|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
(b) On Mondays
(c) On Sundays
(d) Once in a while
2. Barbara began to realize that the only thing that made her special and separate from others at her workplace was her lack of __________.
(a) Ripped clothing
(c) Driver's license
3. At the ____________, the interviewer Barbara meets warns her about labor organizers, to avoid them.
(d) Grocery store
4. Barbara feels to truly replicate the experience of a minimum wage worker, she would need to have a few __________ in tow too.
(b) Bill collectors
5. Since Barbara is far from any grocery store, she needs to live on __________ when she eats.
(a) Diet soda
(b) Work food
(c) Energy bars
(d) Fast food
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Barbara fear employers would think she was if she were to put the PhD on her resumes and applications?
2. Barbara will take the ____________ paying minimum wage job she can find when she's off on assignment.
3. When the drug testing is supposed to begin, the employees speculate that it is _________ who is guilty of the drug issue.
4. Barbara can not afford gas money because of the $30 she has to spend on a ___________ for her restaurant job.
5. What is the name Barbara uses for the family restaurant where she chooses to work first in Florida?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people end up living with others or in conditions they don't want to live in, according to Barbara?
2. What kind of job does Barbara say that she will take, money-wise, at least at the start of the experiment?
3. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
4. When Stu says that drugs have been found at the restaurant, what do the employees speculate about this action?
5. Describe the first apartment that Barbara finds when she is out looking for her first new 'home' for the assignment.
6. What is the one thing that Barbara says she will not mention as she is applying and working during this experiment?
7. What statement does the author make which leads to her getting the assignment to write this book?
8. What does the interviewer at a grocery store warn Barbara about when she puts in her application?
9. What will Barbara not rely on in order to get a job and to support herself, as one of the rules of her experiment?
10. What happens if Barbara thinks she will have to go homeless, even for one night during this experiment?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)