|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which phrase describes Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams"?
2. Who is meant to be the ideal viewer of pages 42 and 43?
3. To what area is the single eye of perspective unique?
4. What is visual art originally made for?
5. What are images a record of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the single eye of perspective changes with the invention of the camera.
2. Explain how the portrayal of women by European oil painters is a contradiction to their own work theory, as explained by the authors.
3. Describe the differences between the collection of images on pages 36 and 37, and the collection of images on pages 38 and 39.
4. What is the purpose of mixing images of foodstuffs with images of females in various stages of undress?
5. Describe the general mood of the collection of images on pages 42 and 43.
6. What is Berger's explanation for the difference between naked and nude?
7. Explain how an image is a record of a sight.
8. Explain how the commission by Frans Hals could easily be misunderstood by the modern viewer.
9. What do you think is the overall mood of the collection of images in Chapter 2 on pages 38 and 39?
10. Describe the metaphor of the lighthouse and the single eye of perspective.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how there is a gap between words and sight as described by Berger et al. Use Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" as an example in your writing.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to compare the techniques of traditional oil painting and early photographic techniques. In your writing, cover the following questions. Which techniques are better at exposing details in the subject? Which technique gives more life to a subject? What affect does early photography have on oil painting? Give an example from the text that compares an oil painting to early photography, and describe the obvious differences that appear to the viewer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how traditional European oil paintings make their subjects appear tangible and desirable, and discuss the affect this has on the culture of the time period.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)