|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lee says that the tools of Jeet Kune Do are at the center of an undefined circle whose circumference allows _____.
2. What does Lee say is the highest priority as techniques mastered are forgotten to float in totality?
3. What move does Lee claim takes the opponent's hand off target by returning it in a circular motion to the line of engagement?
4. What does Lee say includes everything and excludes nothing?
5. What move does Lee say can be used to open the line by force or to feint before an attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does rhythm prepare the fighter in Jeet Kune Do?
2. What does Lee mean by the term, "milling on the retreat?"
3. Attack on preparation stops an opponent before the plan is matured. Does this attack requires physical training, mental training or both?
4. Lee writes, "Effort should be applied to the work to be done as if nothing particular is happening. " Name an example from everyday life and how this principle might work.
5. What might a fight look like where two fighters have different fighting measures?
6. Lee describes the speed of a simple attack as both "smooth and explosive." How might it be possible to achieve this state?
7. How does an empty mind help a fighter?
8. What might happen if a fighter parries too early?
9. How can a beat be used against an opponent who is fast and cannot be feinted?
10. Why are direct attacks rare in Jeet Kune Do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lee describes two types of fighters. One is mechanical. The other is intellectual.
Part 1) Describe a mechanical fighter during combat.
Part 2) Describe an intellectual fighter during combat.
Part 3) Explain which fighter has the advantage, if any. If there is no advantage, explain why.
Essay Topic 2
Jeet Kune Do offers a path to self-knowledge. How does Jeet Kune Do help one cultivate self-knowledge? What are some other ways people can attain self-knowledge, besides studying a martial art?
Essay Topic 3
Do you agree with Lee's claim that Western boxing is overbearing and Eastern martial arts are overprotective? Why or why not?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)