|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Preamble Center for Public Policy noted that the odds against a typical welfare recipient's landing a job at a ______ were about 97 to 1.
(c) Living wage
(d) Minimum age
2. Barbara is also not willing to make up a _____________ in order to pad her resume as she is going off to find jobs.
(a) False life
(b) Number of children
(d) Work life
3. The manager, ________, yells at Barbara for a confused breakfast and a yuppie customer complains too.
4. The other restaurant that Barbara works at during her time in Florida is called ___________, a chain with huge food and calorie packed dishes.
5. At the ____________, the interviewer Barbara meets warns her about labor organizers, to avoid them.
(c) Grocery store
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara's father had been a _____________; her uncles and grandfathers worked in the mines or for the Union Pacific.
2. What is the name Barbara uses for the family restaurant where she chooses to work first in Florida?
3. As Barbara downs coffee who does she notice is looking haggard when she shows up for her next job?
4. What did Barbara fear employers would think she was if she were to put the PhD on her resumes and applications?
5. When the drug testing is supposed to begin, the employees speculate that it is _________ who is guilty of the drug issue.
Short Essay Questions
1. Once Barbara begins to let go of her elitist attitude, what does she realize about the workers around her?
2. What statement does the author make which leads to her getting the assignment to write this book?
3. What does the bad tempered cook like to do sometimes back in the kitchen, according to Barbara?
4. If things get too rough during this experiment, what does Barbara say she will do in order to feel herself or to support herself?
5. What are some of the other reasons why Barbara doesn't really want to take on the assignment of working for minimum wage?
6. What happens if Barbara thinks she will have to go homeless, even for one night during this experiment?
7. When Stu says that drugs have been found at the restaurant, what do the employees speculate about this action?
8. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
9. What does Barbara feel she is compelled to do with the patrons at Hearthside, where she works as a waitress?
10. What will Barbara not rely on in order to get a job and to support herself, as one of the rules of her experiment?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)