|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Discourse on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness notes how many objects for mindfulness practice?
2. The practice of the Five Mindfulness Trainings addresses what?
3. We are always giving our attention to something, and it often does what?
4. When we appreciate what, we can find conditions for happiness that are already available?
5. Another reminder, "Hello, habit energy," reminds us to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first stage of the Third Noble Truth and the second turning.
2. Why does Siddhartha Gutama sit under a bodhi tree? What happens while he is sitting here?
3. What is the fifth Mindfulness training? What does Hanh say about alcohol in this section?
4. What comprises Buddhism?
5. What is Right Diligence or Effort?
6. What is the practice of the Five Mindfulness Trainings?
7. What does Right Action mean?
8. What did Siddhartha Gutama teach?
9. What are two of the Miracles of Mindfulness? What is the importance of the first four Miracles of Mindfulness?
10. Describe the first two turnings of the wheel of Dharma.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are Five Aggregates.
Part 1) What are the Five Aggregates? Do you agree that these Five Aggregates make up a human being? Why or why not?
Part 2) How are these Five Aggregates tied together? How do they help bind the other principles of Buddhism together?
Part 3) How might this knowledge of the self affect you? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The author gives advice on how to begin meditation.
Part 1) How should one begin meditation, according to the author? Why does he suggest this? How does this fit with Buddhist teachings?
Part 2) What else does the author say about meditation? How important is meditation? Why?
Part 3) Do you believe meditation is useful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are miracles of mindfulness.
Part 1) What are these miracles of mindfulness? How is Right Mindfulness at the heart of Buddha's teachings?
Part 2) How might these be considered miracles? What is the connection between these miracles and suffering? How might these miracles lead one to paradise?
Part 3) How could these miracles of mindfulness change your life? How could they change your school? Your community?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)