|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara notes that she made a rule that she had to work hard at her jobs to keep them, not go off on ________ rants or sneak off to read novels in the ladies' room.
2. Barbara lets a sewer repairman spend a few minutes cooling off with a ________________ before taking his order.
(a) Glass of ice water
(c) Newspaper fan
(d) Iced tea
3. Barbara begins to realize that when she is a maid, she is not ____________ to be a maid. She really is a maid.
4. When the going gets too rough for Barbara, she admits she will use ____________ to get by.
(c) Her resume
(d) Credit cards
5. The businesses place ads in the paper so they can always have a pool of __________ from which to hire at any time.
(b) Desperate workers
(d) Cheap labor
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young Czech dishwasher who Barbara befriends when she is working at the restaurant?
2. The other staff of the hotel refuses to exchange _________ with the housekeepers or show any sort of respect.
3. For what magazine does the author of "Nickel and Dimed" work when she is beginning her assignment?
4. Barbara notes that her sister constantly complained about the hopelessness of being a ____________.
5. The author also doesn't want to live in an _____________ building when she is off on her assignment.
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of job does Barbara say that she will take, money-wise, at least at the start of the experiment?
2. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
3. What is the one thing that Barbara says she will not mention as she is applying and working during this experiment?
4. What is surprising to Barbara about the many places to which she has applied for a job?
5. How much does Barbara think she will have to make in order to pay her rent and for food during her stay in Florida?
6. What statement does the author make which leads to her getting the assignment to write this book?
7. Why doesn't Barbara think the physical exertion of her new job should be bothering her so much?
8. What happens if Barbara thinks she will have to go homeless, even for one night during this experiment?
9. What does Barbara find out about Gail and what she has to do when her boyfriend suddenly dies?
10. If things get too rough during this experiment, what does Barbara say she will do in order to feel herself or to support herself?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)