|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All of the following are titles of works that begin Chapter 6, except for which one?
(a) "Mildew Blighting Ears of Corn."
(b) "Unclad woman."
(d) "Europe Supported by Africa and America."
2. Which of the following is the title of a painting on pages 72 and 73?
(a) "President Washington Age 40."
(b) "The Princess of Russia."
(d) "Venus and Mars."
3. What is the approximate historical range of the images on pages 66 and 67?
(a) From the 18th to the 19th century.
(b) From the early 1200s to the mid-1500s.
(c) From the 20th century.
(d) From the mid-1200s to the late-1800s.
4. In what way does the ruling class of a period support or promote their own way of seeing?
(a) By commissioning oil paintings that depict sights of what they possess.
(b) By bribing artists into depicting themselves as more wealthy or powerful than they really are.
(c) By only permitting specifc depictions of holy figures.
(d) By creating great halls of family portraits.
5. What is visually similar about the paintings "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes" and " Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
(a) They both contain subjects that are moving.
(b) They both portray elderly subjects.
(c) They both portray wealthy subjects.
(d) They are both black and white reproductions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement could easily be an interpretation of Van Gogh's "a cornfield with birds flying out of it"?
2. Which painting is an example of how oil paintings make objects desirable to touch?
3. According to Berger et al., what does traditional oil painting effectively do?
4. Which words best describe the setting of "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine"?
5. What character often appears in the images on pages 72 and 73?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)