|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What parts of the Roman economy are slave-based?
(b) Neither urban nor rural.
(c) Both urban and rural.
2. What is the role of Jesus?
(a) He begins the church.
(b) He is the prophet delivering his message or vision.
(c) He is the only leader of the church.
(d) He is the first leader of the Christian church.
3. By what is slavery somewhat undermined in late 7 A.D.?
(a) Mass conversion to Buddhism.
(b) Mass conversion to Judaism.
(c) Mass conversion to Christianity.
(d) Mass conversion to Islam.
4. What does Augustine basically end up doing to the role of personal freedom?
(a) Encouraging it.
(b) Downplaying it.
(c) Playing it up.
(d) Emphasizing it.
5. What happens once Christianity appears?
(a) It stays in the Middle East.
(b) It spreads slowly throughout the Roman Empire.
(c) It spreads quickly through Greece.
(d) It spreads rapidly throughout the Roman Empire.
6. What do Jesus' followers turn into an act of glorification and propaganda?
(a) The scandal of the cross.
(b) The saving of man.
(c) The dying of God.
(d) The reason for the season.
7. Is it still possible for the upper class to experience personal freedom even when their civic freedom is severely limited by the princeps?
8. How does Patterson describe the elements of slavery?
(a) As having no family, friends, or home.
(b) As being a vagrant, weak, and unintelligent.
(c) As a loss of power and embarrassment.
(d) As powerlessness, natal alienation and dishonor.
9. Most of the freedom granted is to whom?
(a) Communities or groups of guilds.
10. What do his ideas provide?
(a) What the upper class need from Christianity.
(b) What is needed at the time for Christianity to be accepted.
(c) A reason for intellectuals to have faith.
(d) A belief of love and compassion.
11. Freedom is mainly the domain of whom?
(a) The King.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The landowner.
(d) The serfs.
12. How is the cult of Christianity similar to other cults of the time?
(a) It preaches the coming of the apocalypse.
(b) It is monotheistic.
(c) It contains a savior.
(d) It is polytheistic.
13. What happens to the wretched who convert?
(a) They go to hell.
(b) They are damned.
(c) They are purified of sin.
(d) They must tithe.
14. Why does Paul say people suffer?
(a) People suffer because of fate.
(b) People suffer because of their sins.
(c) People suffer because of past life mistakes.
(d) People suffer because of others.
15. How does Augustus change his image and his manner of rule during his reign?
(a) From personality oriented to military oriented.
(b) From personality oriented to politically oriented.
(c) From military oriented to politically oriented.
(d) From military oriented to personality oriented.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do many in the nobility view the princeps?
2. What is one of the phases?
3. Why does Reactionary Stoicism appeal to the Roman upper classes?
4. Who has the most freedom in terms of the sovereignal aspect of freedom?
5. Why do they accept the sovereignal freedom of the emperor?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)