|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Christian religion offer to the weaker elements of Hellenistic society?
2. To what are the Reactionary Stoicism beliefs adapted?
3. By medieval times, the character of Europe has become rural __________.
4. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
5. How does Augustus change his image and his manner of rule during his reign?
Essay Topic 1
By medieval times, Europe makes the transition from slavery to serfdom.
Part 1) Compare slavery to serfdom. Why does the end of the Roman Empire not end slavery?
Part 2) Why do historians down play the role of freedom during this period of time?
Part 3) Who controls freedom at this time? How do people at this time think of freedom? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The preoccupation with freedom is a predominantly Western concept.
Part 1) Prove or Disprove this statement. Is preoccupation predominantly a Western concept?
Part 2) Why is the west preoccupied with freedom?
Part 3) How has this preoccupation led to Western civilization as we know it?
Essay Topic 3
Inner freedom is brought about by Greek religion.
Part 1) What is inner freedom? How is it brought about by Greek religion?
Part 2) Could it be brought about in any other way? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do societies today reveal a desire for inner freedom? What is the connection between the Greeks' belief in inner freedom and ours?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)