|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ____________ Dharma seals of Buddha's teaching are: impermanence, nonself and nirvana.
2. Impermanence and nonself are _____________.
3. What is the second, shila paramita?
4. Mindfulness, investigation of phenomena, diligence, joy, ease, concentration and letting go are the seven factors of what?
5. The first of six paramitas, dana paramita, is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three Dharma seals?
2. Describe the Twelve Links.
3. What is the Sixth Power?
4. What is Dharmakaya?
5. For what does the author ask?
6. Describe to of the Five Aggregates.
7. What are the Three Doors of Liberation?
8. How should one go about finding a way to earn a living?
9. Describe a second paramita.
10. How is Buddha important as one of the three jewels of refuge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author gives advice on how to begin meditation.
Part 1) How should one begin meditation, according to the author? Why does he suggest this? How does this fit with Buddhist teachings?
Part 2) What else does the author say about meditation? How important is meditation? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe meditation is useful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Buddha taught the transformation of suffering and the use of suffering to liberate ourselves.
Part 1) What is suffering? What did Buddha believe causes suffering?
Part 2) How can suffering transform? How can one be liberated by suffering?
Part 3) What must be believed for one to be liberated by suffering? Do you agree with Buddha's teachings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are Three Dharma Seals of Buddha's teaching.
Part 1) What are these seals? how are they related to other aspects of Buddhism?
Part 2) How are these three connected to one another? How do those seals promote peace and joy?
Part 3) Why are these Dharma seals required in Buddhism? Why are they so important?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)