|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is sin considered to be?
2. Who represents Reactionary Stoicism?
3. Whose thinking basically molds the early church and shapes generations of theological thinkers?
4. To whom do Augustus and the following emperors link themselves?
5. How do Jesus' followers reply to the critics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to society by the medieval times?
2. Why have historians tended to downplay the role of freedom during this time period?
3. How have women's lives begun to change?
4. How do the beliefs of different sects compare?
5. What are the consequences of Jesus' crucifixion?
6. What is freedom at this time?
7. What is Reformist Stoicism?
8. In trying to define the relationship between church and state, four interpretations are proposed by Patterson. What are these interpretations?
9. What is Paul's role in shaping Christianity?
10. What conflict takes place in this period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three schools exist among Hellenistic thinkers.
Part 1) Who are Hellenistic thinkers? What are the three schools?
Part 2) How did these schools come about? What is the significance of these three schools?
Part 3) How have these schools been used and altered by various societies after the Hellenistic Period?
Essay Topic 2
As Europe emerges from the Middle Ages, there are similarities and, yet, conflicts between church and state.
Part 1) What are the similarities bet church and state? Why are the church and state in conflict?
Part 2) How is this conflict settled? How effective is this? Explain.
Part 3) How has conflict continued into modern times? How is this conflict handled today? Why is it handled this way?
Essay Topic 3
It is the women who are responsible for instilling the concept of freedom into Western civilization.
Part 1) Compare a man's concept of freedom to a woman's.
Part 2) Why are the women responsible?
Part 3) Are you surprised by this? Why or why not? How is this ironic?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)