|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does slavery exist until 11 A.D. and the on-set of feudalism?
2. What happens to the wretched who convert?
3. Why does Paul say people suffer?
4. He extols the virtue of the ruler as what for the populace?
5. In what do plebeians have more faith?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have women's lives begun to change?
2. Why does the populace accept Augustus?
3. What is Reformist Stoicism?
4. Rome extends its power and rule to the Italian peninsula through a series of wars and conquests in 266 B.C. What are the consequences?
5. Why have historians tended to downplay the role of freedom during this time period?
6. What are the consequences of Jesus' crucifixion?
7. What struggles do the Romans face regarding the development of the concept of freedom?
8. What conflict takes place in this period?
9. What is freedom at this time?
10. What phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens.
Part 1) Describe these five revolutions. Why did they take place?
Part 2) How did these revolutions affect the countries and city-states surrounding the revolutions? How do they affect U.S. policies today?
Part 3) What would our society be like if these revolutions had never taken place?
Essay Topic 2
By medieval times, Europe makes the transition from slavery to serfdom.
Part 1) Compare slavery to serfdom. Why does the end of the Roman Empire not end slavery?
Part 2) Why do historians down play the role of freedom during this period of time?
Part 3) Who controls freedom at this time? How do people at this time think of freedom? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The underlying theme of slavery is the domination of one entity over another entity.
Part 1) How does slavery begin? Why has slavery existed in cultures around the world and throughout history?
Part 2) What are the various concepts of slavery? How do variations exist?
Part 3) How does your upbringing influence your thoughts and opinion on slavery?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)