|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapters 9-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund Wilson say about the French artists' and intellectuals' engagement with politics after Louis Bonaparte became Emperor in 1851?
(a) They wanted to preserve the old feudal system of patronage.
(b) They wanted to create their own republic.
(c) They were deeply committed to fighting for the workers.
(d) They were not interested.
2. Why was Michelet suspended from his teaching post?
3. What did Michelet say about the French Revolution?
(a) The French Revolution was really a story about the development of military technology.
(b) The people were more important than the leaders.
(c) The masses would one day seize the means of production.
(d) The French Revolution was inseparable from developments in economic theory.
4. How did the "Communist Manifesto treat education?
(a) It should proselytize for Communism.
(b) It should be apolitical.
(c) It should be political.
(d) It should be free.
5. Where did Marx grow up?
Short Answer Questions
1. What thinker did Marx return to after he broke with Proudhon?
2. What was the one condition on which Proudhon agreed to Marx's project?
3. What was Saint-Simon's theory of history?
4. How old was Anatole France at the time of the Commune?
5. According to the author, Saint-Simon viewed society's goals as changing ______________.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)