Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Christian religion offer to the weaker elements of Hellenistic society?
2. To what are the Reactionary Stoicism beliefs adapted?
3. By medieval times, the character of Europe has become rural __________.
4. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
5. How does Augustus change his image and his manner of rule during his reign?
Essay Topic 1
Freedom as a value did not develop universally.
Part 1) Why did it not develop universally? Is this surprising to you? Why or why not?
Part 2) How did freedom develop as a value? Why did it develop this way?
Part 3) How is this value reflected in the various forms of government in existence today?
Essay Topic 2
Patterson uses Greek tragedy to support several points.
Part 1) What is a Greek tragedy? How does he use this to support several points?
Part 2) How does this metaphor enhance the book for the reader?
Part 3) Must the reader understand Greek tragedies to understand the author's use of them? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Augustus sets the pace for the interpretations of freedom that will define the European chordal triad for the next 1,500 years.
Part 1) Who is Augustus? How does he set the pace?
Part 2) Why is he so influential? What power does he have over the region?
Part 3) How does Augustus change his persona for his people? Why does he do this?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)