|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. These factors lead to the development of what kind of society?
2. There is a shift in agricultural production away from what into the production of olives, figs, fruits, etc.?
3. On what is the nineteenth century Imbangala people of Africa's society based?
4. Of what is Greek drama full?
5. The social value of freedom exists by the end of what century?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the war in the sixth century B.C., Greek cities are occupied by the Persians. What does this do to the Greeks?
2. What does the effect of the Peloponnesian War on Athens and Greece affect slavery?
3. What does the Peloponnesian War do to Athens and Greece?
4. What are the living conditions of women?
5. What is a second revolution?
6. How does Patterson view the development of freedom as a social value?
7. Describe the Oedipus trilogy of Sophocles in relation to freedom.
8. Describe the Imbangala people of Africa, regarding slavery.
9. What is a third revolution?
10. What does Plato say about the soul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three schools exist among Hellenistic thinkers.
Part 1) Who are Hellenistic thinkers? What are the three schools?
Part 2) How did these schools come about? What is the significance of these three schools?
Part 3) How have these schools been used and altered by various societies after the Hellenistic Period?
Essay Topic 2
Patterson states he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of freedom a a social value.
Part 1) Why is this his purpose?
Part 2) Based on this book, what might be the author's thoughts on the social value of freedom? Why?
Part 3) Why must the study of the intellectual study of freedom naturally be a part of this book, even though it is not what the author intended?
Essay Topic 3
By medieval times, Europe makes the transition from slavery to serfdom.
Part 1) Compare slavery to serfdom. Why does the end of the Roman Empire not end slavery?
Part 2) Why do historians down play the role of freedom during this period of time?
Part 3) Who controls freedom at this time? How do people at this time think of freedom? Why?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)