|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara realizes that her use of a car is different as many minimum wage workers have to use _________ to get around.
(d) Their legs
2. What is the name of the young Czech dishwasher who Barbara befriends when she is working at the restaurant?
3. Barbara is surprised that she feels a strong urge to ________ the patrons who she meets.
4. What is Barbara punished with when she points out that a manager is calling one of his employees by the incorrect name?
(a) Loss of tips
(b) Being sent home early
(c) Reduced wages
(d) Extra work
5. Barbara admits she has two things going for her as a minimum wage worker - she is ________ and she is a native English speaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara wondered why there wasn't more indignation about her ruse, realizing that it was probably because people's notion of __________ is different than she thinks it should be.
2. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
3. Barbara will keep driving a beat up ____________ car, though she knows many minimum wage workers can not.
4. What did Barbara fear employers would think she was if she were to put the PhD on her resumes and applications?
5. Barbara notes that her sister constantly complained about the hopelessness of being a ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Barbara think the physical exertion of her new job should be bothering her so much?
2. How much does Barbara think she will have to make in order to pay her rent and for food during her stay in Florida?
3. What kind of job does Barbara say that she will take, money-wise, at least at the start of the experiment?
4. Once Barbara begins to let go of her elitist attitude, what does she realize about the workers around her?
5. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
6. When Stu says that drugs have been found at the restaurant, what do the employees speculate about this action?
7. What does the interviewer at a grocery store warn Barbara about when she puts in her application?
8. What are some of the other reasons why Barbara doesn't really want to take on the assignment of working for minimum wage?
9. Describe the first apartment that Barbara finds when she is out looking for her first new 'home' for the assignment.
10. What does Barbara think, at the start of the experiment, will be the biggest challenge during this assignment?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)