|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A social reaction between slave, slaveholder and society must take place in order for what to happen?
(a) Inequality to exist.
(b) Freedom to develop as a value.
(c) Various social classes to exist.
(d) A person to be enslaved.
2. How does Greek drama, especially tragedy, credit women?
(a) With being responsible for guiding their men along the correct path.
(b) With being responsible for developing the social consciousness of concern for personal freedom and independence.
(c) With being responsible for feeding the Greek population.
(d) With being responsible for building up the Greek population.
3. According to Plato, what is the soul like?
(a) A mini-state in that it contains three parts.
(b) A transparent being.
(c) A container of thoughts.
(d) The true person.
4. Who destroys the Athenians system of democracy in 322 B.C.?
(a) The Macedonians.
(b) The Turks.
(c) The Persians.
(d) The Mongols.
5. Who are the only beings that are truly free?
(b) The gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must one be to be considered Greek?
2. What would a slave in this culture not have that is necessary to protect and nurture him?
3. Who are the Sophists?
4. Upon what form of freedom do intellectuals frown?
5. On what is the nineteenth century Imbangala people of Africa's society based?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of slaves in this society?
2. What are Patterson's three components of freedom?
3. How does Patterson view the development of freedom as a social value?
4. What is the importance of Greek religion on freedom?
5. What are the schools of thought among Hellenistic thinkers?
6. What does the effect of the Peloponnesian War on Athens and Greece affect slavery?
7. This chapter examines the role of Greece in the historical development of freedom as a social value. What are the four designated periods of interest?
8. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
9. Describe one group of intellectuals.
10. Describe the Oedipus trilogy of Sophocles in relation to freedom.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)