|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara is also not willing to make up a _____________ in order to pad her resume as she is going off to find jobs.
(b) Number of children
(c) False life
(d) Work life
2. What does Ehrenreich discover about her uniform when she is heading over to her second job?
(a) It is stained
(b) It is too small
(c) It is at home
(d) It is ripped
3. According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, in 1998, the hourly wage necessary to afford a one bedroom apartment was _________.
4. What are they listening to at full volume as they are cleaning each of the hotel rooms?
(a) Soap operas
(b) Rap music
(c) Their headphones
(d) Local news
5. Some of the coworkers have to pay $60 a night for a hotel room because they can not save up the ___________ for a first and last month rent payment.
Short Answer Questions
1. A middle aged waitress named __________ takes Barbara under her wing when she first begins her new job.
2. What is Barbara punished with when she points out that a manager is calling one of his employees by the incorrect name?
3. When Barbara is paired up with Carlie on her first shift, Carlie is angry they have 19 _________ to swab down in just one shift.
4. Barbara admits that at the end of the project, she did break down and ____________, stealthily, though, and never within hearing of management.
5. Barbara began to realize that the only thing that made her special and separate from others at her workplace was her lack of __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Barbara want to take on the assignment she actually suggested be done?
2. What is the one upside of the Twin Lakes apartment that compels Barbara to sign up for a lease there?
3. What surprises Barbara about the cleaning method of The Maids, as described in the book?
4. What is one of the serious challenges that Barbara has discovered about working in a low wage job?
5. When Barbara's skin breaks out in an odd rash, what does her boss seem to think the problem is?
6. What would have made it impossible for Barbara to stay in the Blue Haven Motel, even though she seemed to be doing well there?
7. If things get too rough during this experiment, what does Barbara say she will do in order to feel herself or to support herself?
8. What does Barbara find out about Gail and what she has to do when her boyfriend suddenly dies?
9. What does the prissy women at the first Maids job Barbara is on do for her baby?
10. What does the interviewer at a grocery store warn Barbara about when she puts in her application?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)