|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Augustus uses his sovereignal power for the______ of the populace.
(c) No member.
2. The second conflict takes place between 340-266 A.D., resulting in what?
(a) Rome growing and expanding to become Italy.
(b) Rome shrinking and consolidating.
(c) Rome growing and expanding to become Greece.
(d) Rome being taken over by the Greeks.
3. What is sin considered to be?
(a) A form of spiritual slavery that humans are freed from.
(b) Something from which only slaves suffer.
(c) From Adam and Eve.
(d) An influence of Satan.
4. Is it still possible for the upper class to experience personal freedom even when their civic freedom is severely limited by the princeps?
5. What does Augustine basically end up doing to the role of personal freedom?
(a) Downplaying it.
(b) Encouraging it.
(c) Playing it up.
(d) Emphasizing it.
6. Who has the most freedom in terms of the sovereignal aspect of freedom?
(a) The king.
(b) The men.
(c) The peasants.
(d) The women.
7. What is one of the phases?
(a) The baptism of John.
(b) The Crucifixion.
(c) The birth of Jesus.
(d) The prophetic phase of Jesus and the Jesus movement.
8. In what do plebeians have more faith?
(b) Many minor rulers.
(c) No rulers.
9. According to Augustine, from where does freedom come?
(a) As a gift from God.
(b) The mind.
(d) As something that is inherited.
10. The fact that Jesus is crucified and dies has critics doing what?
(a) Wondering when he will return.
(b) Questioning the absurdity of a Messiah who can't save himself from execution.
(c) Questioning if he actually died.
(d) Wishing they had met Him before He died.
11. He extols the virtue of the ruler as what for the populace?
(a) A strong hand and firm master.
(b) A god.
(c) A provider and protector.
(d) A wife.
12. According to Patterson, how many phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
13. How is the crucifixion of Jesus referred?
(a) As the "reason for the season."
(b) As the "scandal of the cross."
(c) As the "saving of man."
(d) As the "dying of God."
14. Where are the greatest conversion rates?
(a) In upper class societies.
(b) In middle class societies.
(c) In regions where slavery predominates.
(d) Among the Hellenic thinkers.
15. Why does Reactionary Stoicism appeal to the Roman upper classes?
(a) It is based on faith.
(b) It is based on social status.
(c) It is based on reason.
(d) It is based on wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the role of Jesus?
2. Freedom is mainly the domain of whom?
3. On what is the focus of this chapter?
4. Whose thinking basically molds the early church and shapes generations of theological thinkers?
5. How do the plebeians view the civic freedom of the upper class?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)