|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose thinking basically molds the early church and shapes generations of theological thinkers?
2. The practice of manumission and co-optation means the native born Romans, or the ruling class, are what?
(a) Weaker than the slaves.
(b) Numerically now the majority.
(c) Numerically now a minority.
(d) Not as intelligent as the slaves.
3. How do Jesus' followers reply to the critics?
(a) Jesus dies for the good of mankind and is resurrected.
(b) Jesus knows all the critics.
(c) Jesus has died.
(d) Jesus will return in three days.
4. What happens once Christianity appears?
(a) It spreads rapidly throughout the Roman Empire.
(b) It stays in the Middle East.
(c) It spreads slowly throughout the Roman Empire.
(d) It spreads quickly through Greece.
5. What does this chapter examine?
(a) The role of Paul in shaping Christianity's attitude about other gods.
(b) The role of Paul as the father of Christianity.
(c) The role of Paul in shaping Christianity's attitude on freedom.
(d) The role of Paul as the ruler of the Christian faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the cult of Christianity similar to other cults of the time?
2. Augustus' rule is at the expense of whose civic freedom?
3. Augustine expands Paul's view and tries to incorporate what conception of freedom and God?
4. As what do his views become known?
5. What happens to the wretched who convert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Augustus influence the interpretations of freedom?
2. Why does the populace accept Augustus?
3. Rome extends its power and rule to the Italian peninsula through a series of wars and conquests in 266 B.C. What are the consequences?
4. What conflict takes place in this period?
5. What is the purpose of this chapter?
6. What is the relationship between church and state at the end of the Middle Ages?
7. Where are Paul's large conversion rates located?
8. What struggles do the Romans face regarding the development of the concept of freedom?
9. Describe the Roman economy and society.
10. What is Reformist Stoicism?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)