|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did freedom as an idea develop into a value everywhere?
2. How does the ruling class find the majority of the population becoming?
(a) Politically dependent on it.
(b) Politically independent of it.
(c) Economically and socially independent of it.
(d) Economically and socially dependent on it.
3. When does the speech take place?
(a) During the first year of the Peloponnesian War.
(b) During the last year of the Persian War.
(c) During the first year of the 100 Years War.
(d) During the last year of the Peloponnesian War.
4. To what does this lead?
(a) The lower and upper class women commiserating and identifying with their children.
(b) The lower and middle class women commiserating and identifying with slaves.
(c) All women commiserating and identifying with their friends and relatives.
(d) The upper and middle class women commiserating and identifying with the slaves.
5. In this chapter, what does Patterson examine?
(a) The view of rigid freedom.
(b) The view of outer freedom.
(c) The view of inner freedom.
(d) The view of slavery in Roman culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Athens experiences how many results from the transition to a slave economy?
2. Which women had more activities outside the home?
3. The financial welfare of the slaveholder is now becoming dependent on what?
4. Who destroys the Athenians system of democracy in 322 B.C.?
5. Again what does Patterson use to support this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the living conditions of women?
2. Describe one group of intellectuals.
3. The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C. What is one of the revolutions?
4. Athens experiences three results from the transition to a slave economy. What are these three results?
5. What is the role of slaves in this society?
6. How does Patterson, again, use Greek drama to examine the role of women?
7. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
8. What are Patterson's three components of freedom?
9. Describe the Imbangala people of Africa, regarding slavery.
10. Describe the slavery issue in the South Pacific.
This section contains 1,343 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)