|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Augustine view personal freedom as a form of emptiness that doesn't result in inner peace?
(a) It does not result in reconciliation.
(b) It is selfish.
(c) It does not help others.
(d) It does not benefit him.
2. How is this conflict referred?
(a) As the struggle of the orders.
(b) As the transition to order.
(c) As the need for order.
(d) As the fight for orders.
3. What is sin considered to be?
(a) From Adam and Eve.
(b) Something from which only slaves suffer.
(c) A form of spiritual slavery that humans are freed from.
(d) An influence of Satan.
4. To whom do Augustus and the following emperors link themselves?
(a) The welfare of the middle class.
(b) The welfare of the populace.
(c) The welfare of the upper class.
(d) The welfare of themselves.
5. What happens to the wretched who convert?
(a) They are damned.
(b) They are purified of sin.
(c) They go to hell.
(d) They must tithe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who represents Reactionary Stoicism?
2. According to Patterson, how many phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
3. Augustine, like Paul, is also concerned with the role of _______________ in Christianity.
4. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
5. Law and the state of grace are _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How have women's lives begun to change?
2. What phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
3. What is Reactionary Stoicism?
4. What are the consequences of Jesus' crucifixion?
5. Describe the Roman economy and society.
6. What is the purpose of this chapter?
7. Rome extends its power and rule to the Italian peninsula through a series of wars and conquests in 266 B.C. What are the consequences?
8. Two questions arise from Paul's theology. What are we saved from? To whom or what are we enslaved? What are the answers?
9. What struggles do the Romans face regarding the development of the concept of freedom?
10. What has happened to society by the medieval times?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)