|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to debtors at this time?
2. In order to foster productivity, there is also an accompanying increase in what, since this is the only way the society can attain the output it needs to survive?
3. On what is Athens now completely dependent?
4. What are the three elements of freedom called?
5. The social value of freedom exists by the end of what century?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is freedom not a social value of the Tupinamba people of Brazil in the sixteenth century?
2. What is the importance of Greek religion on freedom?
3. What does the effect of the Peloponnesian War on Athens and Greece affect slavery?
4. Given the premise that a social reaction between slave, slaveholder and society must take place in order for freedom to develop as a value, why didn't freedom as a value develop universally?
5. What does Plato say about the soul?
6. What leads to war and the end of Athens' imperialism?
7. What do light and darkness symbolize used by the Greek dramatist?
8. What role does slavery play in this conflict?
9. The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C. What is one of the revolutions?
10. Describe one group of intellectuals.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By medieval times, Europe makes the transition from slavery to serfdom.
Part 1) Compare slavery to serfdom. Why does the end of the Roman Empire not end slavery?
Part 2) Why do historians down play the role of freedom during this period of time?
Part 3) Who controls freedom at this time? How do people at this time think of freedom? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The underlying theme of slavery is the domination of one entity over another entity.
Part 1) How does slavery begin? Why has slavery existed in cultures around the world and throughout history?
Part 2) What are the various concepts of slavery? How do variations exist?
Part 3) How does your upbringing influence your thoughts and opinion on slavery?
Essay Topic 3
As Europe emerges from the Middle Ages, there are similarities and, yet, conflicts between church and state.
Part 1) What are the similarities bet church and state? Why are the church and state in conflict?
Part 2) How is this conflict settled? How effective is this? Explain.
Part 3) How has conflict continued into modern times? How is this conflict handled today? Why is it handled this way?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)