|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, "Serving in Florida".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The businesses place ads in the paper so they can always have a pool of __________ from which to hire at any time.
(a) Desperate workers
(b) Cheap labor
2. Barbara states, "Someone ought to do the old-fashioned kind of ________ - you know, go out there and try it for themselves."
3. At what publication does the editor who assigns the story to Barbara work?
(c) Ladies Home Journal
4. What is Barbara's PhD in, according to her own admittance?
(a) Public Policy
5. According to the National Coalition for the Homeless, in 1998, the hourly wage necessary to afford a one bedroom apartment was _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Barbara Ehrenreich's editor, the one who assigns her the story that became this book?
2. Many of the businesses in town seem to place ads in the paper ____________ so as to always have applicants.
3. Barbara begins to realize that when she is a maid, she is not ____________ to be a maid. She really is a maid.
4. What is the 'dream job' that Barbara lands in addition to her restaurant job, taking on both when in Florida?
5. For what magazine does the author of "Nickel and Dimed" work when she is beginning her assignment?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)