|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The other restaurant that Barbara works at during her time in Florida is called ___________, a chain with huge food and calorie packed dishes.
2. The management at the restaurant try to keep Barbara __________ at every moment of her shift, even when it's slow.
3. When a manager sees Barbara having a little __________ during her shift, she is scolded, but instead of fighting it, she walks out.
(b) Sip of water
4. Barbara feels to truly replicate the experience of a minimum wage worker, she would need to have a few __________ in tow too.
(a) Bill collectors
5. __________ is a city in which Barbara is afraid she might be recognized, so she looks for work in a nearby city.
(a) New York
(b) Key West
(c) Key Largo
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
2. Barbara will take the ____________ paying minimum wage job she can find when she's off on assignment.
3. Barbara can not afford gas money because of the $30 she has to spend on a ___________ for her restaurant job.
4. When the going gets too rough for Barbara, she admits she will use ____________ to get by.
5. What would Barbara use in order to document her daily experiences after her shifts were done for the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the interviewer at a grocery store warn Barbara about when she puts in her application?
2. What is surprising to Barbara about the many places to which she has applied for a job?
3. What do the managers do to Barbara when she is an employee at Hearthside, she realizes as she continues to work there?
4. What kind of job does Barbara say that she will take, money-wise, at least at the start of the experiment?
5. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
6. Once Barbara begins to let go of her elitist attitude, what does she realize about the workers around her?
7. What statement does the author make which leads to her getting the assignment to write this book?
8. What will Barbara not rely on in order to get a job and to support herself, as one of the rules of her experiment?
9. How much does Barbara think she will have to make in order to pay her rent and for food during her stay in Florida?
10. Why does Barbara want to take on the assignment she actually suggested be done?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)