|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does this economically benefit?
(a) The poor Athenians.
(b) Both rich and poor Athenians.
(c) The rich Athenians.
(d) The middle class Athenians.
2. In order to foster productivity, there is also an accompanying increase in what, since this is the only way the society can attain the output it needs to survive?
3. Society's economic infrastructure consists of what, in addition to larger landholder farms?
(a) Import of expensive stone and gems.
(b) Exporting of wheat and other produce.
(c) Import of wheat.
(d) Mining for export and urban crafts.
4. What kind of freedom is this, on a national level?
5. Who are the Sophists?
(a) One of the groups of intellectuals that influence Roman thought.
(b) The followers of an intellectual named Sophie.
(c) One of the groups of intellectuals that influence Greek thought and values.
(d) One of the groups that conflicts with the intellectuals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Greek society hold women?
2. Who destroys the Athenians system of democracy in 322 B.C.?
3. Between what freedoms do they distinguish?
4. These factors lead to the development of what kind of society?
5. Who are the only beings that are truly free?
Short Essay Questions
1. This chapter examines the role of Greece in the historical development of freedom as a social value. What are the four designated periods of interest?
2. What do light and darkness symbolize used by the Greek dramatist?
3. What does this chapter describe?
4. The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C. What is one of the revolutions?
5. Patterson draws heavily on Greek drama to make his point. Give one example from which he cites.
6. What does Plato say about the soul?
7. During the war in the sixth century B.C., Greek cities are occupied by the Persians. What does this do to the Greeks?
8. What is a second revolution?
9. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
10. What is a third revolution?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)