|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapters 1-2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund Wilson say Taine tried to represent in his history?
(a) The pattern on the loom of French nationalist literature.
(b) The underlying economic laws that regulated French life.
(c) The reality of the France in which he lived.
(d) The underlying spiritual development in French culture.
2. What did Fourier and Owen believe about the relationship between groups and society?
(a) There should be small communes, then larger communities, then regional societies, then a loosely-affiliated confederacy. There should be absolute rule by an all-powerful monarch.
(b) There should be small, limited societies within the greater society.
(c) There should be absolute rule by an all-powerful monarch.
(d) There should be perfect freedom of mobility throughout a society, no matter how large.
3. What did Michelet write after he had become the Conservator of the French Archives?
(a) Introduction to Universal History.
(b) The Insect.
(c) Roman History.
(d) History of the Middle Ages.
4. The "Communist Manifesto" by Marx and Engel wanted to end ____________.
(a) Appropriation of land.
(b) The right of inheritance.
(c) Free education for children and workers.
(d) State run transportation.
5. What was the subject of Renan's The Future of Science?
(a) Philosophy in economics.
(b) Morality and faith in society.
(c) Conflict in scientific communities.
(d) Technology and science in religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who converted Engels in Cologne?
2. What did Fourier and Owen believed about wealth?
3. What was Marx's relationship with Engels after the 1850s?
4. Marx's study of economics contains a discrepancy because he included _______.
5. How did Engels characterize classical economic theories?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)