"Introduction: Getting Ready"
* Barbara Ehrenreich, the author, works for the New Yorker.
* The author makes up some rules for herself for the assignment she is given.
* The author is concerned it will be hard to hide her education and her background.
Chapter 1, "Serving in Florida"
* The author starts submitting applications in Key West after securing an apartment.
* The author gets a job at Hearthside as a waitress.
* The author enjoys learning about people.
* The managers at the restaurant are watching all the time.
* The author realizes she needs to get another job and gets hired at Jerry's.
* The author ends up quitting Hearthside over being scolded for having soup.
* Barbara decides she needs to move closer in order to save on gas money, finding a tiny trailer.
* The author lands a housekeeping job.
* The author ends up walking out of Jerry's.
Chapter 2, "Scrubbing in Maine".
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)