|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lee says that a Jeet Kune Do fighter confronts ______, not a ______ of form.
2. What does Lee say is the result of training the nervous system to form effective connections or synapses?
3. What state of mind should a student have while training?
4. What does Lee say is required to prepare the athlete for strenuous physical performance?
5. How does Lee suggest a series of punches end?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do different types of activities require different warm ups?
2. Who helped Lee in the writing and publication of his book?
3. Why do Lee and the editor devote so much detail to the on-guard position and proper posture?
4. How is reaction time measured?
5. Why does the author believe Jeet Kune Do is an art?
6. How does Lee describe muscle tension working like a brake?
7. Why are the weapons of Jeet Kune Do parts of the body, rather than actual objects?
8. What does Lee mean when he says, "The strike should be felt before it is seen?"
9. What makes Jeet Kune Do a simple martial art?
10. When is reaction time longer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can a martial art that uses very specific movements be considered simple? Which of Lee's teachings do you find most simple? Which of his teachings could be applied to the world outside of martial arts?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a sport, not related to any martial art. Explain how the teachings of Jeet Kune Do could be applied to this sport. How would it help athletes physically and mentally?
Essay Topic 3
Lee describes two types of fighters. One is mechanical. The other is intellectual.
Part 1) Describe a mechanical fighter during combat.
Part 2) Describe an intellectual fighter during combat.
Part 3) Explain which fighter has the advantage, if any. If there is no advantage, explain why.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)