|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does agricultural production shift?
2. Patterson states that he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of what?
3. According to Plato, what is the soul like?
4. When has someone achieved inner freedom?
5. Each of the three is concerned with what issue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a second revolution?
2. What is a third revolution?
3. Describe one group of intellectuals.
4. What is slavery? What is a slave-dominated society like?
5. Why is freedom not a social value of the Tupinamba people of Brazil in the sixteenth century?
6. What role does slavery play in this conflict?
7. What does the effect of the Peloponnesian War on Athens and Greece affect slavery?
8. The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C. What is one of the revolutions?
9. What do light and darkness symbolize used by the Greek dramatist?
10. What are the living conditions of women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Western concept of freedom arises from slavery is the basis for the greatness of Western civilization.
Part 1) What is the role of slavery in the development of freedom?
Part 2) Why is it important that slavery have a role in the Western world's concept of freedom?
Part 3) Could our concept of freedom have existed without slavery? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom was not always practical for a slave.
Part 1) Why would it not be practical? What would be needed for a slave to be freed and to survive?
Part 2) With this in mind, how is it possible that a large majority of countries no longer practice slavery?
Part 3) Does slavery exist today? Where? In what forms? To what or whom are people enslaved?
Essay Topic 3
The living conditions of many Athenian women are harsh.
Part 1) Describe these living conditions. Why are they harsh?
Part 2) What is the connection between their conditions and slavery?
Part 3) What is surprising about the women who have the harshest of living conditions? Why this surprising?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)