|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As what do his views become known?
(a) The theology of Christianity.
(b) The theology of Christ.
(c) The theology of monotheism.
(d) The theology of freedom.
2. As Europe emerges from the Middle Ages, the church and European states become ____________ in terms of absolutism and thought processes.
(a) The same.
(b) More similar.
3. To whom do Augustus and the following emperors link themselves?
(a) The welfare of the populace.
(b) The welfare of themselves.
(c) The welfare of the middle class.
(d) The welfare of the upper class.
4. The second conflict takes place between 340-266 A.D., resulting in what?
(a) Rome being taken over by the Greeks.
(b) Rome growing and expanding to become Italy.
(c) Rome shrinking and consolidating.
(d) Rome growing and expanding to become Greece.
5. How is Rome similar to Greece?
(a) It is the same shape.
(b) It led by the same ruler.
(c) It's people speak the same language.
(d) It is also a slave-based economy.
6. How is the crucifixion of Jesus referred?
(a) As the "saving of man."
(b) As the "reason for the season."
(c) As the "dying of God."
(d) As the "scandal of the cross."
7. Augustine, like Paul, is also concerned with the role of _______________ in Christianity.
8. What does Augustine basically end up doing to the role of personal freedom?
(a) Encouraging it.
(b) Emphasizing it.
(c) Playing it up.
(d) Downplaying it.
9. Who has the most freedom in terms of the sovereignal aspect of freedom?
(a) The king.
(b) The peasants.
(c) The women.
(d) The men.
10. What are slaves seeking and finding in Christianity?
(b) Food and shelter.
(d) Freedom and escape from bondage.
11. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
(a) The end of slavery.
(b) The compassion of the king.
(c) The freedom of serfdom.
(d) The oppression of serfdom.
12. Most of the freedom granted is to whom?
(c) Communities or groups of guilds.
13. What is the role of Jesus?
(a) He is the prophet delivering his message or vision.
(b) He is the only leader of the church.
(c) He begins the church.
(d) He is the first leader of the Christian church.
14. What happens to the wretched who convert?
(a) They go to hell.
(b) They are purified of sin.
(c) They are damned.
(d) They must tithe.
15. The third involves the restructuring of Italian what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does the majority of the population consist?
2. Why does Paul say people suffer?
3. What does Jesus not intend to do?
4. How does Augustus change his image and his manner of rule during his reign?
5. Augustine expands Paul's view and tries to incorporate what conception of freedom and God?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)