|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Right Speech is speaking how?
2. What does it mean to look deeply?
3. What is the goal of right Concentration?
4. To whom does the author suggest going and showing your pain?
5. What is the fourth nutriment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Right View?
2. How can one find conditions for happiness that are already available?
3. What did Siddhartha Gutama teach?
4. What does Buddha say about suffering and nirvana?
5. Why do we suffer?
6. What is a misunderstanding about suffering?
7. What are the four nutriments? Describe these nutriments.
8. What is the fifth Mindfulness training? What does Hanh say about alcohol in this section?
9. For how long does Buddha teach the Eightfold Path?
10. What does the author say about the Discourse on the Four Establishments of Mindfulness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are Three Dharma Seals of Buddha's teaching.
Part 1) What are these seals? how are they related to other aspects of Buddhism?
Part 2) How are these three connected to one another? How do those seals promote peace and joy?
Part 3) Why are these Dharma seals required in Buddhism? Why are they so important?
Essay Topic 2
Some have tried to prove suffering on earth.
Part 1) How might people have tried to prove suffering on earth? is this good or bad? Why?
Part 2) What does the author have to say about this? What does this reveal about Buddhism?
Part 3) Do you agree with the author in regards to proving suffering on earth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Hahn compares life to a wave.
Part 1) Describe this illustration. How does this support Buddhism?
Part 2) How does this illustration compare to your own beliefs about life?
Part 3) How might one's life change when viewing life as a wave? Why?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)