|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Athens experiences how many results from the transition to a slave economy?
2. How does the ruling class find the majority of the population becoming?
3. How does agricultural production shift?
4. Why is freedom not practical for a slave during this period?
5. What is not entirely correct regarding freedom and slavery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean to be Greek at this time?
2. Why is freedom not a social value of the Tupinamba people of Brazil in the sixteenth century?
3. What are Patterson's three components of freedom?
4. Why are foreign slaves brought into the country?
5. The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C. What is one of the revolutions?
6. How does Patterson view the development of freedom as a social value?
7. What does the effect of the Peloponnesian War on Athens and Greece affect slavery?
8. What is the importance of Greek religion on freedom?
9. Describe the Oedipus trilogy of Sophocles in relation to freedom.
10. How does Patterson, again, use Greek drama to examine the role of women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stoicism and Christianity offer people inner peace and salvation.
Part 1) What is stoicism? Compare stoicism with Christianity.
Part 2) Does stoicism still exist? Explain. Why has Christianity survived?
Part 3) What role does Paul have in shaping Christianity? How does Christianity change because of Paul? How is his influence seen in the Christian Church today?
Essay Topic 2
Three schools exist among Hellenistic thinkers.
Part 1) Who are Hellenistic thinkers? What are the three schools?
Part 2) How did these schools come about? What is the significance of these three schools?
Part 3) How have these schools been used and altered by various societies after the Hellenistic Period?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom as a value did not develop universally.
Part 1) Why did it not develop universally? Is this surprising to you? Why or why not?
Part 2) How did freedom develop as a value? Why did it develop this way?
Part 3) How is this value reflected in the various forms of government in existence today?
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)