|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city in Minnesota does Barbara choose in order to find a new job in her assignment?
2. When Barbara returns to her home in Clearview, she finds out that __________ is covering the floor of her room, requiring her to move to a new one.
3. What city in Maine does Barbara choose for her next working location during her assignment?
4. What does Barbara have to care for when she stays in a friend's house at the beginning of her adventure in Minnesota?
5. Given that The Maids are paid _______, Barbara doesn't understand why they need to rush through their duties.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author herself is white and someone who is certainly in the middle class, even if she's not working as though she was.
Part 1: In what ways might her 'white-ness' have affected the way her experience turned out?
Part 2: In what ways might her experience have been different had she been a man?
Part 3: In what ways might her experience have been different had she been of a different class or race?
Essay Topic 2
It could be said that the author's own personal experiences are influencing the way she sees the situations around her.
Part 1: How does one's past affect the way they see the future, do you think?
Part 2: In what ways are the author's descriptions and experiences influenced by her education and her past experiences?
Part 3: Do you think the author could ever be completely objective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many times, the workers Barbara is with seem resigned to the life in which they have been a part.
Part 1: Why do you think the workers Barbara meets don't really understand that things could be better?
Part 2: Why do you think the workers around Barbara don't know their rights and don't believe them when Barbara tells them what they should expect?
Part 3: Why do you think the workers aren't motivated to do more for themselves?
This section contains 1,803 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)