|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lee distinguish the parry from a block?
2. Which Jeet Kune Do technique moves the body with a blow, thereby nullifying its value?
3. What is the rhythm of the single feint?
4. What does Lee say changes continuously with the speed, agility, and control of fighters?
5. Lee describes the parry as a light and easy sudden ______ of the hand from inside or outside to deflect a blow from ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does rhythm prepare the fighter in Jeet Kune Do?
2. In Chapter 6, Lee says that footwork is better than using arms to avoid kicks or blows. Why does he emphasize footwork?
3. Why are direct attacks rare in Jeet Kune Do?
4. What might happen if a fighter parries too early?
5. Based on the teachings in Chapter 6, what do you think is the best strategy for getting an opponent off balance?
6. Describe Lee's concept of the circle with no circumference.
7. What happens to previous learning while training in Jeet Kune Do?
8. Lee died before a full and detailed explanation of attacks could be provided. Do you think the editors completed Chapter 7 successfully, or might there be important details missing?
9. How does rolling minimize the fighter's punch?
10. Why does Lee feel that Jeet Kune Do is not just a technique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is strength from weight training alone inadequate? How does Lee propose one develop physical strength? How does one develop spiritual strength?
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree with Lee's claim that Western boxing is overbearing and Eastern martial arts are overprotective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Based on your reading of the text, what are some ways that creativity can be expressed in Jeet Kune Do?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)