|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The third component is the ________ component, where individuals have the freedom to participate in the community and its governance, with their rights and obligations defined.
2. What kind of freedom is this, on a national level?
3. What delineates the fifth revolution of this period?
4. How does Greek society hold women?
5. Preoccupation with freedom is predominately a _____________ concept.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Imbangala people of Africa, regarding slavery.
2. The contemporaneous development of slavery and the concept of freedom characterize ancient Athens and Greece. How does Patterson again use Greek drama to support this point?
3. What does Plato say about the soul?
4. What is slavery? What is a slave-dominated society like?
5. What is a third revolution?
6. The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C. What is one of the revolutions?
7. How does slavery develop and change during this period in Carthage?
8. How does Patterson view the development of freedom as a social value?
9. What are Patterson's three components of freedom?
10. From what do personal freedom and civic freedom awareness result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustus sets the pace for the interpretations of freedom that will define the European chordal triad for the next 1,500 years.
Part 1) Who is Augustus? How does he set the pace?
Part 2) Why is he so influential? What power does he have over the region?
Part 3) How does Augustus change his persona for his people? Why does he do this?
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of foreign slavery enhances the native attributes of the freedman.
Part 1) When and where was foreign slavery introduced? Why was it introduced?
Part 2) How does it affect the meaning of freedom and who was free?
Part 3) How is this idea of nativity relating to a freedman reflected in societies today in various social classes?
Essay Topic 3
As Europe emerges from the Middle Ages, there are similarities and, yet, conflicts between church and state.
Part 1) What are the similarities bet church and state? Why are the church and state in conflict?
Part 2) How is this conflict settled? How effective is this? Explain.
Part 3) How has conflict continued into modern times? How is this conflict handled today? Why is it handled this way?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)