|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Athens experiences how many results from the transition to a slave economy?
2. Who does the slave in this culture have?
(a) His family.
(b) His friends.
(c) His mother.
(d) The slave master.
3. To what preoccupation among citizens does this lead?
(a) Regarding landownership.
(b) Regarding the work of slaves.
(c) Regarding the purchasing of slaves.
(d) Regarding manual labor and working for others.
4. Who are the Sophists?
(a) One of the groups of intellectuals that influence Greek thought and values.
(b) The followers of an intellectual named Sophie.
(c) One of the groups of intellectuals that influence Roman thought.
(d) One of the groups that conflicts with the intellectuals.
5. What dictates mortal life?
(b) Decisions made by each individual.
Short Answer Questions
1. Again what does Patterson use to support this point?
2. Between what freedoms do they distinguish?
3. Upon what form of freedom do intellectuals frown?
4. The years of the Peloponnesian War bring what to Athens and Greece?
5. Which of Aeschylus' plays does he cite?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Augustus influence the interpretations of freedom?
2. Why is freedom not a social value of the Tupinamba people of Brazil in the sixteenth century?
3. Describe the Imbangala people of Africa, regarding slavery.
4. Describe the slavery issue in the South Pacific.
5. What struggles do the Romans face regarding the development of the concept of freedom?
6. Describe the Roman economy and society.
7. What does Plato say about the soul?
8. What is a third revolution?
9. Eventually the differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval. What causes this?
10. From what do personal freedom and civic freedom awareness result?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)