|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Three schools of thought exist among what thinkers?
2. What is not entirely correct regarding freedom and slavery?
(a) Defining them without terms of legal status.
(b) Defining them purely in terms of personal status.
(c) Defining them purely in terms of social status.
(d) Defining them purely in terms of legal status.
3. What would a slave in this culture not have that is necessary to protect and nurture him?
(b) The family and friendship structure.
(c) Food and shelter.
(d) A slave master.
4. When is this view of Mortal life beginning to be questioned?
(a) By the end of the sixth century B.C.
(b) By the middle of the sixth century B.C.
(c) By the middle of the fifth century B.C.
(d) By the end of the fifth century B.C.
5. The third component is the ________ component, where individuals have the freedom to participate in the community and its governance, with their rights and obligations defined.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the war in the sixth century B.C., Greek cities are occupied by whom?
2. Who writes the dramas?
3. Did freedom as an idea develop into a value everywhere?
4. What does the slave want?
5. How does the ruling class find the majority of the population becoming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
2. During the war in the sixth century B.C., Greek cities are occupied by the Persians. What does this do to the Greeks?
3. What is the importance of Greek religion on freedom?
4. The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C. What is one of the revolutions?
5. What does the effect of the Peloponnesian War on Athens and Greece affect slavery?
6. Eventually the differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval. What causes this?
7. How does Patterson view the development of freedom as a social value?
8. What does this chapter describe?
9. Describe the Oedipus trilogy of Sophocles in relation to freedom.
10. What is the role of slaves in this society?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)