|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the the author, what did Babeuf want for the people?
(a) More productivity.
(b) A better life.
(c) More religion and morality.
(d) More self-sacrifice.
2. Michelet said that the bourgeoisie __________________.
(a) Own the means of production.
(b) Are not in touch with the people.
(c) Benefit by the oppression of the poor.
(d) Are the majority of people.
3. Edmund Wilson relates that Babeuf worked at __________.
(a) Promoting the Revolution.
(b) Protecting the rich from the Revolution.
(c) Secularizing France.
(d) Attacking the church during the Revolution.
4. What did La Scienza Nuova do for Michelet?
(a) It let him tell a new and different history of France.
(b) It gave him a new religious perspective on the origin of the universe.
(c) It allowed him to tie all branches of science together.
(d) It gave him a new standard for validating experimental results.
5. Where did Michelet go during his travels through Europe?
6. What does Edmund Wilson say Taine tried to represent in his history?
(a) The underlying economic laws that regulated French life.
(b) The pattern on the loom of French nationalist literature.
(c) The reality of the France in which he lived.
(d) The underlying spiritual development in French culture.
7. Where did Marx learn about the ideas of Saint-Simon?
(a) In the military.
(b) From his parents.
(c) From his neighbor.
(d) In school.
8. How does Michelet define the relations between the classes?
(a) Based on fear of the class below.
(b) Based on envy of the class above.
(c) Based on the ability to seize power.
(d) Based on greed.
9. Saint-Simon thought society should be based on ____________.
10. What value does Edmund Wilson attribute to Michelet's work?
(a) He described history from the perspective of the people living through it.
(b) He told the history of nations who lost wars but kept their culture intact.
(c) He told history from the poor people's perspective.
(d) He described the subterranean narrative driving history.
11. Prosper Enfantin was a follower of whom?
(c) Fourier and Owens.
12. What French philosopher influenced both Fourier and Owen?
(a) de Sade.
13. How does Edmund Wilson describe Taine's approach to history?
14. What did La Scienza Nuova describe?
(a) A new standard for evidence and experimentation.
(b) A new approach to scientific inquiry.
(c) A new model for gravity and the evolution of the universe.
(d) A new approach to history.
15. What did Michelet describe about each social class?
(a) Its interdependence with the other classes.
(b) Its unique pressures and fears.
(c) Its unity with the other classes.
(d) Its lack of connection with the earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Edmund Wilson, Saint-Simon represented______________.
2. What character trait does Edmund Wilson see in both Fourier and Owen?
3. According to the author, Saint-Simon viewed society's goals as changing ______________.
4. What was Michelet trying to develop when he discovered the Renaissance philosopher?
5. How does Edmund Wilson characterize for Taine the difference between history and science?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)