|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paul say people suffer?
2. Law and the state of grace are _________.
3. The third involves the restructuring of Italian what?
4. Why do they accept the sovereignal freedom of the emperor?
5. The practice of manumission and co-optation means the native born Romans, or the ruling class, are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to society by the medieval times?
2. What is the purpose of this chapter?
3. What is Reformist Stoicism?
4. Why does the populace accept Augustus?
5. Two questions arise from Paul's theology. What are we saved from? To whom or what are we enslaved? What are the answers?
6. In trying to define the relationship between church and state, four interpretations are proposed by Patterson. What are these interpretations?
7. What conflict takes place in this period?
8. What is Paul's role in shaping Christianity?
9. What is the relationship between church and state at the end of the Middle Ages?
10. What happens when Christianity appears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustus sets the pace for the interpretations of freedom that will define the European chordal triad for the next 1,500 years.
Part 1) Who is Augustus? How does he set the pace?
Part 2) Why is he so influential? What power does he have over the region?
Part 3) How does Augustus change his persona for his people? Why does he do this?
Essay Topic 2
As Europe emerges from the Middle Ages, there are similarities and, yet, conflicts between church and state.
Part 1) What are the similarities bet church and state? Why are the church and state in conflict?
Part 2) How is this conflict settled? How effective is this? Explain.
Part 3) How has conflict continued into modern times? How is this conflict handled today? Why is it handled this way?
Essay Topic 3
The differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval.
Part 1) What are the differing views of freedom? How do they lead to conflict?
Part 2) How does the conflict and upheaval affect the society? Which group of individuals does it affect the most? Why?
Part 3) How has this occurred multiple times throughout history? Are the outcomes always similar? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)