|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Three schools of thought exist among what thinkers?
2. In this chapter, what does Patterson examine?
(a) The view of inner freedom.
(b) The view of rigid freedom.
(c) The view of outer freedom.
(d) The view of slavery in Roman culture.
3. In order to foster productivity, there is also an accompanying increase in what, since this is the only way the society can attain the output it needs to survive?
4. How does this chapter examine the role of women in the development of the concept of freedom?
(a) Using French operas.
(b) Using Roman plays.
(c) Using German symphonies.
(d) Using Greek tragedy.
5. How do these slaves from the mines and those in the urban sector provide for the Athenians?
(a) They protect them from enemies.
(b) They make medicine for the wealthy Athenians.
(c) They provide food and supplies.
(d) They provide the means for the growing Athenian imperialism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Aeschylus' plays does he cite?
2. On what is Athens now completely dependent?
3. Among the Tupinamba, why does the slave exist?
4. What does it mean to be Greek?
5. Patterson states that he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean to be Greek at this time?
2. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
3. What are the living conditions of women?
4. What is the role of slaves in this society?
5. Why is freedom not a social value of the Tupinamba people of Brazil in the sixteenth century?
6. Athens experiences three results from the transition to a slave economy. What are these three results?
7. Explain one of the schools of thought.
8. Patterson draws heavily on Greek drama to make his point. Give one example from which he cites.
9. Eventually the differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval. What causes this?
10. What is a third revolution?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)