|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The imperialistic quest of the Athenians is now directed at whom?
(b) Other Greek city-states.
(d) Other European nations.
2. Three schools of thought exist among what thinkers?
3. How are the living conditions of many Athenian women?
(a) Rather boring.
(b) Rather eventful.
(c) Rather harsh.
(d) Rather lavish.
4. What does a second factor have to do with, which Patterson sees as "a strategic class error" (p. 65) because it results in a standard against which things can be measured?
(a) The spread of legal tender that quickly reveals wealth.
(b) The spread of disease.
(c) The spread of wealth among this new class.
(d) The spread of literacy and the development of a legal written code.
5. To what does this expose the Greeks?
(a) The opulent lifestyle of the Franks.
(b) The opulent lifestyle of the Romans.
(c) The opulent lifestyle of the Persians.
(d) The opulent lifestyle of the Saxons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which women had more activities outside the home?
2. What is the third revolution, which involves the emergence of democracy?
3. In this type of freedom, an individual can do what he wants without the constraint of what?
4. What are palatine centralism, decentralized tribalism, rudimentary state formation and aristocratic resurgence?
5. On what is there greater reliance to produce the necessary revenues?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patterson, again, use Greek drama to examine the role of women?
2. From what do personal freedom and civic freedom awareness result?
3. What leads to war and the end of Athens' imperialism?
4. What is slavery? What is a slave-dominated society like?
5. What is a third revolution?
6. How does Patterson view the development of freedom as a social value?
7. What is the importance of Greek religion on freedom?
8. What are the schools of thought among Hellenistic thinkers?
9. Athens experiences three results from the transition to a slave economy. What are these three results?
10. How does slavery develop and change during this period in Carthage?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)