|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Augustine, like Paul, is also concerned with the role of _______________ in Christianity.
2. How does Patterson describe the elements of slavery?
(a) As powerlessness, natal alienation and dishonor.
(b) As being a vagrant, weak, and unintelligent.
(c) As a loss of power and embarrassment.
(d) As having no family, friends, or home.
3. Augustine expands Paul's view and tries to incorporate what conception of freedom and God?
(a) The Napoleonic conception.
(b) The Neopolitan conception.
(c) The Metropolitan conception.
(d) The Neoplatonic conception.
4. What is one of the different periods of serfdom?
(a) Conservative serfdom.
(b) Feudal serfdom.
(c) Ruler serfdom.
(d) Liberal serfdom.
5. With whom do the patricians conflict?
(a) The plebeians.
(b) The metics.
(c) The euclids.
(d) The pueblos.
6. How is this conflict referred?
(a) As the struggle of the orders.
(b) As the need for order.
(c) As the fight for orders.
(d) As the transition to order.
7. What does Augustine basically end up doing to the role of personal freedom?
(a) Downplaying it.
(b) Encouraging it.
(c) Playing it up.
(d) Emphasizing it.
8. How is Rome similar to Greece?
(a) It led by the same ruler.
(b) It is the same shape.
(c) It's people speak the same language.
(d) It is also a slave-based economy.
9. How do the plebeians view the civic freedom of the upper class?
(a) As something to desire.
(b) As a good compromise to their personal freedom.
(c) As a threat to their own personal freedom.
(d) As a form of personal freedom.
10. How is the cult of Christianity similar to other cults of the time?
(a) It preaches the coming of the apocalypse.
(b) It contains a savior.
(c) It is polytheistic.
(d) It is monotheistic.
11. He extols the virtue of the ruler as what for the populace?
(a) A god.
(b) A provider and protector.
(c) A wife.
(d) A strong hand and firm master.
12. Where does slavery exist until 11 A.D. and the on-set of feudalism?
(a) In Sweden and Norway.
(b) In Germany and Austria.
(c) In England and France.
(d) In France and Italy.
13. What does the Christian religion offer to the weaker elements of Hellenistic society?
14. From what does the development of the concept of freedom in Rome result?
(a) A smooth transition.
(b) A series of struggles.
(c) A series of debates.
(d) A contrasting jump from slavery to freedom.
15. In what forms do these rights or freedoms come?
(b) Monetary gain.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what do plebeians have more faith?
2. What does Jesus not intend to do?
3. What is sin considered to be?
4. Why does Augustine view personal freedom as a form of emptiness that doesn't result in inner peace?
5. To what are the Reactionary Stoicism beliefs adapted?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)