|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the days of ancient Carthage, the slave develops what kind of value?
2. In what revolution does a large slave population exist to serve the aristocracy and non-farm population?
3. Why is freedom not practical for a slave during this period?
4. The slave is owned by whom?
5. To what does this lead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paul's role in shaping Christianity?
2. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
3. This chapter examines the role of Greece in the historical development of freedom as a social value. What are the four designated periods of interest?
4. Why have historians tended to downplay the role of freedom during this time period?
5. What conflict takes place in this period?
6. What is slavery? What is a slave-dominated society like?
7. What has happened to society by the medieval times?
8. What are Patterson's three components of freedom?
9. What do light and darkness symbolize used by the Greek dramatist?
10. What is Reformist Stoicism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By medieval times, Europe makes the transition from slavery to serfdom.
Part 1) Compare slavery to serfdom. Why does the end of the Roman Empire not end slavery?
Part 2) Why do historians down play the role of freedom during this period of time?
Part 3) Who controls freedom at this time? How do people at this time think of freedom? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Augustus sets the pace for the interpretations of freedom that will define the European chordal triad for the next 1,500 years.
Part 1) Who is Augustus? How does he set the pace?
Part 2) Why is he so influential? What power does he have over the region?
Part 3) How does Augustus change his persona for his people? Why does he do this?
Essay Topic 3
The Western concept of freedom arises from slavery is the basis for the greatness of Western civilization.
Part 1) What is the role of slavery in the development of freedom?
Part 2) Why is it important that slavery have a role in the Western world's concept of freedom?
Part 3) Could our concept of freedom have existed without slavery? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,208 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)