|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapters 3-4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were most French artists and thinkers living in the early 1850s?
(a) In exile.
(b) In London.
(c) In Munich.
(d) In Paris.
2. According to the author, the success of Owen's community depended on ______________.
(a) Owen's presence.
(b) Strict enforcement of laws.
(c) Inflated prices for coal.
(d) Owen's subsidies.
3. What does Edmund Wilson examine from the Middle Ages?
(a) The emergence of the notion that man could improve himself.
(b) The development of a theory of history.
(c) The emergence of the idea of nations.
(d) The development of a notion of humanity as a transcendent unity.
4. What did Michelet write after he had become the Conservator of the French Archives?
(a) Roman History.
(b) Introduction to Universal History.
(c) History of the Middle Ages.
(d) The Insect.
5. Where did Michelet begin his work on the French Revolution?
(a) With Locke and Rousseau.
(b) With the American Revolution.
(c) With feudalism.
(d) With the Rights of Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Owen put his idealistic notions into practice?
2. What did Michelet write as a result of his reading in the Renaissance?
3. Michelet believed the history of the 19th century was summed up by _________.
4. What was Taine distancing himself from in his work?
5. What did Fourier and Owen believe about the role of government?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)