|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does slavery exist until 11 A.D. and the on-set of feudalism?
(a) In France and Italy.
(b) In Germany and Austria.
(c) In Sweden and Norway.
(d) In England and France.
2. Why do they accept the sovereignal freedom of the emperor?
(a) He is a kind man.
(b) They do not want any other ruler.
(c) He will do what he can to take care of them.
(d) It poses less of a threat to their own personal freedom than does the civic freedom of the upper class.
3. How do Jesus' followers reply to the critics?
(a) Jesus knows all the critics.
(b) Jesus dies for the good of mankind and is resurrected.
(c) Jesus will return in three days.
(d) Jesus has died.
4. Who has the most freedom in terms of the sovereignal aspect of freedom?
(a) The women.
(b) The king.
(c) The men.
(d) The peasants.
5. Why does Reactionary Stoicism appeal to the Roman upper classes?
(a) It is based on social status.
(b) It is based on faith.
(c) It is based on reason.
(d) It is based on wealth.
6. Whose thinking basically molds the early church and shapes generations of theological thinkers?
7. The practice of manumission and co-optation means the native born Romans, or the ruling class, are what?
(a) Numerically now a minority.
(b) Not as intelligent as the slaves.
(c) Numerically now the majority.
(d) Weaker than the slaves.
8. As Europe emerges from the Middle Ages, the church and European states become ____________ in terms of absolutism and thought processes.
(c) The same.
(d) More similar.
9. Since the sovereignal aspect of freedom dominates this era, historians have tended to ___________ the role of freedom.
(a) Focus on.
(b) Play up.
10. Augustus' rule is at the expense of whose civic freedom?
(a) The middle classes.
(b) The upper classes.
(c) The lower classes.
(d) The slaves.
11. How do many in the nobility view the princeps?
(a) As a form of wealth.
(b) As a form of leadership.
(c) As a form of power.
(d) As a form of slavery.
12. In what do plebeians have more faith?
(a) Many minor rulers.
(b) No rulers.
13. What is one of the different periods of serfdom?
(a) Ruler serfdom.
(b) Feudal serfdom.
(c) Liberal serfdom.
(d) Conservative serfdom.
14. Of whom does the majority of the population consist?
(d) Native Romans.
15. How is the crucifixion of Jesus referred?
(a) As the "scandal of the cross."
(b) As the "saving of man."
(c) As the "dying of God."
(d) As the "reason for the season."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Patterson, how many phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
2. What happens to the wretched who convert?
3. With whom do the patricians conflict?
4. How is this conflict referred?
5. What is sin considered to be?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)