|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Greek drama full?
2. Who does the slave in this culture have?
3. Personal freedom awareness results from the role of what Greeks?
4. To what preoccupation among citizens does this lead?
5. In earlier cultures, what was ultimately done with the captive slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patterson view the development of freedom as a social value?
2. What are Patterson's three components of freedom?
3. Describe the Oedipus trilogy of Sophocles in relation to freedom.
4. How does Patterson, again, use Greek drama to examine the role of women?
5. Given the premise that a social reaction between slave, slaveholder and society must take place in order for freedom to develop as a value, why didn't freedom as a value develop universally?
6. What does the Peloponnesian War do to Athens and Greece?
7. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
8. Describe the Imbangala people of Africa, regarding slavery.
9. Explain one of the schools of thought.
10. What role does slavery play in this conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval.
Part 1) What are the differing views of freedom? How do they lead to conflict?
Part 2) How does the conflict and upheaval affect the society? Which group of individuals does it affect the most? Why?
Part 3) How has this occurred multiple times throughout history? Are the outcomes always similar? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Stoicism and Christianity offer people inner peace and salvation.
Part 1) What is stoicism? Compare stoicism with Christianity.
Part 2) Does stoicism still exist? Explain. Why has Christianity survived?
Part 3) What role does Paul have in shaping Christianity? How does Christianity change because of Paul? How is his influence seen in the Christian Church today?
Essay Topic 3
Three schools exist among Hellenistic thinkers.
Part 1) Who are Hellenistic thinkers? What are the three schools?
Part 2) How did these schools come about? What is the significance of these three schools?
Part 3) How have these schools been used and altered by various societies after the Hellenistic Period?
This section contains 1,415 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)