|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Taine believe about the French Revolution?
(a) It was evidence of corrections taking place.
(b) It was the beginning of the Communist Revolution.
(c) It would end in totalitarianism.
(d) It was evidence of a workers' state coming into existence.
2. What did Fourier and Owen believed about wealth?
(a) It should be distributed too all based on a formula.
(b) It should be given to the poor and weak.
(c) It should be equally distributed to all.
(d) It should be kept by the strong and the powerful.
3. What did Michelet focus on in his histories?
4. What character trait does Edmund Wilson see in both Fourier and Owen?
(a) Abhorrence for cruelty.
(c) Admiration for technology.
(d) Intolerance for weakness.
5. How does Edmund Wilson describe Anatole France?
(a) As a radical.
(b) As a Catholic.
(c) As a racist.
(d) As a reformer.
6. Which university did Marx attend?
7. According to the author, Saint-Simon viewed society's goals as changing ______________.
(a) From communal power to individual power.
(b) From production and consumption to war and conquest.
(c) From war for conquest to war for annihilation.
(d) From community and church to production and consumption.
8. Marx wrote his doctoral thesis on ___________.
9. What did Michelet write after he had become the Conservator of the French Archives?
(a) Roman History.
(b) The Insect.
(c) Introduction to Universal History.
(d) History of the Middle Ages.
10. What name was ultimately given to the line of thought Michelet developed?
(a) Natural selection.
(c) Re-oriented natural history.
11. What did Michelet study in history?
(a) Technology's influence on the means of production.
(b) The range of religious expression.
(c) The personalities that played a role in it.
(d) The theories that unified all history into one narrative.
12. Michelet believed the history of the 19th century was summed up by _________.
(a) Expansionism, militarism, and scientific progress.
(b) Industrialism, militarism, and socialism.
(c) Religion, technology, and militarism.
(d) Capitalism, militarism, and colonialism.
13. What did Michelet write about beginning in 1843?
(a) The evolution of history.
(b) The Italian Revolution.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The American Revolution.
14. Where did Marx grow up?
15. What did Fourier and Owen believe about the role of government?
(a) It should be founded in church doctrine.
(b) It should be based on its ability to maintain order.
(c) It should be concerned with public morality.
(d) It should focus on industry.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Edmund Wilson attribute the need for political action in the early/mid 1800s?
2. How were Marx' early writings received?
3. What was Michelet trying to develop when he discovered the Renaissance philosopher?
4. Why did Saint-Simon not participate in the French Revolution?
5. What did Taine study after 1871, when the Commune was established?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)