|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what was the result of the French Revolution?
(a) Wealth was concentrated in a few hands.
(b) The church acquired large amounts of land.
(c) Private property was abolished in many places.
(d) The people acquired vast political power.
2. What character trait does Edmund Wilson see in both Fourier and Owen?
(a) Admiration for technology.
(b) Intolerance for weakness.
(d) Abhorrence for cruelty.
3. What was Saint-Simon's theory of history?
(a) A cycle of development and destruction.
(b) A punctuated equilibrium.
(c) Waves of equilibrium and breakdown.
(d) A seething chaos run by the powerful.
4. What did Jules Michelet teach?
(a) Biology and natural sciences.
(b) Philosophy and history.
5. Edmund Wilson relates that Babeuf worked at __________.
(a) Secularizing France.
(b) Attacking the church during the Revolution.
(c) Protecting the rich from the Revolution.
(d) Promoting the Revolution.
6. What was Taine distancing himself from in his work?
7. What organization did Michelet want to create?
(a) A congress of industrial leaders.
(b) A European army to keep workers in line.
(c) An armed peace league.
(d) An international monetary fund.
8. Where did Marx grow up?
9. How were Fourier and Owen representative of early nineteenth century thinkers?
(a) They did not subscribe to liberal politics.
(b) They wanted a return to law and order.
(c) They supported totalitarian leaders.
(d) They espoused liberal political views.
10. What value does Edmund Wilson attribute to Michelet's work?
(a) He described history from the perspective of the people living through it.
(b) He told the history of nations who lost wars but kept their culture intact.
(c) He described the subterranean narrative driving history.
(d) He told history from the poor people's perspective.
11. According to Edmund Wilson, Saint-Simon represented______________.
(a) The ancien regime.
(b) The new kind of writer.
(c) The poor.
(d) The bourgeoisie.
12. What did La Scienza Nuova do for Michelet?
(a) It allowed him to tie all branches of science together.
(b) It let him tell a new and different history of France.
(c) It gave him a new standard for validating experimental results.
(d) It gave him a new religious perspective on the origin of the universe.
13. To what does Edmund Wilson attribute the need for political action in the early/mid 1800s?
(b) Lack of reform by Friedrich Wilhelm IV.
(c) Riots and strikes.
(d) Centralization of power in the hands of the aristocracy.
14. What position did Marx take in 1842?
(a) Editor of a radical magazine.
(b) Editor-in-chief of a newspaper.
(c) Political activist.
(d) Investigative reporter.
15. Why did Saint-Simon not participate in the French Revolution?
(a) He was in exile.
(b) He was too young.
(c) He considered it destructive.
(d) He was in prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edmund Wilson say Taine tried to represent in his history?
2. According to the author, Michelet's writings demonstrate _____________.
3. What French philosopher influenced both Fourier and Owen?
4. What did Michelet study in history?
5. What did Michelet describe about each social class?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)