|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Barbara have to talk about when it comes to the result of her test?
2. Ruthie decides to pour _____________ on Barbara's breakfast and jokes again and again that Barbara should be called Barbara Bush.
3. The Maids calculate their wages by ________, which makes it difficult to know what a person is being paid.
4. What is the first thing the woman in #118 found in order to help her get started in her new life?
5. Because of the low wages that are paid in the area, people who are working at minimum wage are expected to ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the titles that Wal-Mart wants its employees to think of themselves as?
2. When Barbara goes back to Wal-Mart in order to fill out a new test, what happens when she gets a few wrong?
3. After Barbara takes her drug test, what does she do in terms of her job hunting?
4. What does Menards offers to Barbara eventually when they call up to hire her?
5. What does Barbara do as the focus of her job at Wal-Mart, as it becomes clearer on the first shift?
6. What does Barbara decide about the entire hiring process after noticing she didn't even ask about salary at Menards?
7. What surprises Barbara about the cleaning method of The Maids, as described in the book?
8. Why does the author decide to go to Maine for her next working assignment?
9. What is the second job that the author takes on in addition to the maid job in Maine?
10. What is the story of Caroline, the women Barbara uses as a guide to her own difficult situation in Minneapolis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many of the jobs the author took, she was working for larger companies with nationwide stores and franchises.
Part 1: How do the larger companies differ from the smaller companies Barbara works for in the book?
Part 2: How might smaller companies treat their employees versus larger companies?
Part 3: Why do you think larger companies handle their employees as though they were really important, but then treat them like they are not?
Essay Topic 2
It seems that most of the places where Barbara worked didn't want to give employees any time off or any breaks.
Part 1: Why do you think the places of employment were unwilling to give breaks to the workers?
Part 2: What do you think may have happened to morale and productivity if the employees had been allowed to take breaks?
Part 3: Why do you think breaks are necessary within the course of a working shift?
Essay Topic 3
The costs of housing seem to be higher than one might expect, even for the year in which the author attempted this study.
Part 1: Why do you think housing costs are so high for such horrible apartments?
Part 2: Why do you think society and the government doesn't seem to recognize how exorbitant the housing prices are?
Part 3: Do you think housing prices can ever be completely fair? Why or why not?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)