the difference between how a man views himself and how a woman must view herself.
Part 3 - Explain Berger et al.'s idea on how a woman must see herself as a sight.
Essay Topic 2
Write the following three-part essay to explain how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Part 1 - Describe what the authors mean by "ways of seeing."
Part 2 - Describe why individuals all have different ways of seeing.
Part 3 - Give some examples that demonstrate how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an opinion essay to answer the following question. Do you think that the combination of publicity, glamour, and consumerism is a recipe for unhappiness? Support your opinion by agreeing or disagreeing with the examples from the authors.
This section contains 2,205 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)