|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they accept the sovereignal freedom of the emperor?
2. The third involves the restructuring of Italian what?
3. Augustus' rule is at the expense of whose civic freedom?
4. What do his ideas provide?
5. According to Patterson, how many phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
2. How do the beliefs of different sects compare?
3. Where are Paul's large conversion rates located?
4. What is freedom at this time?
5. What struggles do the Romans face regarding the development of the concept of freedom?
6. What is Paul's role in shaping Christianity?
7. What is the relationship between church and state at the end of the Middle Ages?
8. What are the consequences of Jesus' crucifixion?
9. What conflict takes place in this period?
10. Why does the populace accept Augustus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patterson uses Greek tragedy to support several points.
Part 1) What is a Greek tragedy? How does he use this to support several points?
Part 2) How does this metaphor enhance the book for the reader?
Part 3) Must the reader understand Greek tragedies to understand the author's use of them? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of foreign slavery enhances the native attributes of the freedman.
Part 1) When and where was foreign slavery introduced? Why was it introduced?
Part 2) How does it affect the meaning of freedom and who was free?
Part 3) How is this idea of nativity relating to a freedman reflected in societies today in various social classes?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom as a value did not develop universally.
Part 1) Why did it not develop universally? Is this surprising to you? Why or why not?
Part 2) How did freedom develop as a value? Why did it develop this way?
Part 3) How is this value reflected in the various forms of government in existence today?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)