|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does the development of the concept of freedom in Rome result?
(a) A smooth transition.
(b) A series of struggles.
(c) A contrasting jump from slavery to freedom.
(d) A series of debates.
2. With whom do the patricians conflict?
(a) The metics.
(b) The euclids.
(c) The plebeians.
(d) The pueblos.
3. What parts of the Roman economy are slave-based?
(a) Both urban and rural.
(d) Neither urban nor rural.
4. To whom do Augustus and the following emperors link themselves?
(a) The welfare of the populace.
(b) The welfare of the upper class.
(c) The welfare of themselves.
(d) The welfare of the middle class.
5. He extols the virtue of the ruler as what for the populace?
(a) A god.
(b) A wife.
(c) A strong hand and firm master.
(d) A provider and protector.
6. As Europe emerges from the Middle Ages, the church and European states become ____________ in terms of absolutism and thought processes.
(a) More similar.
(d) The same.
7. Why does Augustine view personal freedom as a form of emptiness that doesn't result in inner peace?
(a) It does not benefit him.
(b) It does not result in reconciliation.
(c) It does not help others.
(d) It is selfish.
8. How do many in the nobility view the princeps?
(a) As a form of power.
(b) As a form of wealth.
(c) As a form of slavery.
(d) As a form of leadership.
9. What is one of the phases?
(a) The baptism of John.
(b) The birth of Jesus.
(c) The prophetic phase of Jesus and the Jesus movement.
(d) The Crucifixion.
10. How do the plebeians view the civic freedom of the upper class?
(a) As something to desire.
(b) As a form of personal freedom.
(c) As a threat to their own personal freedom.
(d) As a good compromise to their personal freedom.
11. What happens to the wretched who convert?
(a) They must tithe.
(b) They go to hell.
(c) They are damned.
(d) They are purified of sin.
12. What is the role of Jesus?
(a) He is the first leader of the Christian church.
(b) He is the only leader of the church.
(c) He is the prophet delivering his message or vision.
(d) He begins the church.
13. Since the sovereignal aspect of freedom dominates this era, historians have tended to ___________ the role of freedom.
(c) Play up.
(d) Focus on.
14. What are slaves seeking and finding in Christianity?
(a) Food and shelter.
(b) Freedom and escape from bondage.
15. How do Jesus' followers reply to the critics?
(a) Jesus dies for the good of mankind and is resurrected.
(b) Jesus knows all the critics.
(c) Jesus has died.
(d) Jesus will return in three days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Rome similar to Greece?
2. In what do plebeians have more faith?
3. To what are the Reactionary Stoicism beliefs adapted?
4. Who has the most freedom in terms of the sovereignal aspect of freedom?
5. How does Augustus change his image and his manner of rule during his reign?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)