|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
(a) The freedom of serfdom.
(b) The oppression of serfdom.
(c) The end of slavery.
(d) The compassion of the king.
2. What is one of the different periods of serfdom?
(a) Conservative serfdom.
(b) Liberal serfdom.
(c) Feudal serfdom.
(d) Ruler serfdom.
3. From what does the development of the concept of freedom in Rome result?
(a) A smooth transition.
(b) A series of debates.
(c) A contrasting jump from slavery to freedom.
(d) A series of struggles.
4. On what is the focus of this chapter?
(a) Mark and Luke's life after Jesus' death.
(b) Paul and his role in shaping Christianity.
(c) Peter and his relationship with Christ.
(d) John and his role in shaping Christianity.
5. What do his ideas provide?
(a) What the upper class need from Christianity.
(b) A reason for intellectuals to have faith.
(c) A belief of love and compassion.
(d) What is needed at the time for Christianity to be accepted.
6. How does Patterson describe the elements of slavery?
(a) As a loss of power and embarrassment.
(b) As being a vagrant, weak, and unintelligent.
(c) As having no family, friends, or home.
(d) As powerlessness, natal alienation and dishonor.
7. The practice of manumission and co-optation means the native born Romans, or the ruling class, are what?
(a) Not as intelligent as the slaves.
(b) Weaker than the slaves.
(c) Numerically now the majority.
(d) Numerically now a minority.
8. Augustine expands Paul's view and tries to incorporate what conception of freedom and God?
(a) The Napoleonic conception.
(b) The Neopolitan conception.
(c) The Metropolitan conception.
(d) The Neoplatonic conception.
9. The third involves the restructuring of Italian what?
10. According to Paul, from what are we saved?
(a) Other gods.
(c) The spiritual slavery of sin.
11. Since the sovereignal aspect of freedom dominates this era, historians have tended to ___________ the role of freedom.
(c) Focus on.
(d) Play up.
12. Who has the most freedom in terms of the sovereignal aspect of freedom?
(a) The women.
(b) The king.
(c) The men.
(d) The peasants.
13. What is the role of Jesus?
(a) He is the only leader of the church.
(b) He begins the church.
(c) He is the prophet delivering his message or vision.
(d) He is the first leader of the Christian church.
14. How is this conflict referred?
(a) As the fight for orders.
(b) As the struggle of the orders.
(c) As the transition to order.
(d) As the need for order.
15. How is the cult of Christianity similar to other cults of the time?
(a) It is monotheistic.
(b) It contains a savior.
(c) It is polytheistic.
(d) It preaches the coming of the apocalypse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Augustine, like Paul, is also concerned with the role of _______________ in Christianity.
2. Where are the greatest conversion rates?
3. In what do plebeians have more faith?
4. Whose thinking basically molds the early church and shapes generations of theological thinkers?
5. How do many in the nobility view the princeps?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)