|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Berger et al. refer to a woman's dual role?
2. What invention eventually disproves the idea of center, and single eye?
3. What does Berger et al. claim that a woman's presence is to a man?
4. What image is obviously coupled with Ruben's painting on pages 42 and 43?
5. How does a woman see herself, according to Berger et al.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the differences between the collection of images on pages 36 and 37, and the collection of images on pages 38 and 39.
2. Describe the metaphor of the lighthouse and the single eye of perspective.
3. According to Berger et al., how can the story of Adam and Eve explain the shamefulness associated with being naked?
4. Describe how men and women are different social presences, according to Berger et al.
5. What do you think is the overall mood of the collection of images in Chapter 2 on pages 38 and 39?
6. Describe how Berger et al. interpret the image of a nude women gazing in a mirror.
7. Explain how combining a variety of images to present a concept can be more powerful than using a single image.
8. Explain how the commission by Frans Hals could easily be misunderstood by the modern viewer.
9. What is Berger's explanation for the difference between naked and nude?
10. What happens to the meaning of a painting when many reproductions are made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning and significance of the portraits in the Knoll Ball Room? How does the location of these paintings influence their meaning? What do the portraits convey to the viewer about the subjects?
Essay Topic 2
Write the following three-part essay to explain how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Part 1 - Describe what the authors mean by "ways of seeing."
Part 2 - Describe why individuals all have different ways of seeing.
Part 3 - Give some examples that demonstrate how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how there is a gap between words and sight as described by Berger et al. Use Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" as an example in your writing.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)