|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What parts of the Roman economy are slave-based?
(a) Neither urban nor rural.
(b) Both urban and rural.
2. How do many of the serfs and peasants receive rights?
(a) By paying monetarily for some of them.
(b) By bribery and blackmail.
(c) By begging for them.
(d) By hard work.
3. What is the role of Jesus?
(a) He is the first leader of the Christian church.
(b) He begins the church.
(c) He is the prophet delivering his message or vision.
(d) He is the only leader of the church.
4. Why does Reactionary Stoicism appeal to the Roman upper classes?
(a) It is based on reason.
(b) It is based on faith.
(c) It is based on wealth.
(d) It is based on social status.
5. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
(a) The oppression of serfdom.
(b) The end of slavery.
(c) The compassion of the king.
(d) The freedom of serfdom.
6. Why does Paul say people suffer?
(a) People suffer because of past life mistakes.
(b) People suffer because of fate.
(c) People suffer because of others.
(d) People suffer because of their sins.
7. As Europe emerges from the Middle Ages, the church and European states become ____________ in terms of absolutism and thought processes.
(a) The same.
(d) More similar.
8. What is one of the phases?
(a) The Crucifixion.
(b) The birth of Jesus.
(c) The baptism of John.
(d) The prophetic phase of Jesus and the Jesus movement.
9. What does Jesus not intend to do?
(a) Keep the church in one part of the world.
(b) Lay the foundations for a church based on his teachings.
(c) Leave the church at such a young age.
10. By what is slavery somewhat undermined in late 7 A.D.?
(a) Mass conversion to Buddhism.
(b) Mass conversion to Judaism.
(c) Mass conversion to Christianity.
(d) Mass conversion to Islam.
11. What happens once Christianity appears?
(a) It stays in the Middle East.
(b) It spreads quickly through Greece.
(c) It spreads slowly throughout the Roman Empire.
(d) It spreads rapidly throughout the Roman Empire.
12. From what does freedom come?
(a) The life of death.
(b) The death of life.
(c) The death of death.
(d) The end of life.
13. According to Paul, from what are we saved?
(b) Other gods.
(d) The spiritual slavery of sin.
14. According to Patterson, how many phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
15. He extols the virtue of the ruler as what for the populace?
(a) A strong hand and firm master.
(b) A provider and protector.
(c) A wife.
(d) A god.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of the freedom granted is to whom?
2. Augustine, like Paul, is also concerned with the role of _______________ in Christianity.
3. Whose thinking basically molds the early church and shapes generations of theological thinkers?
4. What do Jesus' followers turn into an act of glorification and propaganda?
5. As what do his views become known?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)