|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do his ideas provide?
2. Why does Augustine view personal freedom as a form of emptiness that doesn't result in inner peace?
3. How do the plebeians view the civic freedom of the upper class?
4. How does Augustus change his image and his manner of rule during his reign?
5. Freedom is mainly the domain of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paul's role in shaping Christianity?
2. Why does the populace accept Augustus?
3. What is the relationship between church and state at the end of the Middle Ages?
4. Rome extends its power and rule to the Italian peninsula through a series of wars and conquests in 266 B.C. What are the consequences?
5. What phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
6. In trying to define the relationship between church and state, four interpretations are proposed by Patterson. What are these interpretations?
7. Describe the Roman economy and society.
8. What is Reformist Stoicism?
9. What is the purpose of this chapter?
10. Where are Paul's large conversion rates located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval.
Part 1) What are the differing views of freedom? How do they lead to conflict?
Part 2) How does the conflict and upheaval affect the society? Which group of individuals does it affect the most? Why?
Part 3) How has this occurred multiple times throughout history? Are the outcomes always similar? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
As Europe emerges from the Middle Ages, there are similarities and, yet, conflicts between church and state.
Part 1) What are the similarities bet church and state? Why are the church and state in conflict?
Part 2) How is this conflict settled? How effective is this? Explain.
Part 3) How has conflict continued into modern times? How is this conflict handled today? Why is it handled this way?
Essay Topic 3
It is the women who are responsible for instilling the concept of freedom into Western civilization.
Part 1) Compare a man's concept of freedom to a woman's.
Part 2) Why are the women responsible?
Part 3) Are you surprised by this? Why or why not? How is this ironic?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)