|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Practicing impermanence helps us do what?
2. Looking beyond signs means what?
3. The Five Faculties are powers that can help us do what?
4. What are the Five Aggregates?
5. Hanh asks us to practice transformation by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three Dharma seals?
2. What is Dharmakaya?
3. Describe two more Aggregates.
4. What are the Three Doors of Liberation?
5. How is Buddha important as one of the three jewels of refuge?
6. What is the foundation of Buddhism?
7. How is nonself important?
8. What is the Sixth Power?
9. What is said about love and happiness in this chapter?
10. Describe a second paramita.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One's living is important.
Part 1) What type of living is important? Why is this important?
Part 2) How does this reinforce Buddha's teaching? How can this Right-living lead to peace and joy?
Part 3) How does one's living affect others? How does it affect the world?
Essay Topic 2
Buddha taught the transformation of suffering and the use of suffering to liberate ourselves.
Part 1) What is suffering? What did Buddha believe causes suffering?
Part 2) How can suffering transform? How can one be liberated by suffering?
Part 3) What must be believed for one to be liberated by suffering? Do you agree with Buddha's teachings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One should be compassionate when listening and speaking.
Part 1) How is this related to the Miracles of Mindfulness? How can one listen and speak with compassion?
Part 2) How can this be soothing and healing for the speaker? How can this be soothing and healing for the listener?
Part 3) How can compassionate listening and speaking improve relationships? When have you experienced compassionate listening or speaking? How did it affect you?
This section contains 1,253 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)