|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara will keep driving a beat up ____________ car, though she knows many minimum wage workers can not.
2. At the ____________, the interviewer Barbara meets warns her about labor organizers, to avoid them.
(c) Grocery store
3. What is the name of the cook who occasionally throws meat against the wall during his shift?
4. What are they listening to at full volume as they are cleaning each of the hotel rooms?
(a) Their headphones
(b) Soap operas
(c) Local news
(d) Rap music
5. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
(b) Once in a while
(c) On Mondays
(d) On Sundays
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara begins to realize that when she is a maid, she is not ____________ to be a maid. She really is a maid.
2. When Barbara is paired up with Carlie on her first shift, Carlie is angry they have 19 _________ to swab down in just one shift.
3. Barbara does not want to live a life of _________ or discomfort when it comes to this new assignment.
4. Some of the coworkers have to pay $60 a night for a hotel room because they can not save up the ___________ for a first and last month rent payment.
5. Barbara lets a sewer repairman spend a few minutes cooling off with a ________________ before taking his order.
Short Essay Questions
1. Once Barbara begins to let go of her elitist attitude, what does she realize about the workers around her?
2. What is the one thing that Barbara says she will not mention as she is applying and working during this experiment?
3. What is surprising to Barbara about the many places to which she has applied for a job?
4. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
5. What kind of job does Barbara say that she will take, money-wise, at least at the start of the experiment?
6. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
7. What does Barbara find out about Gail and what she has to do when her boyfriend suddenly dies?
8. When Stu says that drugs have been found at the restaurant, what do the employees speculate about this action?
9. What does the bad tempered cook like to do sometimes back in the kitchen, according to Barbara?
10. What happens if Barbara thinks she will have to go homeless, even for one night during this experiment?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)