|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What affect does a title have on a painting's meaning?
(a) Words in a title will affect the painting more than the viewer.
(b) Words in a title can change the interpretation of a painting.
(c) A title is not necessary in historical paintings.
(d) A title can be changed to any words without affecting the viewer.
2. What does the author assert about vision?
(a) Vision is common to all living things.
(b) Vision is a mechanical function.
(c) Vision is a chemical reaction.
(d) Vision is a reciprocal function.
3. Who is one of the first artists to break the tradition of objectifying women nudes?
(c) Da Vinci.
4. In Chapter 2, what image is prominent on the first set of facing pages 36 and 37?
(a) A large piece of raw meat.
(b) The number five.
(c) A nude male.
(d) A female artist holding a paintbrush and wearing a smock.
5. Which phrase describes Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams"?
(a) A four-pane window.
(b) A kitchen sink.
(c) A clock tower.
(d) A forest of trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do images of the past promote?
2. Why can every viewer see a painting in a different way?
3. In Chapter 2, what is the most stark contrast between the images on the first set of facing pages (36 and 37) and the images on the second set of facing pages (38 and 39)?
4. In Chapter 2, what do facing pages 40 and 41 contain?
5. What do Berger et al. say about the portrayal of naked women in early European oil paintings?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)