|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since the sovereignal aspect of freedom dominates this era, historians have tended to ___________ the role of freedom.
2. How do the plebeians view the civic freedom of the upper class?
3. Why does Augustine view personal freedom as a form of emptiness that doesn't result in inner peace?
4. What does this chapter examine?
5. Is it still possible for the upper class to experience personal freedom even when their civic freedom is severely limited by the princeps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
2. How have women's lives begun to change?
3. What is Reformist Stoicism?
4. What is the purpose of this chapter?
5. Rome extends its power and rule to the Italian peninsula through a series of wars and conquests in 266 B.C. What are the consequences?
6. Why does the populace accept Augustus?
7. What is Paul's role in shaping Christianity?
8. What is freedom at this time?
9. What happens when Christianity appears?
10. In trying to define the relationship between church and state, four interpretations are proposed by Patterson. What are these interpretations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stoicism and Christianity offer people inner peace and salvation.
Part 1) What is stoicism? Compare stoicism with Christianity.
Part 2) Does stoicism still exist? Explain. Why has Christianity survived?
Part 3) What role does Paul have in shaping Christianity? How does Christianity change because of Paul? How is his influence seen in the Christian Church today?
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of foreign slavery enhances the native attributes of the freedman.
Part 1) When and where was foreign slavery introduced? Why was it introduced?
Part 2) How does it affect the meaning of freedom and who was free?
Part 3) How is this idea of nativity relating to a freedman reflected in societies today in various social classes?
Essay Topic 3
Three schools exist among Hellenistic thinkers.
Part 1) Who are Hellenistic thinkers? What are the three schools?
Part 2) How did these schools come about? What is the significance of these three schools?
Part 3) How have these schools been used and altered by various societies after the Hellenistic Period?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)