|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of fighters does Lee describe as using techniques and tactics learned by repetition without considering the reason?
2. Lee explains that the ______ starts an offensive maneuver as a feint to build up an opening with foot movement.
3. What does Lee compare a man's movement to without obstruction?
4. What does Lee claim is a denial of one's being?
5. Compound attacks are characterized as _____ with short, fast combinations, or _____ with deep, penetrative, and fast combinations.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does rolling minimize the fighter's punch?
2. What type of pressure does Lee imply is used in envelopment?
3. Attack on preparation stops an opponent before the plan is matured. Does this attack requires physical training, mental training or both?
4. Describe Lee's concept of the circle with no circumference.
5. How does an empty mind help a fighter?
6. Lee died before a full and detailed explanation of attacks could be provided. Do you think the editors completed Chapter 7 successfully, or might there be important details missing?
7. Lee describes the speed of a simple attack as both "smooth and explosive." How might it be possible to achieve this state?
8. How does rhythm prepare the fighter in Jeet Kune Do?
9. What might happen if a fighter parries too early?
10. Based on the teachings in Chapter 6, what do you think is the best strategy for getting an opponent off balance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on your reading of the text, what are some ways that creativity can be expressed in Jeet Kune Do?
Essay Topic 2
What are some keys in Jeet Kune Do to a successful offense? What are some keys to a successful defense? Does Lee stress one way over the other?
Essay Topic 3
Lee describes two types of fighters. One is mechanical. The other is intellectual.
Part 1) Describe a mechanical fighter during combat.
Part 2) Describe an intellectual fighter during combat.
Part 3) Explain which fighter has the advantage, if any. If there is no advantage, explain why.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)