Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Patterson draw heavily to make his point?
2. The concern with personal freedom basically results from whom?
3. Who writes the dramas?
4. How does agricultural production shift?
5. Who does the slave in this culture have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Augustus influence the interpretations of freedom?
2. What does the effect of the Peloponnesian War on Athens and Greece affect slavery?
3. Describe the slavery issue in the South Pacific.
4. What are Patterson's three components of freedom?
5. What struggles do the Romans face regarding the development of the concept of freedom?
6. Describe the Oedipus trilogy of Sophocles in relation to freedom.
7. From what do personal freedom and civic freedom awareness result?
8. What does the role of slavery in the development of freedom as a social value do?
9. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
10. What does Plato say about the soul?
The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens.
Part 1) Describe these five revolutions. Why did they take place?
Part 2) How did these revolutions affect the countries and city-states surrounding the revolutions? How do they affect U.S. policies today?
Part 3) What would our society be like if these revolutions had never taken place?
The preoccupation with freedom is a predominantly Western concept.
Part 1) Prove or Disprove this statement. Is preoccupation predominantly a Western concept?
Part 2) Why is the west preoccupied with freedom?
Part 3) How has this preoccupation led to Western civilization as we know it?
Athenians value civic freedom over personal freedom.
Part 1) What is the difference between civic freedom and personal freedom?
Part 2) Why do the Athenians prefer one over the other? Do all people in Athens feels this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) How is this Athenian value reflected in our society today?
This section contains 1,406 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)