|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is freedom not practical for a slave during this period?
(a) The slave master would not have an adequate amount of workers.
(b) He is not intelligent.
(c) He would have family with which to stay.
(d) He does not have a place to go.
2. Why must one be aware of and concerned with the thoughts and opinions of the intellectuals?
(a) They affect the people of all levels of society.
(b) They are the writers of the time.
(c) They are the wealthy aristocracy.
(d) They are the most intelligent.
3. By whom is society transformed?
(a) The lower class.
(b) The middle class.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The upper class.
4. The financial welfare of the slaveholder is now becoming dependent on what?
(a) The physical attributes of the slave.
(b) The productivity of the slave.
(c) The social class of the slave.
(d) The intelligence of the slave.
5. The third component is the ________ component, where individuals have the freedom to participate in the community and its governance, with their rights and obligations defined.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the women confined to home have for company?
2. To what can the development of freedom as a social value be traced?
3. Society's economic infrastructure consists of what, in addition to larger landholder farms?
4. For whom are the plays?
5. How does the ruling class find the majority of the population becoming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Oedipus trilogy of Sophocles in relation to freedom.
2. What does the effect of the Peloponnesian War on Athens and Greece affect slavery?
3. What is the role of slaves in this society?
4. How does Augustus influence the interpretations of freedom?
5. What is Reformist Stoicism?
6. What is Reactionary Stoicism?
7. This chapter examines the role of Greece in the historical development of freedom as a social value. What are the four designated periods of interest?
8. Patterson draws heavily on Greek drama to make his point. Give one example from which he cites.
9. What does the role of slavery in the development of freedom as a social value do?
10. What are Patterson's three components of freedom?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)