|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is a traditional object used in covering the figures in nude paintings?
2. What is the difference between nude and naked as stated by the authors?
3. What does Kenneth Clark (not the authors) say about the concepts of naked and nude?
4. The author proposes that there is a gap between what two concepts?
5. In Chapter 2, what is the same between pages 40 to 41 and pages 42 to 43?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is a work of art from the past mystifying to the modern viewer?
2. Berger et al. explain that there is a certain style of European oil painting that does not put the nakedness of a women as the center display, but rather puts the relationship of the woman and artist on display. What is considered provocative about these images?
3. Describe the general mood of the collection of images on pages 42 and 43.
4. Describe how Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" is a commentary on the gap between words and image.
5. Describe the differences between the collection of images on pages 36 and 37, and the collection of images on pages 38 and 39.
6. Describe how the single eye of perspective changes with the invention of the camera.
7. Describe how Berger et al. interpret the image of a nude women gazing in a mirror.
8. Describe how men and women are different social presences, according to Berger et al.
9. Explain how the portrayal of women by European oil painters is a contradiction to their own work theory, as explained by the authors.
10. What do you think is the overall mood of the collection of images in Chapter 2 on pages 38 and 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family and other social groupings of ordinary daily life are depicted in the six reproductions on facing pages 120 to123. Write an essay to: 1. describe the significance of the paintings, 2. specifically explain their meaning and value to the viewer, and 3. explain their significance and value to the owner.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to explain and compare how both traditional oil painting and modern publicity images stimulate consumerism and shape cultural ideals. Complete the following parts to the essay.
Part 1 - Describe how traditional oil painting is the basis for modern consumer culture.
Part 2 - Explain how publicity images carry the same ingredients for consumerism as European oil paintings.
Part 3 - Compare how color photographs are more effective publicity images than black and white photographs, and how this is similar to the techniques of European oil painting.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the psychology of publicity images and modern consumerism according to Berger et al. and compare that to the authors' explanation of the spectator-owner versus the spectator-buyer psychology associated with European oil paintings.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)