|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Deborah blame for the breakup?
2. What does the girl pull out from under her bed?
3. Where did Bernie and the girl meet?
4. At their apartment, what does Joan reveal was a problem with her last boyfriend?
5. What is Deborah's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Joan tell her kindergartners?
2. What question regarding religion and sex does Bernie's television program pose?
3. How does Danny attempt to pick up Deborah in the library?
4. As Danny helps Deborah move out of her apartment, how does Joan behave?
5. Why have Bernie and Danny gone to the beach?
6. After they sleep together for the first time, what do Danny and Deborah agree to do next?
7. What is Bernie trying to prove when he describes his sexual escapade on the phone in front of Danny?
8. How is Act 26, when Danny is awake and Deborah is asleep, juxtaposed with the other scenes where they are in bed together?
9. What is Bernie's explanation for what constitutes a "pro"?
10. What is Joan's reaction when Deborah informs her she is moving in with Danny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character study of Joan Webber in Sexual Perversity in Chicago. Is Joan a static or a dynamic character, i.e., does she stay the same throughout the play or does she change? Did your opinion of Joan change throughout the play? Why or why not? Describe aspects of Joan's personality. How does she behave toward the other characters in the play? What drives her behavior? Why do you think the playwright decided to make Joan a kindergarten teacher? What is Joan's existential crisis? Feel free to use properly cited quotations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Deborah's story about the cookie and the hug. Try to answer her question in the context of the play: what is a sublimation of what? What signifies what? Do the characters think they need one thing but really need something else? Why or why not? Cite examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
In Sexual Perversity in Chicago, Danny and Bernie's friendship changes throughout the play. What happens? How does it change and why? At the end of the play are they back where they once were, or are things irrevocably different? Who is the dominant person in the relationship and why? What do Danny and Bernie have in common? How and why are they different? What are their attitudes toward women? Be sure to examine Bernie's behavior after he realizes Danny is serious about Deborah. How does Bernie make is opinions about Deborah clear? Does he dislike Deborah specifically, or is he against serious relationships with women in general?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)