|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Slavery is more than just what kind of problem?
2. This means that there has to be an increase in what?
3. On what is there greater reliance to produce the necessary revenues?
4. How does Greek drama, especially tragedy, credit women?
5. The contemporaneous development of slavery and the concept of freedom characterize what societies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does this chapter describe?
2. What is a second revolution?
3. What does the Peloponnesian War do to Athens and Greece?
4. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
5. Describe the Oedipus trilogy of Sophocles in relation to freedom.
6. What is a third revolution?
7. What does the effect of the Peloponnesian War on Athens and Greece affect slavery?
8. What role does slavery play in this conflict?
9. Eventually the differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval. What causes this?
10. Describe the Imbangala people of Africa, regarding slavery.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom as a value did not develop universally.
Part 1) Why did it not develop universally? Is this surprising to you? Why or why not?
Part 2) How did freedom develop as a value? Why did it develop this way?
Part 3) How is this value reflected in the various forms of government in existence today?
Essay Topic 2
Patterson states he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of freedom a a social value.
Part 1) Why is this his purpose?
Part 2) Based on this book, what might be the author's thoughts on the social value of freedom? Why?
Part 3) Why must the study of the intellectual study of freedom naturally be a part of this book, even though it is not what the author intended?
Essay Topic 3
By medieval times, Europe makes the transition from slavery to serfdom.
Part 1) Compare slavery to serfdom. Why does the end of the Roman Empire not end slavery?
Part 2) Why do historians down play the role of freedom during this period of time?
Part 3) Who controls freedom at this time? How do people at this time think of freedom? Why?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)