|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Patterson draw heavily to make his point?
2. The concern with personal freedom basically results from whom?
3. Who writes the dramas?
4. How does agricultural production shift?
5. Who does the slave in this culture have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Augustus influence the interpretations of freedom?
2. What does the effect of the Peloponnesian War on Athens and Greece affect slavery?
3. Describe the slavery issue in the South Pacific.
4. What are Patterson's three components of freedom?
5. What struggles do the Romans face regarding the development of the concept of freedom?
6. Describe the Oedipus trilogy of Sophocles in relation to freedom.
7. From what do personal freedom and civic freedom awareness result?
8. What does the role of slavery in the development of freedom as a social value do?
9. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
10. What does Plato say about the soul?
Essay Topic 1
The overwhelming concern of the Roman population is with personal freedom.
Part 1) Compare Roman concerns about freedom with the Greek concerns.
Part 2) Why is this the Roman population's greatest concern? How does Augustus play into these concerns?
Part 3) How is the United States a conglomeration of both Greek and Roman views on freedom? Why are we a mixture of both?
Essay Topic 2
The introduction of foreign slavery enhances the native attributes of the freedman.
Part 1) When and where was foreign slavery introduced? Why was it introduced?
Part 2) How does it affect the meaning of freedom and who was free?
Part 3) How is this idea of nativity relating to a freedman reflected in societies today in various social classes?
Essay Topic 3
It is the women who are responsible for instilling the concept of freedom into Western civilization.
Part 1) Compare a man's concept of freedom to a woman's.
Part 2) Why are the women responsible?
Part 3) Are you surprised by this? Why or why not? How is this ironic?
This section contains 2,487 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)