|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Christian religion offer to the weaker elements of Hellenistic society?
2. To what are the Reactionary Stoicism beliefs adapted?
3. By medieval times, the character of Europe has become rural __________.
4. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
5. How does Augustus change his image and his manner of rule during his reign?
Essay Topic 1
Freedom was not always practical for a slave.
Part 1) Why would it not be practical? What would be needed for a slave to be freed and to survive?
Part 2) With this in mind, how is it possible that a large majority of countries no longer practice slavery?
Part 3) Does slavery exist today? Where? In what forms? To what or whom are people enslaved?
Essay Topic 2
Athenians value civic freedom over personal freedom.
Part 1) What is the difference between civic freedom and personal freedom?
Part 2) Why do the Athenians prefer one over the other? Do all people in Athens feels this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this Athenian value reflected in our society today?
Essay Topic 3
The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens.
Part 1) Describe these five revolutions. Why did they take place?
Part 2) How did these revolutions affect the countries and city-states surrounding the revolutions? How do they affect U.S. policies today?
Part 3) What would our society be like if these revolutions had never taken place?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)