|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Paul, from what are we saved?
(c) The spiritual slavery of sin.
(d) Other gods.
2. According to Patterson, how many phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
3. What does Jesus not intend to do?
(a) Lay the foundations for a church based on his teachings.
(c) Leave the church at such a young age.
(d) Keep the church in one part of the world.
4. How is the cult of Christianity similar to other cults of the time?
(a) It is polytheistic.
(b) It is monotheistic.
(c) It contains a savior.
(d) It preaches the coming of the apocalypse.
5. On what is the focus of this chapter?
(a) John and his role in shaping Christianity.
(b) Peter and his relationship with Christ.
(c) Paul and his role in shaping Christianity.
(d) Mark and Luke's life after Jesus' death.
6. In what do plebeians have more faith?
(a) Many minor rulers.
(d) No rulers.
7. What parts of the Roman economy are slave-based?
(c) Both urban and rural.
(d) Neither urban nor rural.
8. How do many in the nobility view the princeps?
(a) As a form of slavery.
(b) As a form of power.
(c) As a form of wealth.
(d) As a form of leadership.
9. What are slaves seeking and finding in Christianity?
(c) Freedom and escape from bondage.
(d) Food and shelter.
10. By what is slavery somewhat undermined in late 7 A.D.?
(a) Mass conversion to Buddhism.
(b) Mass conversion to Judaism.
(c) Mass conversion to Christianity.
(d) Mass conversion to Islam.
11. In the Middle Ages, what renews the interest in the quest for freedom?
(a) The oppression of serfdom.
(b) The compassion of the king.
(c) The end of slavery.
(d) The freedom of serfdom.
12. According to Augustine, from where does freedom come?
(a) The mind.
(c) As something that is inherited.
(d) As a gift from God.
13. Why do they accept the sovereignal freedom of the emperor?
(a) He is a kind man.
(b) He will do what he can to take care of them.
(c) They do not want any other ruler.
(d) It poses less of a threat to their own personal freedom than does the civic freedom of the upper class.
14. Of whom does the majority of the population consist?
(c) Native Romans.
15. Who has the most freedom in terms of the sovereignal aspect of freedom?
(a) The peasants.
(b) The women.
(c) The men.
(d) The king.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the role of Jesus?
2. Augustine, like Paul, is also concerned with the role of _______________ in Christianity.
3. He extols the virtue of the ruler as what for the populace?
4. Since the sovereignal aspect of freedom dominates this era, historians have tended to ___________ the role of freedom.
5. How do Jesus' followers reply to the critics?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)