|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Patterson, how many phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
2. How do many of the serfs and peasants receive rights?
3. What happens to the wretched who convert?
4. What does this chapter examine?
5. Augustine expands Paul's view and tries to incorporate what conception of freedom and God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
2. What is freedom at this time?
3. How have women's lives begun to change?
4. What struggles do the Romans face regarding the development of the concept of freedom?
5. What is the relationship between church and state at the end of the Middle Ages?
6. What is Reformist Stoicism?
7. Rome extends its power and rule to the Italian peninsula through a series of wars and conquests in 266 B.C. What are the consequences?
8. In trying to define the relationship between church and state, four interpretations are proposed by Patterson. What are these interpretations?
9. Describe the Roman economy and society.
10. What is the purpose of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The overwhelming concern of the Roman population is with personal freedom.
Part 1) Compare Roman concerns about freedom with the Greek concerns.
Part 2) Why is this the Roman population's greatest concern? How does Augustus play into these concerns?
Part 3) How is the United States a conglomeration of both Greek and Roman views on freedom? Why are we a mixture of both?
Essay Topic 2
Patterson uses Greek tragedy to support several points.
Part 1) What is a Greek tragedy? How does he use this to support several points?
Part 2) How does this metaphor enhance the book for the reader?
Part 3) Must the reader understand Greek tragedies to understand the author's use of them? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The underlying theme of slavery is the domination of one entity over another entity.
Part 1) How does slavery begin? Why has slavery existed in cultures around the world and throughout history?
Part 2) What are the various concepts of slavery? How do variations exist?
Part 3) How does your upbringing influence your thoughts and opinion on slavery?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)