|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is visual art originally made for?
(a) A specific theme.
(b) A specific location.
(c) A specific religion.
(d) A specific politician.
2. According to the authors, what is a woman's internal presence comprised of?
(a) An idea of what she looks like to a man.
(b) An illusion of what she should be.
(c) A perception of how she should act to be treated like she wants.
(d) A preception of what men like.
3. In Chapter 2, what are the authors trying to demonstrate with the images on pages 40 and 41?
(a) That the combination of text and image can create a very powerful and intentional meaning.
(b) That mixing images of formal portraits and self-portraits defines the unique qualities of each.
(c) That mixing images of men and women defines the unique qualities of each.
(d) That the combination of photographs and paintings creates a contrast similar to realism and abstract painting.
4. What do Berger et al. say about the portrayal of naked women in early European oil paintings?
(a) That paintings of nudes should not be reproduced.
(b) That they need to balance the number of male and female nudes in a painting.
(c) That they should not turn a naked body into an object for display.
(d) That paintings of nudes are shameful in any culture.
5. In Chapter 2, what is the same between pages 40 to 41 and pages 42 to 43?
(a) All of the pages are publicity for the female figure.
(b) All of the pages depict wealthy and powerful men.
(c) All of the pages demonstrate the difference between men and women.
(d) All of the pages are a statement on the historical struggle of artists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is similar about all of the women in the images on pages 36 and 37?
2. What do Berger et al. mean by the phrase "holy relic"?
3. The author proposes that there is a gap between what two concepts?
4. Which words best describe Chapter 1 as a whole?
5. What image is the exception to the images featured on pages 36 and 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, pages 42 and 43, how do the women in the images appear to men in the images?
2. According to Berger et al., how do traditional oil paintings perpetuate the wealth and power of the ruling class?
3. Explain how Rembrandt's two self-portraits, the first at age twenty-eight and the second at age fifty-eight, evolve to include content that is not conventionally found in traditional oil paintings of his time.
4. What do you think is the overall mood of the collection of images in Chapter 2 on pages 38 and 39?
5. Explain how the pairs of paintings and photographs in Chapter 6 on pages 126 and 127 complement each other.
6. Describe the combination of images present in Chapter 2 on pages 40 and 41.
7. What is similar in all of the images in Chapter 2 on pages 36 and 37?
8. In Chapter 4, explain what interconnections can be made between the images of death on pages 68 and 69, and the images of food, wine, and the hunt on pages 70 and 71.
9. Explain how an image is a record of a sight.
10. Describe the metaphor of the lighthouse and the single eye of perspective.
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)