|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to foster productivity, there is also an accompanying increase in what, since this is the only way the society can attain the output it needs to survive?
2. Greek drama represents what?
(a) A fantasy.
(b) A discourse on values.
(c) A realistic view of women in society.
(d) A time away from real life.
3. How does Greek drama, especially tragedy, credit women?
(a) With being responsible for feeding the Greek population.
(b) With being responsible for building up the Greek population.
(c) With being responsible for developing the social consciousness of concern for personal freedom and independence.
(d) With being responsible for guiding their men along the correct path.
4. On what does Patterson draw heavily to make his point?
(a) German symphonies.
(b) Roman plays.
(c) Greek drama.
(d) French operas.
5. The imperialistic quest of the Athenians is now directed at whom?
(c) Other Greek city-states.
(d) Other European nations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must one be aware of and concerned with the thoughts and opinions of the intellectuals?
2. Who writes the dramas?
3. Where are these elements first expressed?
4. What are palatine centralism, decentralized tribalism, rudimentary state formation and aristocratic resurgence?
5. _________________ freedom more or less defines the slave-slave master relationship.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a third revolution?
2. Why is freedom not a social value of the Tupinamba people of Brazil in the sixteenth century?
3. Given the premise that a social reaction between slave, slaveholder and society must take place in order for freedom to develop as a value, why didn't freedom as a value develop universally?
4. What leads to war and the end of Athens' imperialism?
5. Patterson draws heavily on Greek drama to make his point. Give one example from which he cites.
6. What does this chapter describe?
7. The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C. What is one of the revolutions?
8. What are the living conditions of women?
9. Explain one of the schools of thought.
10. What are the schools of thought among Hellenistic thinkers?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)