|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara says that she will not rely on her superior ______________ to support herself.
(b) Name recognition
2. Barbara promises to spend a _________ in each location in order to get a sense of the area.
(d) Few months
3. Barbara is also not willing to make up a _____________ in order to pad her resume as she is going off to find jobs.
(a) Work life
(b) False life
(d) Number of children
4. The author most dislikes the visible __________ at the restaurant where she works since they complain and never leave good tips.
5. Who is Barbara Ehrenreich's editor, the one who assigns her the story that became this book?
(a) Louis Lanston
(b) Stu Manshet
(c) Lewis Lapham
(d) Joseph Truman
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young Czech dishwasher who Barbara befriends when she is working at the restaurant?
2. Barbara admits that at the end of the project, she did break down and ____________, stealthily, though, and never within hearing of management.
3. The author also doesn't want to live in an _____________ building when she is off on her assignment.
4. What does Jerry's restaurant close off to employees since they don't want other employees lingering there during breaks?
5. The manager, ________, yells at Barbara for a confused breakfast and a yuppie customer complains too.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barbara find out about Gail and what she has to do when her boyfriend suddenly dies?
2. What is surprising to Barbara about the many places to which she has applied for a job?
3. Why doesn't Barbara think the physical exertion of her new job should be bothering her so much?
4. What do the managers do to Barbara when she is an employee at Hearthside, she realizes as she continues to work there?
5. What will Barbara not rely on in order to get a job and to support herself, as one of the rules of her experiment?
6. Why do people end up living with others or in conditions they don't want to live in, according to Barbara?
7. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
8. What will Barbara drive when she is a part of this experiment in working for minimum wage?
9. What kind of job does Barbara say that she will take, money-wise, at least at the start of the experiment?
10. When Stu says that drugs have been found at the restaurant, what do the employees speculate about this action?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)