|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements describes the new class that arises?
(a) It is more powerful than the aristocracy.
(b) It is a new aristocracy.
(c) It is dependent on the aristocracy.
(d) It is not dependent on the aristocracy.
2. Preoccupation with freedom is predominately a _____________ concept.
3. Society's economic infrastructure consists of what, in addition to larger landholder farms?
(a) Mining for export and urban crafts.
(b) Exporting of wheat and other produce.
(c) Import of expensive stone and gems.
(d) Import of wheat.
4. Between what freedoms do they distinguish?
(a) Smooth and rigid.
(b) Outer and inner.
(c) Personal and civic.
(d) Warm and cool.
5. In earlier cultures, what was ultimately done with the captive slave?
(a) He or she was freed.
(b) He or she was sold.
(c) He or she was given away as a gift.
(d) He or she was eaten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dictates mortal life?
2. In this type of freedom, an individual can do what he wants without the constraint of what?
3. Who either fear being captured and made into slaves, or are already slaves and want release?
4. Who are many of the proponents of these schools of thought?
5. How are the living conditions of many Athenian women?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patterson, again, use Greek drama to examine the role of women?
2. What is the role of slaves in this society?
3. During the war in the sixth century B.C., Greek cities are occupied by the Persians. What does this do to the Greeks?
4. What leads to war and the end of Athens' imperialism?
5. This chapter examines the role of Greece in the historical development of freedom as a social value. What are the four designated periods of interest?
6. Describe the Oedipus trilogy of Sophocles in relation to freedom.
7. Why are foreign slaves brought into the country?
8. Describe the Imbangala people of Africa, regarding slavery.
9. Eventually the differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval. What causes this?
10. What does it mean to be Greek at this time?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)