|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The workers at The Maids get free ________ when they arrive at work in the morning, but have to wear uniforms.
2. What is the name of the test Barbara fills out when she is apply at The Maids job during the hiring process?
3. Why is it strange that the author decides to go to a religious revival meeting on her night off?
4. At the Wal-Mart job fair, Barbara fills out a long test which seems to push her into claiming total ___________ and complete obedience.
5. A look at the local free magazine reveals very little _________ Barbara can afford in the area where she is staying.
Essay Topic 1
Many times, the workers Barbara is with seem resigned to the life in which they have been a part.
Part 1: Why do you think the workers Barbara meets don't really understand that things could be better?
Part 2: Why do you think the workers around Barbara don't know their rights and don't believe them when Barbara tells them what they should expect?
Part 3: Why do you think the workers aren't motivated to do more for themselves?
Essay Topic 2
The working conditions in which you work might change you, according to Barbara.
Part 1: Why might the working conditions in which you are placed change the person you are?
Part 2: How do companies attempt to reshape and to mold the employees they have hired?
Part 3: What do you think happens when some people refuse to change for the job in which they have been hired? Why?
Essay Topic 3
One of the biggest beliefs the author holds about the way a person can better themselves in the world is that education can allow a person to do anything and to be something more.
Part 1: How does the author's educational level help her in the process of this project?
Part 2: Why do you think the other workers around the author don't realize she is more educated than them?
Part 3: Why do you think the author expected the others she worked with to notice her educational level? What does this say about the author?
This section contains 1,819 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)