|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author suggests that the lack of _____ lets things disclose themselves.
2. What example of moving and not moving does Lee use?
3. The success of Jeet Kune Do, Lee says, lies in its freedom to use or dispense with _____.
4. What does Bruce Lee call over-daring because it forbids illegal and unfair tactics?
5. Lee suggests that speed and _____ from many angles should be used in stop-hit training.
Short Essay Questions
1. How might exercises that imitate moves used in the event be beneficial, as Lee claims?
2. Choose one of the types of speed that Lee outlines. Why do you think this type of speed is desirable for the Jeet Kune Do artist?
3. What do you imagine a "poker body" might look and feel like?
4. Why do different types of activities require different warm ups?
5. Who helped Lee in the writing and publication of his book?
6. Why might Lee recommend imagining simple moves to counter an attacking opponent?
7. A moon seen under the waves is proposed as an example of moving and not moving. What would be another example of moving and not moving?
8. Why does Lee suggest a wooden doll has no ego?
9. What does Lee mean when he says, "The strike should be felt before it is seen?"
10. How does Lee describe the "shortened lever" principle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lee embraces the Zen concept of enlightenment. What does it mean to be enlightened? How can achieving this state help a fighter?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a sport, not related to any martial art. Explain how the teachings of Jeet Kune Do could be applied to this sport. How would it help athletes physically and mentally?
Essay Topic 3
What are some keys in Jeet Kune Do to a successful offense? What are some keys to a successful defense? Does Lee stress one way over the other?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)