|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word would best describe the images on pages 40 and 41?
2. Which statement summarizes how images are subjective?
3. Why does the author discuss the work of Frans Hals?
4. According to the authors, what are women culturally and socially conditioned to do?
5. What is similar about all of the women in the images on pages 36 and 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the commission by Frans Hals could easily be misunderstood by the modern viewer.
2. Explain how Cubism contradicts the single eye of perspective.
3. Explain how the portrayal of women by European oil painters is a contradiction to their own work theory, as explained by the authors.
4. Describe how men and women are different social presences, according to Berger et al.
5. Describe how Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" is a commentary on the gap between words and image.
6. How does the value of the original painting change after it has been reproduced many times?
7. Describe the metaphor of the lighthouse and the single eye of perspective.
8. Describe how there is a gap between words and sight, as explained in Chapter 1.
9. Describe the differences between the collection of images on pages 36 and 37, and the collection of images on pages 38 and 39.
10. Describe the combination of images present in Chapter 2 on pages 40 and 41.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the development of the singular eye of perspective with the following three-part essay.
Part 1 - Explain Berger et al.'s metaphor of the lighthouse beacon.
Part 2 - Describe how the singular eye of perspective shapes the way viewers can see a sight.
Part 3 - Explain how the invention of the camera changed the singular eye of perspective, and describe its consequences on the art world.
Essay Topic 2
Write the following three-part essay to explain how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Part 1 - Describe what the authors mean by "ways of seeing."
Part 2 - Describe why individuals all have different ways of seeing.
Part 3 - Give some examples that demonstrate how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to define and describe the term "publicity image." Complete the following three parts in your essay.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' definition of publicity images and their use in society.
Part 2 - Explain how and why the term "visual message" is used interchangeably with "publicity image."
Part 3 - Define and describe "publicity image" in your own words.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)