|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the slave in this culture have?
2. Upon what form of freedom do intellectuals frown?
3. What is the third revolution, which involves the emergence of democracy?
4. Which of Aeschylus' plays does he cite?
5. Who are the Sophists?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the war in the sixth century B.C., Greek cities are occupied by the Persians. What does this do to the Greeks?
2. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
3. From what do personal freedom and civic freedom awareness result?
4. How does Patterson view the development of freedom as a social value?
5. How does Augustus influence the interpretations of freedom?
6. Eventually the differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval. What causes this?
7. What are the living conditions of women?
8. What phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
9. What does it mean to be Greek at this time?
10. Two questions arise from Paul's theology. What are we saved from? To whom or what are we enslaved? What are the answers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stoicism and Christianity offer people inner peace and salvation.
Part 1) What is stoicism? Compare stoicism with Christianity.
Part 2) Does stoicism still exist? Explain. Why has Christianity survived?
Part 3) What role does Paul have in shaping Christianity? How does Christianity change because of Paul? How is his influence seen in the Christian Church today?
Essay Topic 2
The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens.
Part 1) Describe these five revolutions. Why did they take place?
Part 2) How did these revolutions affect the countries and city-states surrounding the revolutions? How do they affect U.S. policies today?
Part 3) What would our society be like if these revolutions had never taken place?
Essay Topic 3
The living conditions of many Athenian women are harsh.
Part 1) Describe these living conditions. Why are they harsh?
Part 2) What is the connection between their conditions and slavery?
Part 3) What is surprising about the women who have the harshest of living conditions? Why this surprising?
This section contains 2,221 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)