|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Freedom is mainly the domain of whom?
(a) The Queen.
(b) The serfs.
(c) The King.
(d) The landowner.
2. What does Augustine basically end up doing to the role of personal freedom?
(a) Playing it up.
(b) Encouraging it.
(c) Emphasizing it.
(d) Downplaying it.
3. What parts of the Roman economy are slave-based?
(a) Both urban and rural.
(c) Neither urban nor rural.
4. What is the role of Jesus?
(a) He is the prophet delivering his message or vision.
(b) He is the first leader of the Christian church.
(c) He begins the church.
(d) He is the only leader of the church.
5. What happens once Christianity appears?
(a) It spreads rapidly throughout the Roman Empire.
(b) It spreads quickly through Greece.
(c) It spreads slowly throughout the Roman Empire.
(d) It stays in the Middle East.
6. Since the sovereignal aspect of freedom dominates this era, historians have tended to ___________ the role of freedom.
(b) Play up.
(d) Focus on.
7. Augustine expands Paul's view and tries to incorporate what conception of freedom and God?
(a) The Neopolitan conception.
(b) The Napoleonic conception.
(c) The Metropolitan conception.
(d) The Neoplatonic conception.
8. What is sin considered to be?
(a) A form of spiritual slavery that humans are freed from.
(b) An influence of Satan.
(c) Something from which only slaves suffer.
(d) From Adam and Eve.
9. Who has the most freedom in terms of the sovereignal aspect of freedom?
(a) The men.
(b) The king.
(c) The women.
(d) The peasants.
10. How do many in the nobility view the princeps?
(a) As a form of leadership.
(b) As a form of power.
(c) As a form of slavery.
(d) As a form of wealth.
11. How does Augustus change his image and his manner of rule during his reign?
(a) From personality oriented to military oriented.
(b) From military oriented to personality oriented.
(c) From military oriented to politically oriented.
(d) From personality oriented to politically oriented.
12. What is one of the phases?
(a) The Crucifixion.
(b) The baptism of John.
(c) The birth of Jesus.
(d) The prophetic phase of Jesus and the Jesus movement.
13. Why does Augustine view personal freedom as a form of emptiness that doesn't result in inner peace?
(a) It is selfish.
(b) It does not help others.
(c) It does not result in reconciliation.
(d) It does not benefit him.
14. The second conflict takes place between 340-266 A.D., resulting in what?
(a) Rome growing and expanding to become Italy.
(b) Rome growing and expanding to become Greece.
(c) Rome shrinking and consolidating.
(d) Rome being taken over by the Greeks.
15. What are slaves seeking and finding in Christianity?
(b) Freedom and escape from bondage.
(c) Food and shelter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do his ideas provide?
2. How do the plebeians view the civic freedom of the upper class?
3. Augustus' rule is at the expense of whose civic freedom?
4. Who represents Reactionary Stoicism?
5. He extols the virtue of the ruler as what for the populace?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)