|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Paul say people suffer?
(a) People suffer because of their sins.
(b) People suffer because of fate.
(c) People suffer because of past life mistakes.
(d) People suffer because of others.
2. Of whom does the majority of the population consist?
(a) Native Romans.
3. Why does Augustine view personal freedom as a form of emptiness that doesn't result in inner peace?
(a) It is selfish.
(b) It does not help others.
(c) It does not benefit him.
(d) It does not result in reconciliation.
4. The practice of manumission and co-optation means the native born Romans, or the ruling class, are what?
(a) Not as intelligent as the slaves.
(b) Numerically now the majority.
(c) Weaker than the slaves.
(d) Numerically now a minority.
5. How do many of the serfs and peasants receive rights?
(a) By begging for them.
(b) By bribery and blackmail.
(c) By hard work.
(d) By paying monetarily for some of them.
6. How do many in the nobility view the princeps?
(a) As a form of power.
(b) As a form of leadership.
(c) As a form of slavery.
(d) As a form of wealth.
7. Augustus uses his sovereignal power for the______ of the populace.
(a) No member.
8. He extols the virtue of the ruler as what for the populace?
(a) A wife.
(b) A provider and protector.
(c) A god.
(d) A strong hand and firm master.
9. From what does the development of the concept of freedom in Rome result?
(a) A smooth transition.
(b) A contrasting jump from slavery to freedom.
(c) A series of debates.
(d) A series of struggles.
10. Whose thinking basically molds the early church and shapes generations of theological thinkers?
11. According to Paul, from what are we saved?
(b) Other gods.
(d) The spiritual slavery of sin.
12. What does the Christian religion offer to the weaker elements of Hellenistic society?
13. Who represents Reactionary Stoicism?
14. What are slaves seeking and finding in Christianity?
(b) Food and shelter.
(d) Freedom and escape from bondage.
15. As what do his views become known?
(a) The theology of monotheism.
(b) The theology of Christianity.
(c) The theology of freedom.
(d) The theology of Christ.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the cult of Christianity similar to other cults of the time?
2. In what do plebeians have more faith?
3. Since the sovereignal aspect of freedom dominates this era, historians have tended to ___________ the role of freedom.
4. Where does slavery exist until 11 A.D. and the on-set of feudalism?
5. What is the role of Jesus?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)