|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the war in the sixth century B.C., Greek cities are occupied by whom?
2. What does the slave want?
3. Freedom becomes associated with what in the minds of the populace?
4. To what does this expose the Greeks?
5. These factors lead to the development of what kind of society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the schools of thought among Hellenistic thinkers?
2. What role does slavery play in this conflict?
3. Describe the Oedipus trilogy of Sophocles in relation to freedom.
4. This chapter examines the role of Greece in the historical development of freedom as a social value. What are the four designated periods of interest?
5. What is the importance of Greek religion on freedom?
6. How does Patterson, again, use Greek drama to examine the role of women?
7. Describe the Imbangala people of Africa, regarding slavery.
8. Describe the slavery issue in the South Pacific.
9. The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C. What is one of the revolutions?
10. From what do personal freedom and civic freedom awareness result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens.
Part 1) Describe these five revolutions. Why did they take place?
Part 2) How did these revolutions affect the countries and city-states surrounding the revolutions? How do they affect U.S. policies today?
Part 3) What would our society be like if these revolutions had never taken place?
Essay Topic 2
Three schools exist among Hellenistic thinkers.
Part 1) Who are Hellenistic thinkers? What are the three schools?
Part 2) How did these schools come about? What is the significance of these three schools?
Part 3) How have these schools been used and altered by various societies after the Hellenistic Period?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom was not always practical for a slave.
Part 1) Why would it not be practical? What would be needed for a slave to be freed and to survive?
Part 2) With this in mind, how is it possible that a large majority of countries no longer practice slavery?
Part 3) Does slavery exist today? Where? In what forms? To what or whom are people enslaved?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)