|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name Barbara uses for the family restaurant where she chooses to work first in Florida?
(b) Heartbreak Hotel
2. The manager, ________, yells at Barbara for a confused breakfast and a yuppie customer complains too.
3. What is Barbara punished with when she points out that a manager is calling one of his employees by the incorrect name?
(a) Loss of tips
(b) Reduced wages
(c) Being sent home early
(d) Extra work
4. __________ is a city in which Barbara is afraid she might be recognized, so she looks for work in a nearby city.
(a) New York
(c) Key West
(d) Key Largo
5. What are they listening to at full volume as they are cleaning each of the hotel rooms?
(a) Local news
(b) Rap music
(c) Their headphones
(d) Soap operas
Short Answer Questions
1. The other restaurant that Barbara works at during her time in Florida is called ___________, a chain with huge food and calorie packed dishes.
2. What is the name of the young Czech dishwasher who Barbara befriends when she is working at the restaurant?
3. Barbara does not want to live a life of _________ or discomfort when it comes to this new assignment.
4. What does Jerry's restaurant close off to employees since they don't want other employees lingering there during breaks?
5. What is Barbara's PhD in, according to her own admittance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
2. What kind of job does Barbara say that she will take, money-wise, at least at the start of the experiment?
3. Why doesn't Barbara think the physical exertion of her new job should be bothering her so much?
4. What is surprising to Barbara about the many places to which she has applied for a job?
5. What does Barbara think, at the start of the experiment, will be the biggest challenge during this assignment?
6. How much does Barbara think she will have to make in order to pay her rent and for food during her stay in Florida?
7. Why does Barbara want to take on the assignment she actually suggested be done?
8. What are some of the other reasons why Barbara doesn't really want to take on the assignment of working for minimum wage?
9. What will Barbara drive when she is a part of this experiment in working for minimum wage?
10. What does the bad tempered cook like to do sometimes back in the kitchen, according to Barbara?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)