|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Reactionary Stoicism appeal to the Roman upper classes?
2. Augustus set the pace for the interpretations of freedom that will define the European chordal triad for how long?
3. Augustus uses his sovereignal power for the______ of the populace.
4. In what forms do these rights or freedoms come?
5. By medieval times, the character of Europe has become rural __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What struggles do the Romans face regarding the development of the concept of freedom?
2. How do the beliefs of different sects compare?
3. What is the purpose of this chapter?
4. How does Augustus influence the interpretations of freedom?
5. Rome extends its power and rule to the Italian peninsula through a series of wars and conquests in 266 B.C. What are the consequences?
6. Describe the Roman economy and society.
7. What is Paul's role in shaping Christianity?
8. Two questions arise from Paul's theology. What are we saved from? To whom or what are we enslaved? What are the answers?
9. Where are Paul's large conversion rates located?
10. In trying to define the relationship between church and state, four interpretations are proposed by Patterson. What are these interpretations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Athenians value civic freedom over personal freedom.
Part 1) What is the difference between civic freedom and personal freedom?
Part 2) Why do the Athenians prefer one over the other? Do all people in Athens feels this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this Athenian value reflected in our society today?
Essay Topic 2
The Western concept of freedom arises from slavery is the basis for the greatness of Western civilization.
Part 1) What is the role of slavery in the development of freedom?
Part 2) Why is it important that slavery have a role in the Western world's concept of freedom?
Part 3) Could our concept of freedom have existed without slavery? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom as a value did not develop universally.
Part 1) Why did it not develop universally? Is this surprising to you? Why or why not?
Part 2) How did freedom develop as a value? Why did it develop this way?
Part 3) How is this value reflected in the various forms of government in existence today?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)