|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Augustine, from where does freedom come?
2. Why do they accept the sovereignal freedom of the emperor?
3. Since the sovereignal aspect of freedom dominates this era, historians have tended to ___________ the role of freedom.
4. What happens to the wretched who convert?
5. Why does Augustine view personal freedom as a form of emptiness that doesn't result in inner peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is freedom at this time?
2. What conflict takes place in this period?
3. Why does the populace accept Augustus?
4. What is Reformist Stoicism?
5. What phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
6. What are the consequences of Jesus' crucifixion?
7. How does Augustus influence the interpretations of freedom?
8. What is Reactionary Stoicism?
9. What struggles do the Romans face regarding the development of the concept of freedom?
10. Two questions arise from Paul's theology. What are we saved from? To whom or what are we enslaved? What are the answers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens.
Part 1) Describe these five revolutions. Why did they take place?
Part 2) How did these revolutions affect the countries and city-states surrounding the revolutions? How do they affect U.S. policies today?
Part 3) What would our society be like if these revolutions had never taken place?
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of foreign slavery enhances the native attributes of the freedman.
Part 1) When and where was foreign slavery introduced? Why was it introduced?
Part 2) How does it affect the meaning of freedom and who was free?
Part 3) How is this idea of nativity relating to a freedman reflected in societies today in various social classes?
Essay Topic 3
Athenians value civic freedom over personal freedom.
Part 1) What is the difference between civic freedom and personal freedom?
Part 2) Why do the Athenians prefer one over the other? Do all people in Athens feels this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this Athenian value reflected in our society today?
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)