|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jerry's restaurant close off to employees since they don't want other employees lingering there during breaks?
(a) Break room
(b) Dining room
(c) Outside area
2. Barbara begins to realize that minimum wage workers are no less ____________ or intelligent than she is.
3. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
(a) Once in a while
(b) On Sundays
(c) On Mondays
4. What is the 'dream job' that Barbara lands in addition to her restaurant job, taking on both when in Florida?
(a) Factory work
(b) Office work
5. Barbara asks the manager of her trailer park to donate her security deposit to ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The management at the restaurant try to keep Barbara __________ at every moment of her shift, even when it's slow.
2. Barbara ruled out areas like LA and New York as the working class consists mainly of people of _______ and she might look out of place.
3. Barbara admits she has two things going for her as a minimum wage worker - she is ________ and she is a native English speaker.
4. Some of the coworkers have to pay $60 a night for a hotel room because they can not save up the ___________ for a first and last month rent payment.
5. Having spend her life with ____________ struggling people, the author is not happy about getting the assignment.
Short Essay Questions
1. What statement does the author make which leads to her getting the assignment to write this book?
2. How long a period of time will the author spend in each location?
3. What are some of the other reasons why Barbara doesn't really want to take on the assignment of working for minimum wage?
4. What is Barbara's fear about working in the area where she currently lives, Key West?
5. What does the interviewer at a grocery store warn Barbara about when she puts in her application?
6. If things get too rough during this experiment, what does Barbara say she will do in order to feel herself or to support herself?
7. What is the one thing that Barbara says she will not mention as she is applying and working during this experiment?
8. What does the bad tempered cook like to do sometimes back in the kitchen, according to Barbara?
9. What happens if Barbara thinks she will have to go homeless, even for one night during this experiment?
10. What does Barbara feel she is compelled to do with the patrons at Hearthside, where she works as a waitress?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)