|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what is the most stark contrast between the images on the first set of facing pages (36 and 37) and the images on the second set of facing pages (38 and 39)?
(a) The women on pages 36 and 37 are all wearing make-up and on pages 38 and 39 they are not.
(b) The women on pages 36 and 37 are from historical works and the images on pages 38 and 39 are from modern works.
(c) The women on pages 36 and 37 are clothed and the women on pages 38 and 39 are not.
(d) Pages 36 and 37 are in black and white, and pages 38 and 39 are in color.
2. What is genre as a subject?
(a) New world subjects.
(b) Exotic botanicals.
(c) Common life subjects.
(d) Exotic animals.
3. According to Berger et al., how is a woman's social presence different than a man's?
(a) Her presence represents a man's desires.
(b) Her presence represents how a woman feels about herself and what may be done to her.
(c) Her presence represents a woman's power over men.
(d) Her presence represents what a woman can do for a man.
4. What is the theme of pages 42 and 43?
(a) A demonstration of objectifying women for publicity purposes.
(b) A demonstration of the right to free speech in the United States.
(c) A demonstration of the problems in modern art and culture.
(d) A demonstration of corruption in a democratic society.
5. Which of the following is a detail of Gauguin's painting "Nevermore"?
(a) The viewer can see many sides of the female figure.
(b) The female figure is facing her back to the viewer.
(c) The painting includes a man at the woman's side.
(d) The painting includes a crow sitting above the female nude.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was oil painting first developed?
2. What is the title of all the paintings on pages 70 and 71?
3. What does the author use "The Key of Dreams" as an example of?
4. Which item would NOT fit the theme on pages 40 and 41?
5. How does a woman see herself, according to Berger et al.?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)