|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hanh suggests what to remind us to use right speech on the telephone?
2. What does seeing the cause of our suffering do to our suffering?
3. Siddhartha Gutama sat under a bodhi tree and vowed not to get up until when?
4. How should we treat our suffering?
5. The Buddha said, "The moment you know how your suffering came to be, you are already _________________."
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Right View?
2. For how long does Buddha teach the Eightfold Path?
3. What is suffering?
4. What does Right Action mean?
5. What are the four nutriments? Describe these nutriments.
6. What are vitark and vichara? When are they no longer present?
7. How can one avoid unwholesome thoughts? How can one touch the seeds of joy and peace and transform our suffering?
8. What does Buddha think of perception?
9. What did Siddhartha Gutama teach?
10. What is used to understand the Four Noble Truths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are Three Doors of Liberation.
Part 1) What are these Three Doors of Liberation? How are they opened by the Dharma Seals?
Part 2) How do these Doors compare to other aspects of Buddhism?
Part 3) Are these required to be truly liberated and joyful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are miracles of mindfulness.
Part 1) What are these miracles of mindfulness? How is Right Mindfulness at the heart of Buddha's teachings?
Part 2) How might these be considered miracles? What is the connection between these miracles and suffering? How might these miracles lead one to paradise?
Part 3) How could these miracles of mindfulness change your life? How could they change your school? Your community?
Essay Topic 3
Hahn feels we must be mindful of our well-being and happiness.
Part 1) What steps can be taken to be mindful or our well-being and happiness?
Part 2) What nourishes your joy? How? how can you enhance they joy and happiness in your life in accord with Buddha's teachings?
Part 3) How do the Noble Truths play a part in understanding and increasing your joy and happiness?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)