|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are slaves seeking and finding in Christianity?
2. What does Augustine basically end up doing to the role of personal freedom?
3. With whom do the patricians conflict?
4. What is the role of Jesus?
5. Where are the greatest conversion rates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to society by the medieval times?
2. What is the purpose of this chapter?
3. Two questions arise from Paul's theology. What are we saved from? To whom or what are we enslaved? What are the answers?
4. What is Paul's role in shaping Christianity?
5. What is Reactionary Stoicism?
6. What happens when Christianity appears?
7. How do the beliefs of different sects compare?
8. What is Reformist Stoicism?
9. Describe the Roman economy and society.
10. In trying to define the relationship between church and state, four interpretations are proposed by Patterson. What are these interpretations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patterson states he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of freedom a a social value.
Part 1) Why is this his purpose?
Part 2) Based on this book, what might be the author's thoughts on the social value of freedom? Why?
Part 3) Why must the study of the intellectual study of freedom naturally be a part of this book, even though it is not what the author intended?
Essay Topic 2
The differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval.
Part 1) What are the differing views of freedom? How do they lead to conflict?
Part 2) How does the conflict and upheaval affect the society? Which group of individuals does it affect the most? Why?
Part 3) How has this occurred multiple times throughout history? Are the outcomes always similar? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Stoicism and Christianity offer people inner peace and salvation.
Part 1) What is stoicism? Compare stoicism with Christianity.
Part 2) Does stoicism still exist? Explain. Why has Christianity survived?
Part 3) What role does Paul have in shaping Christianity? How does Christianity change because of Paul? How is his influence seen in the Christian Church today?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)