|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jesus' followers turn into an act of glorification and propaganda?
2. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
3. Who has the most freedom in terms of the sovereignal aspect of freedom?
4. What happens to the wretched who convert?
5. Augustine, like Paul, is also concerned with the role of _______________ in Christianity.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Roman economy and society.
2. How do the beliefs of different sects compare?
3. What is Reformist Stoicism?
4. What phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
5. Rome extends its power and rule to the Italian peninsula through a series of wars and conquests in 266 B.C. What are the consequences?
6. What is Paul's role in shaping Christianity?
7. What is Reactionary Stoicism?
8. How have women's lives begun to change?
9. What are the consequences of Jesus' crucifixion?
10. What has happened to society by the medieval times?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens.
Part 1) Describe these five revolutions. Why did they take place?
Part 2) How did these revolutions affect the countries and city-states surrounding the revolutions? How do they affect U.S. policies today?
Part 3) What would our society be like if these revolutions had never taken place?
Essay Topic 2
Inner freedom is brought about by Greek religion.
Part 1) What is inner freedom? How is it brought about by Greek religion?
Part 2) Could it be brought about in any other way? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do societies today reveal a desire for inner freedom? What is the connection between the Greeks' belief in inner freedom and ours?
Essay Topic 3
Stoicism and Christianity offer people inner peace and salvation.
Part 1) What is stoicism? Compare stoicism with Christianity.
Part 2) Does stoicism still exist? Explain. Why has Christianity survived?
Part 3) What role does Paul have in shaping Christianity? How does Christianity change because of Paul? How is his influence seen in the Christian Church today?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)