|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
(c) Higher education
2. What is the name Barbara uses for the family restaurant where she chooses to work first in Florida?
(b) Heartbreak Hotel
3. When a manager sees Barbara having a little __________ during her shift, she is scolded, but instead of fighting it, she walks out.
(c) Sip of water
4. Barbara began to realize that the only thing that made her special and separate from others at her workplace was her lack of __________.
(a) Ripped clothing
(d) Driver's license
5. The management at the restaurant try to keep Barbara __________ at every moment of her shift, even when it's slow.
Short Answer Questions
1. One manager threatens to take the _______________ privilege from the employees even though this is their only hideout to smoke or eat.
2. Barbara's father had been a _____________; her uncles and grandfathers worked in the mines or for the Union Pacific.
3. Barbara is surprised that she feels a strong urge to ________ the patrons who she meets.
4. What did Barbara fear employers would think she was if she were to put the PhD on her resumes and applications?
5. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barbara find out about Gail and what she has to do when her boyfriend suddenly dies?
2. What happens if Barbara thinks she will have to go homeless, even for one night during this experiment?
3. What is surprising to Barbara about the many places to which she has applied for a job?
4. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
5. What does Barbara feel she is compelled to do with the patrons at Hearthside, where she works as a waitress?
6. What do the managers do to Barbara when she is an employee at Hearthside, she realizes as she continues to work there?
7. What does the interviewer at a grocery store warn Barbara about when she puts in her application?
8. Why do people end up living with others or in conditions they don't want to live in, according to Barbara?
9. Why doesn't Barbara think the physical exertion of her new job should be bothering her so much?
10. What does the bad tempered cook like to do sometimes back in the kitchen, according to Barbara?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)