|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name was ultimately given to the line of thought Michelet developed?
(a) Natural selection.
(d) Re-oriented natural history.
2. What Renaissance thinker did Michelet discover?
(b) Da Vinci.
3. Prosper Enfantin was a follower of whom?
(c) Fourier and Owens.
4. What was Saint-Simon's theory of history?
(a) A cycle of development and destruction.
(b) A seething chaos run by the powerful.
(c) Waves of equilibrium and breakdown.
(d) A punctuated equilibrium.
5. What does Edmund Wilson say Taine tried to represent in his history?
(a) The underlying spiritual development in French culture.
(b) The underlying economic laws that regulated French life.
(c) The reality of the France in which he lived.
(d) The pattern on the loom of French nationalist literature.
6. To what does Edmund Wilson attribute the need for political action in the early/mid 1800s?
(a) Riots and strikes.
(b) Lack of reform by Friedrich Wilhelm IV.
(d) Centralization of power in the hands of the aristocracy.
7. According to the author, Michelet's writings demonstrate _____________.
(a) How the master-slave dialectic is present in every culture.
(b) How class warfare is latent in every nation.
(c) How all classes belong to one economy.
(d) How different economies drive different parts of each nation's economy.
8. How old was Babeuf during the Revolution?
9. What was Michelet's relationship with socialism?
(a) He preached it in poor neighborhoods.
(b) He prophesied it.
(c) He did not endorse it.
(d) He condemned it.
10. What does Edmund Wilson say about the French artists' and intellectuals' engagement with politics after Louis Bonaparte became Emperor in 1851?
(a) They wanted to preserve the old feudal system of patronage.
(b) They wanted to create their own republic.
(c) They were not interested.
(d) They were deeply committed to fighting for the workers.
11. How does Michelet define the relations between the classes?
(a) Based on envy of the class above.
(b) Based on greed.
(c) Based on fear of the class below.
(d) Based on the ability to seize power.
12. What language did Michelet NOT read?
13. What did La Scienza Nuova describe?
(a) A new model for gravity and the evolution of the universe.
(b) A new approach to history.
(c) A new standard for evidence and experimentation.
(d) A new approach to scientific inquiry.
14. What did Jules Michelet teach?
(a) Biology and natural sciences.
(d) Philosophy and history.
15. What did Michelet focus on in his histories?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fourier and Owen believe about the relationship between groups and society?
2. What did Michelet write about beginning in 1843?
3. How does Edmund Wilson contrast Taine with Renan?
4. According to the author, the success of Owen's community depended on ______________.
5. How long did the communist government last in Paris after Michelet had his stroke?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)