|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do his ideas provide?
(a) What the upper class need from Christianity.
(b) A reason for intellectuals to have faith.
(c) What is needed at the time for Christianity to be accepted.
(d) A belief of love and compassion.
2. Who represents Reactionary Stoicism?
3. How do Jesus' followers reply to the critics?
(a) Jesus knows all the critics.
(b) Jesus will return in three days.
(c) Jesus dies for the good of mankind and is resurrected.
(d) Jesus has died.
4. How is the cult of Christianity similar to other cults of the time?
(a) It is polytheistic.
(b) It contains a savior.
(c) It preaches the coming of the apocalypse.
(d) It is monotheistic.
5. What happens once Christianity appears?
(a) It spreads slowly throughout the Roman Empire.
(b) It spreads rapidly throughout the Roman Empire.
(c) It stays in the Middle East.
(d) It spreads quickly through Greece.
6. By what is slavery somewhat undermined in late 7 A.D.?
(a) Mass conversion to Islam.
(b) Mass conversion to Judaism.
(c) Mass conversion to Buddhism.
(d) Mass conversion to Christianity.
7. From what does freedom come?
(a) The end of life.
(b) The death of life.
(c) The death of death.
(d) The life of death.
8. What is the role of Jesus?
(a) He is the only leader of the church.
(b) He begins the church.
(c) He is the first leader of the Christian church.
(d) He is the prophet delivering his message or vision.
9. How do many in the nobility view the princeps?
(a) As a form of leadership.
(b) As a form of wealth.
(c) As a form of slavery.
(d) As a form of power.
10. Whose thinking basically molds the early church and shapes generations of theological thinkers?
11. Freedom is mainly the domain of whom?
(a) The King.
(b) The serfs.
(c) The landowner.
(d) The Queen.
12. Augustus' rule is at the expense of whose civic freedom?
(a) The lower classes.
(b) The slaves.
(c) The upper classes.
(d) The middle classes.
13. Augustine expands Paul's view and tries to incorporate what conception of freedom and God?
(a) The Neoplatonic conception.
(b) The Metropolitan conception.
(c) The Neopolitan conception.
(d) The Napoleonic conception.
14. Since the sovereignal aspect of freedom dominates this era, historians have tended to ___________ the role of freedom.
(a) Play up.
(c) Focus on.
15. To whom do Augustus and the following emperors link themselves?
(a) The welfare of the middle class.
(b) The welfare of the upper class.
(c) The welfare of the populace.
(d) The welfare of themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Christian religion offer to the weaker elements of Hellenistic society?
2. What does Jesus not intend to do?
3. Why does Paul say people suffer?
4. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
5. Augustus uses his sovereignal power for the______ of the populace.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)