|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Christian religion offer to the weaker elements of Hellenistic society?
2. What is the role of Jesus?
(a) He is the prophet delivering his message or vision.
(b) He is the first leader of the Christian church.
(c) He begins the church.
(d) He is the only leader of the church.
3. What is sin considered to be?
(a) A form of spiritual slavery that humans are freed from.
(b) From Adam and Eve.
(c) Something from which only slaves suffer.
(d) An influence of Satan.
4. What does Augustine basically end up doing to the role of personal freedom?
(a) Emphasizing it.
(b) Playing it up.
(c) Downplaying it.
(d) Encouraging it.
5. The third involves the restructuring of Italian what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Is it still possible for the upper class to experience personal freedom even when their civic freedom is severely limited by the princeps?
2. Augustus' rule is at the expense of whose civic freedom?
3. How is the crucifixion of Jesus referred?
4. From what does the development of the concept of freedom in Rome result?
5. What parts of the Roman economy are slave-based?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have historians tended to downplay the role of freedom during this time period?
2. What is freedom at this time?
3. What is the relationship between church and state at the end of the Middle Ages?
4. What is Reactionary Stoicism?
5. What phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
6. Why does the populace accept Augustus?
7. How have women's lives begun to change?
8. What has happened to society by the medieval times?
9. What conflict takes place in this period?
10. In trying to define the relationship between church and state, four interpretations are proposed by Patterson. What are these interpretations?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)