Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Christian religion offer to the weaker elements of Hellenistic society?
2. To what are the Reactionary Stoicism beliefs adapted?
3. By medieval times, the character of Europe has become rural __________.
4. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
5. How does Augustus change his image and his manner of rule during his reign?
Essay Topic 1
The introduction of foreign slavery enhances the native attributes of the freedman.
Part 1) When and where was foreign slavery introduced? Why was it introduced?
Part 2) How does it affect the meaning of freedom and who was free?
Part 3) How is this idea of nativity relating to a freedman reflected in societies today in various social classes?
Essay Topic 2
The differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval.
Part 1) What are the differing views of freedom? How do they lead to conflict?
Part 2) How does the conflict and upheaval affect the society? Which group of individuals does it affect the most? Why?
Part 3) How has this occurred multiple times throughout history? Are the outcomes always similar? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Patterson states he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of freedom a a social value.
Part 1) Why is this his purpose?
Part 2) Based on this book, what might be the author's thoughts on the social value of freedom? Why?
Part 3) Why must the study of the intellectual study of freedom naturally be a part of this book, even though it is not what the author intended?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)