|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does this economically benefit?
2. When is this view of Mortal life beginning to be questioned?
3. Among the Tupinamba, why does the slave exist?
4. What must one be to be considered Greek?
5. Did freedom as an idea develop into a value everywhere?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what do personal freedom and civic freedom awareness result?
2. What is the importance of Greek religion on freedom?
3. What is a second revolution?
4. Explain one of the schools of thought.
5. How does Patterson, again, use Greek drama to examine the role of women?
6. During the war in the sixth century B.C., Greek cities are occupied by the Persians. What does this do to the Greeks?
7. Why is freedom not a social value of the Tupinamba people of Brazil in the sixteenth century?
8. What role does slavery play in this conflict?
9. Describe the Imbangala people of Africa, regarding slavery.
10. Patterson draws heavily on Greek drama to make his point. Give one example from which he cites.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom was not always practical for a slave.
Part 1) Why would it not be practical? What would be needed for a slave to be freed and to survive?
Part 2) With this in mind, how is it possible that a large majority of countries no longer practice slavery?
Part 3) Does slavery exist today? Where? In what forms? To what or whom are people enslaved?
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of foreign slavery enhances the native attributes of the freedman.
Part 1) When and where was foreign slavery introduced? Why was it introduced?
Part 2) How does it affect the meaning of freedom and who was free?
Part 3) How is this idea of nativity relating to a freedman reflected in societies today in various social classes?
Essay Topic 3
It is the women who are responsible for instilling the concept of freedom into Western civilization.
Part 1) Compare a man's concept of freedom to a woman's.
Part 2) Why are the women responsible?
Part 3) Are you surprised by this? Why or why not? How is this ironic?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)