|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By medieval times, the character of Europe has become rural __________.
(c) Slave-based societies.
2. What does this chapter examine?
(a) The role of Paul in shaping Christianity's attitude on freedom.
(b) The role of Paul as the father of Christianity.
(c) The role of Paul in shaping Christianity's attitude about other gods.
(d) The role of Paul as the ruler of the Christian faith.
3. Most of the freedom granted is to whom?
(d) Communities or groups of guilds.
4. The practice of manumission and co-optation means the native born Romans, or the ruling class, are what?
(a) Numerically now a minority.
(b) Numerically now the majority.
(c) Weaker than the slaves.
(d) Not as intelligent as the slaves.
5. The third involves the restructuring of Italian what?
6. To whom do Augustus and the following emperors link themselves?
(a) The welfare of themselves.
(b) The welfare of the middle class.
(c) The welfare of the populace.
(d) The welfare of the upper class.
7. According to Augustine, from where does freedom come?
(a) As a gift from God.
(b) As something that is inherited.
(d) The mind.
8. Freedom is mainly the domain of whom?
(a) The Queen.
(b) The landowner.
(c) The serfs.
(d) The King.
9. According to Patterson, how many phases exist in the development of early Christianity?
10. What is the role of Jesus?
(a) He begins the church.
(b) He is the first leader of the Christian church.
(c) He is the prophet delivering his message or vision.
(d) He is the only leader of the church.
11. What do Jesus' followers turn into an act of glorification and propaganda?
(a) The reason for the season.
(b) The scandal of the cross.
(c) The saving of man.
(d) The dying of God.
12. What is one of the different periods of serfdom?
(a) Ruler serfdom.
(b) Liberal serfdom.
(c) Feudal serfdom.
(d) Conservative serfdom.
13. What happens to the wretched who convert?
(a) They are purified of sin.
(b) They go to hell.
(c) They must tithe.
(d) They are damned.
14. As what do his views become known?
(a) The theology of freedom.
(b) The theology of Christianity.
(c) The theology of monotheism.
(d) The theology of Christ.
15. According to Paul, from what are we saved?
(b) The spiritual slavery of sin.
(d) Other gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since the sovereignal aspect of freedom dominates this era, historians have tended to ___________ the role of freedom.
2. What does the Christian religion offer to the weaker elements of Hellenistic society?
3. Why does Paul say people suffer?
4. In what do plebeians have more faith?
5. By what is slavery somewhat undermined in late 7 A.D.?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)