|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The businesses place ads in the paper so they can always have a pool of __________ from which to hire at any time.
(c) Cheap labor
(d) Desperate workers
2. For what magazine does the author of "Nickel and Dimed" work when she is beginning her assignment?
(a) New York Times
(b) New England Journal
(c) NY Gazette
(d) New Yorker
3. Having spend her life with ____________ struggling people, the author is not happy about getting the assignment.
(a) Middle class
(b) Upper class
(c) Lower class
4. Barbara's father had been a _____________; her uncles and grandfathers worked in the mines or for the Union Pacific.
(c) Restaurant owner
(d) Copper miner
5. When a manager sees Barbara having a little __________ during her shift, she is scolded, but instead of fighting it, she walks out.
(a) Sip of water
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the 'dream job' that Barbara lands in addition to her restaurant job, taking on both when in Florida?
2. What did Barbara fear employers would think she was if she were to put the PhD on her resumes and applications?
3. The management at the restaurant try to keep Barbara __________ at every moment of her shift, even when it's slow.
4. Barbara notes that she made a rule that she had to work hard at her jobs to keep them, not go off on ________ rants or sneak off to read novels in the ladies' room.
5. Barbara is surprised that she feels a strong urge to ________ the patrons who she meets.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
2. What statement does the author make which leads to her getting the assignment to write this book?
3. Why doesn't Barbara think the physical exertion of her new job should be bothering her so much?
4. How much does Barbara think she will have to make in order to pay her rent and for food during her stay in Florida?
5. When Stu says that drugs have been found at the restaurant, what do the employees speculate about this action?
6. What does Barbara feel she is compelled to do with the patrons at Hearthside, where she works as a waitress?
7. What do the managers do to Barbara when she is an employee at Hearthside, she realizes as she continues to work there?
8. Why do people end up living with others or in conditions they don't want to live in, according to Barbara?
9. What will Barbara not rely on in order to get a job and to support herself, as one of the rules of her experiment?
10. Once Barbara begins to let go of her elitist attitude, what does she realize about the workers around her?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)