|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author suggests that the lack of _____ lets things disclose themselves.
2. Lee states that _____ requires the mind be not for or against.
3. What does Lee say is the result of training the nervous system to form effective connections or synapses?
4. What does increased tissue elasticity reduce?
5. What does Lee say occurs while warming up that reduces viscosity and resistance of muscle to its own movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who helped Lee in the writing and publication of his book?
2. What are some qualities of a Jeet Kune Do fighter?
3. A moon seen under the waves is proposed as an example of moving and not moving. What would be another example of moving and not moving?
4. Choose one of the types of speed that Lee outlines. Why do you think this type of speed is desirable for the Jeet Kune Do artist?
5. How is reaction time measured?
6. Why do different types of activities require different warm ups?
7. Why does the author believe Jeet Kune Do is an art?
8. Why does Lee mention tools of judo and ju-jitsu in Chapter 4?
9. Why does Lee suggest a wooden doll has no ego?
10. Why might Lee recommend imagining simple moves to counter an attacking opponent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Weapons used in Jeet Kune Do are classified by leg, hand, and elbow techniques, head butt, and miscellaneous groups. Why does Lee consider the body and its actions weapons? How are these weapons different from physical objects that people use in or out of martial arts?
Essay Topic 2
Lee writes "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" while he is on bed rest.
Part 1) Do you think he would have written this book if he had not been injured? Why or why not?
Part 2) What was his purpose in writing the book?
Part 3) How did Lee's wife, editor and friends help complete his work?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jeet Kune Do? Compare and contrast it to other types of fighting or martial arts.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)