|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Babeuf during the Revolution?
2. How long did the communist government last in Paris after Michelet had his stroke?
(a) Two and a half months.
(b) Five months.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten months.
3. What position did Marx take in 1842?
(a) Editor of a radical magazine.
(b) Editor-in-chief of a newspaper.
(c) Investigative reporter.
(d) Political activist.
4. What was Taine distancing himself from in his work?
5. What does Edmund Wilson say Taine tried to represent in his history?
(a) The underlying spiritual development in French culture.
(b) The reality of the France in which he lived.
(c) The pattern on the loom of French nationalist literature.
(d) The underlying economic laws that regulated French life.
6. Where did Owen put his idealistic notions into practice?
(a) In Brook Farm.
(b) In Utopia.
(c) In New Lanark.
(d) In Fruitlands.
7. According to the author, Michelet's writings would reappear ___________.
(a) In Darwin.
(b) In Marcuse.
(c) In Marx.
(d) In Freud.
8. On what point did Marx agree with Engels when he first read his work?
(a) History would culminate in a workers' state.
(b) One spirit undergirded all of history's development.
(c) German philosophy didn't provide social principles.
(d) Economics was crippled by being divorced from morality and religion.
9. Michelet believed the history of the 19th century was summed up by _________.
(a) Religion, technology, and militarism.
(b) Industrialism, militarism, and socialism.
(c) Capitalism, militarism, and colonialism.
(d) Expansionism, militarism, and scientific progress.
10. What French philosopher influenced both Fourier and Owen?
(b) de Sade.
11. What did Michelet write about beginning in 1843?
(a) The Italian Revolution.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The evolution of history.
(d) The American Revolution.
12. When did Marx express the desire to help humanity?
(a) In the final exams for high school.
(b) In his graduate thesis.
(c) In his political activism.
(d) In elementary school essays.
13. How did Taine examine works of literature?
(a) As historical way posts.
(b) As specimens.
(c) As living spiritual events.
(d) As living experiences.
14. What was the subject of Renan's The Future of Science?
(a) Conflict in scientific communities.
(b) Technology and science in religion.
(c) Philosophy in economics.
(d) Morality and faith in society.
15. Michelet said that the bourgeoisie __________________.
(a) Are not in touch with the people.
(b) Benefit by the oppression of the poor.
(c) Own the means of production.
(d) Are the majority of people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Marx grow up?
2. What does Edmund Wilson say about the French artists' and intellectuals' engagement with politics after Louis Bonaparte became Emperor in 1851?
3. According to Edmund Wilson, Saint-Simon represented______________.
4. What did Michelet focus on in his histories?
5. How were Marx' early writings received?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)