|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do artists begin to use the concept of singular perspective?
2. To what area is the single eye of perspective unique?
3. What does the author assert about vision?
4. Which of the following statements is true, according to Berger?
5. According to the authors, what is a woman's internal presence comprised of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the commission by Frans Hals could easily be misunderstood by the modern viewer.
2. Describe how men and women are different social presences, according to Berger et al.
3. Explain how Cubism contradicts the single eye of perspective.
4. According to Berger et al., how can the story of Adam and Eve explain the shamefulness associated with being naked?
5. What do you think is the overall mood of the collection of images in Chapter 2 on pages 38 and 39?
6. What effect does the inclusion of text have on the images in pages 40 and 41?
7. How does the value of the original painting change after it has been reproduced many times?
8. Describe how Berger et al. interpret the image of a nude women gazing in a mirror.
9. Describe the differences between the collection of images on pages 36 and 37, and the collection of images on pages 38 and 39.
10. In Chapter 2, pages 42 and 43, how do the women in the images appear to men in the images?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two example self-portraits of Rembrandt and explain how they are used by the authors to demonstrate the struggle and journey of early European oil painters.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the qualities of European oil paintings with publicity images. Cover the following questions in your writing. What do both European oil paintings and publicity images depict? How are these subjects depicted in a way that is similar? How do both of these types of images make their subjects appear attainable and desirable?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how there is a gap between words and sight as described by Berger et al. Use Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" as an example in your writing.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)