|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a balanced forward advance of the body through a series of short sliding steps forward?
2. What does Lee teach is the purpose of a feint?
3. What attack occurs in the same line as the original action when the opponent retreats without a parry?
4. What does Lee say is the highest priority as techniques mastered are forgotten to float in totality?
5. What does Lee teach a fighter may minimize by feinting, changing body position or using a variety of attacks and defenses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to previous learning while training in Jeet Kune Do?
2. What does Lee mean by the term, "milling on the retreat?"
3. Lee writes, "Effort should be applied to the work to be done as if nothing particular is happening. " Name an example from everyday life and how this principle might work.
4. How does rhythm prepare the fighter in Jeet Kune Do?
5. In Chapter 6, Lee says that footwork is better than using arms to avoid kicks or blows. Why does he emphasize footwork?
6. What might a fight look like where two fighters have different fighting measures?
7. Describe Lee's concept of the circle with no circumference.
8. What makes a good feint in Jeet Kune Do threatening?
9. How does an empty mind help a fighter?
10. How does rolling minimize the fighter's punch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with Lee's claim that Western boxing is overbearing and Eastern martial arts are overprotective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Lee identifies six diseases that are proposed as desires. He says they are attachments.
Part 1) Why does Lee consider attachments diseases?
Part 2) Which of the diseases he describes do you feel is most prevalent today?
Part 3) What might Lee suggest to diffuse the problem you have described?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jeet Kune Do include chokes and foul tactics, such as skin pinching? Do you feel these tactics should be allowed in any martial art or sport? Explain your answer.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)