"Introduction: Getting Ready"
• Barbara Ehrenreich, the author, works for the New Yorker.
• The author makes up some rules for herself for the assignment she is given.
• The author is concerned it will be hard to hide her education and her background.
Chapter 1, "Serving in Florida"
• The author starts submitting applications in Key West after securing an apartment.
• The author gets a job at Hearthside as a waitress.
• The author enjoys learning about people.
• The managers at the restaurant are watching all the time.
• The author realizes she needs to get another job and gets hired at Jerry's.
• The author ends up quitting Hearthside over being scolded for having soup.
• Barbara decides she needs to move closer in order to save on gas money, finding a tiny trailer.
• The author lands a housekeeping job.
• The author ends up walking out of Jerry's.
Chapter 2, "Scrubbing in Maine".
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)