|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom do Augustus and the following emperors link themselves?
2. What is sin considered to be?
3. What is one of the phases?
4. Augustus' rule is at the expense of whose civic freedom?
5. Why does Reactionary Stoicism appeal to the Roman upper classes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paul's role in shaping Christianity?
2. Two questions arise from Paul's theology. What are we saved from? To whom or what are we enslaved? What are the answers?
3. In trying to define the relationship between church and state, four interpretations are proposed by Patterson. What are these interpretations?
4. Describe the Roman economy and society.
5. What conflict takes place in this period?
6. How have women's lives begun to change?
7. What has happened to society by the medieval times?
8. What is the purpose of this chapter?
9. What are the consequences of Jesus' crucifixion?
10. What happens when Christianity appears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The preoccupation with freedom is a predominantly Western concept.
Part 1) Prove or Disprove this statement. Is preoccupation predominantly a Western concept?
Part 2) Why is the west preoccupied with freedom?
Part 3) How has this preoccupation led to Western civilization as we know it?
Essay Topic 2
The Western concept of freedom arises from slavery is the basis for the greatness of Western civilization.
Part 1) What is the role of slavery in the development of freedom?
Part 2) Why is it important that slavery have a role in the Western world's concept of freedom?
Part 3) Could our concept of freedom have existed without slavery? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom as a value did not develop universally.
Part 1) Why did it not develop universally? Is this surprising to you? Why or why not?
Part 2) How did freedom develop as a value? Why did it develop this way?
Part 3) How is this value reflected in the various forms of government in existence today?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)