|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are palatine centralism, decentralized tribalism, rudimentary state formation and aristocratic resurgence?
(a) Four city-states.
(b) Four Grecian rules.
(c) Four designated periods of interest.
(d) Four villages.
2. This chapter describes events in the period between the Persian War and the beginning of what?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The Middle Ages.
(c) The Peloponnesian War.
(d) The 100 Years War.
3. How does agricultural production shift?
(a) Completely away from grain.
(b) Toward grain.
(c) Somewhat away from grain.
(d) Completely to grain.
4. Preoccupation with freedom is predominately a _____________ concept.
5. At the end of the war in 230 B.C., Athens establishes what, that brings their imperialism to an end?
(a) A kingdom.
(b) A monarchy.
(c) A democratic republic.
(d) A dictatorship.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Greek drama, especially tragedy, credit women?
2. What is an example of a social reform for the abolishment of debt, debt bondage and enslavement for debt?
3. How does this chapter examine the role of women in the development of the concept of freedom?
4. In this type of freedom, an individual can do what he wants without the constraint of what?
5. There is a shift in agricultural production away from what into the production of olives, figs, fruits, etc.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the significance on the development of freedom as a social value?
2. What does it mean to be Greek at this time?
3. Eventually the differing views of freedom lead to social conflict and upheaval. What causes this?
4. What is the role of slaves in this society?
5. How does Patterson view the development of freedom as a social value?
6. The development of freedom as a social value can be traced to five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C. What is one of the revolutions?
7. Patterson draws heavily on Greek drama to make his point. Give one example from which he cites.
8. Describe the Imbangala people of Africa, regarding slavery.
9. What does the effect of the Peloponnesian War on Athens and Greece affect slavery?
10. What is the importance of Greek religion on freedom?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)