|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Barbara asks the manager of her trailer park to donate her security deposit to ________.
2. How long do Carlie and Barbara work before they take a break from their housekeeping work?
(a) 8 hours
(b) 10 hours
(c) 5 hours
(d) 4 hours
3. Barbara will keep driving a beat up ____________ car, though she knows many minimum wage workers can not.
4. What is the name Barbara uses for the family restaurant where she chooses to work first in Florida?
(b) Heartbreak Hotel
5. Barbara admits she has two things going for her as a minimum wage worker - she is ________ and she is a native English speaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barbara is surprised that she feels a strong urge to ________ the patrons who she meets.
2. What is Barbara's PhD in, according to her own admittance?
3. Barbara certainly does not want to do hard ________ labor when she is working at her new jobs.
4. The management at the restaurant try to keep Barbara __________ at every moment of her shift, even when it's slow.
5. According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, in 1998, the hourly wage necessary to afford a one bedroom apartment was _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author decide to go to Maine for her next working assignment?
2. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
3. Describe the first apartment that Barbara finds when she is out looking for her first new 'home' for the assignment.
4. What is one of the serious challenges that Barbara has discovered about working in a low wage job?
5. What will Barbara not rely on in order to get a job and to support herself, as one of the rules of her experiment?
6. What does Barbara feel she is compelled to do with the patrons at Hearthside, where she works as a waitress?
7. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
8. Why does Barbara want to take on the assignment she actually suggested be done?
9. When Stu says that drugs have been found at the restaurant, what do the employees speculate about this action?
10. What does Barbara decide about the entire hiring process after noticing she didn't even ask about salary at Menards?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)