|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is said that if you try to explain every word of the sutras, what happens?
(a) You embarrass Buddha and yourself.
(b) You will die.
(c) Others will become confused.
(d) You slander Buddha in past, present and future.
2. We can learn calming by recognition, acceptance, ________________, looking deeply and insight.
3. Speaking each person's individual language, like Bodhisattva, or writing a letter using Right speech, can do what?
(a) Benefit the receiver.
(b) Benefit the sender.
(c) Benefit no one.
(d) Benefit sender and receiver.
4. The practice of the Five Mindfulness Trainings addresses what?
(a) The "bad" we ingest.
(b) The nutriments.
(c) The "good" we ingest.
(d) The "goods" we ingest.
5. "To practice social justice and non-exploitation, we have to use __________________."
(a) Right Diligence.
(b) Right Effort.
(c) Right Speech.
(d) Right Concentration.
6. We must practice what to understand the Four Noble Truths?
(b) The twelve turnings of the wheel of Dharma.
7. Can Right View be taught?
8. Non-thinking allows us to enter reality __________.
(a) Almost completely.
9. Our habit energies bring about what?
10. Hanh explains that Buddha was a man who suffered, and that we can enter his heart now only because we ______________.
(a) Have joy.
(b) Do not suffer.
(c) Are happy.
11. Why does Hanh suggest the reader to write the words, "Are you sure?" where they can be seen, and "What am I doing?"
(a) To remind us to release thinking and be in the present moment.
(b) To remind us to never be too sure.
(c) To remind us we are wrong.
(d) To remind us to question ourselves.
12. Hanh feels we need to be mindful of what?
(a) Our actions.
(b) Our well-being and happiness.
(c) Our words.
(d) Our thoughts.
13. The Fourth Noble Truth is recognizing that the Eightfold Path of Right View, Thinking, Speech, Action, Livelihood, Diligence, Mindfulness and Concentration can do what?
(a) Lead us to confusion.
(b) Lead us astray.
(c) Lead us out of suffering.
(d) Guide us down the wrong path.
14. The third Mindfulness training is about what?
(a) Sexual responsibility.
(b) Ingesting healthy foods.
(c) Community responsibility.
(d) Parental responsibilty.
15. What do the Four Establishments of Mindfulness do?
(a) Help us to forget suffering.
(b) Identify our feelings.
(c) Create a place of refuge for ourselves and others.
(d) Transform our suffering as well as the suffering of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. We need to learn to speak only with what?
2. Is concentration to ignore suffering?
3. Buddha taught the Eightfold Path until when?
4. What is active concentration?
5. Transforming by changing our behavior and practicing can bring suffering to an end and increase what?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)