|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first of the Five Faculties?
2. Relying on the Buddha within are we, ourselves, the Buddha?
3. Practicing _________________ transforms our habit energies and recognizes the sameness of everything and everyone.
4. Composing or performing art can be what?
5. Like the relationship of a plant and the earth, when we take refuge in Buddha, ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe two more Aggregates.
2. What is the foundation of Buddhism?
3. What are the three Dharma seals?
4. What is the relationship between Buddha's teachings?
5. Describe a second paramita.
6. What are the seven factors of awakening or enlightenment?
7. What is said about love and happiness in this chapter?
8. How is nonself important?
9. What is a paramita? Describe one of the paramitas.
10. How is Buddha important as one of the three jewels of refuge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One should be compassionate when listening and speaking.
Part 1) How is this related to the Miracles of Mindfulness? How can one listen and speak with compassion?
Part 2) How can this be soothing and healing for the speaker? How can this be soothing and healing for the listener?
Part 3) How can compassionate listening and speaking improve relationships? When have you experienced compassionate listening or speaking? How did it affect you?
Essay Topic 2
There are three jewels of refuge in Buddhism.
Part 1) What are these three jewels of refuge? How do these help a believer?
Part 2) How do these compare to other religion's places of refuge?
Part 3) Are these three jewels of refuge equally important? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are Five Aggregates.
Part 1) What are the Five Aggregates? Do you agree that these Five Aggregates make up a human being? Why or why not?
Part 2) How are these Five Aggregates tied together? How do they help bind the other principles of Buddhism together?
Part 3) How might this knowledge of the self affect you? Why?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)