|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Barbara's PhD in, according to her own admittance?
(b) Public Policy
2. According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, in 1998, the hourly wage necessary to afford a one bedroom apartment was _________.
3. Later it is rumored that Stu was guilty of stealing money to support his __________ habit.
(d) Crack cocaine
4. Some of the coworkers have to pay $60 a night for a hotel room because they can not save up the ___________ for a first and last month rent payment.
5. One manager threatens to take the _______________ privilege from the employees even though this is their only hideout to smoke or eat.
(c) Break room
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara wondered why there wasn't more indignation about her ruse, realizing that it was probably because people's notion of __________ is different than she thinks it should be.
2. Having spend her life with ____________ struggling people, the author is not happy about getting the assignment.
3. How long do Carlie and Barbara work before they take a break from their housekeeping work?
4. What are they listening to at full volume as they are cleaning each of the hotel rooms?
5. __________ is a city in which Barbara is afraid she might be recognized, so she looks for work in a nearby city.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the managers do to Barbara when she is an employee at Hearthside, she realizes as she continues to work there?
2. Describe the first apartment that Barbara finds when she is out looking for her first new 'home' for the assignment.
3. What will Barbara drive when she is a part of this experiment in working for minimum wage?
4. How much does Barbara think she will have to make in order to pay her rent and for food during her stay in Florida?
5. What are some of the other reasons why Barbara doesn't really want to take on the assignment of working for minimum wage?
6. Why doesn't Barbara think the physical exertion of her new job should be bothering her so much?
7. What does the bad tempered cook like to do sometimes back in the kitchen, according to Barbara?
8. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
9. What is surprising to Barbara about the many places to which she has applied for a job?
10. What does the interviewer at a grocery store warn Barbara about when she puts in her application?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)