|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Augustine expands Paul's view and tries to incorporate what conception of freedom and God?
(a) The Neoplatonic conception.
(b) The Napoleonic conception.
(c) The Metropolitan conception.
(d) The Neopolitan conception.
2. Why does Augustine view personal freedom as a form of emptiness that doesn't result in inner peace?
(a) It does not help others.
(b) It does not result in reconciliation.
(c) It does not benefit him.
(d) It is selfish.
3. What parts of the Roman economy are slave-based?
(a) Neither urban nor rural.
(b) Both urban and rural.
4. Why does Paul say people suffer?
(a) People suffer because of fate.
(b) People suffer because of past life mistakes.
(c) People suffer because of their sins.
(d) People suffer because of others.
5. What do his ideas provide?
(a) What the upper class need from Christianity.
(b) What is needed at the time for Christianity to be accepted.
(c) A belief of love and compassion.
(d) A reason for intellectuals to have faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jesus' followers turn into an act of glorification and propaganda?
2. Most of the freedom granted is to whom?
3. According to Augustine, from where does freedom come?
4. By what is slavery somewhat undermined in late 7 A.D.?
5. How do many of the serfs and peasants receive rights?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is freedom at this time?
2. In trying to define the relationship between church and state, four interpretations are proposed by Patterson. What are these interpretations?
3. How do the beliefs of different sects compare?
4. Rome extends its power and rule to the Italian peninsula through a series of wars and conquests in 266 B.C. What are the consequences?
5. What has happened to society by the medieval times?
6. What is Paul's role in shaping Christianity?
7. How does Augustus influence the interpretations of freedom?
8. Why does the populace accept Augustus?
9. How have women's lives begun to change?
10. What struggles do the Romans face regarding the development of the concept of freedom?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)