|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to debtors at this time?
(a) They are protected.
(b) They are exiled.
(c) They are sold into slavery.
(d) They are hanged.
2. On what does Patterson draw heavily to make his point?
(a) German symphonies.
(b) Greek drama.
(c) French operas.
(d) Roman plays.
3. Who did the women confined to home have for company?
(b) Their children.
4. What is an outgrowth of Socratic thought in which there is complete personal freedom, both inner and outer?
(b) The Socratic method.
5. Which of the following statements describes the new class that arises?
(a) It is a new aristocracy.
(b) It is dependent on the aristocracy.
(c) It is not dependent on the aristocracy.
(d) It is more powerful than the aristocracy.
6. This means that there has to be an increase in what?
(a) The slave population.
(b) The production of grain.
(c) The slave-master population.
(d) The number of farms.
7. What must one be to be considered Greek?
(a) A man.
(c) Native born.
(d) A member of Greek society.
8. For whom are the plays?
(a) The lower class.
(b) Male audiences.
(c) Female audiences.
(d) The upper class.
9. What does a second factor have to do with, which Patterson sees as "a strategic class error" (p. 65) because it results in a standard against which things can be measured?
(a) The spread of literacy and the development of a legal written code.
(b) The spread of wealth among this new class.
(c) The spread of legal tender that quickly reveals wealth.
(d) The spread of disease.
10. What would a slave in this culture not have that is necessary to protect and nurture him?
(a) The family and friendship structure.
(c) A slave master.
(d) Food and shelter.
11. The slave is owned by whom?
(a) His king.
(c) The slave master.
(d) His father.
12. Who are the only beings that are truly free?
(c) The gods.
13. What groups are excluded from any say in the government of the ruling wealthy?
(a) Slaves and women.
(b) The small rural landholder and women.
(c) The small rural landholder and children.
(d) Women and children.
14. During the war in the sixth century B.C., Greek cities are occupied by whom?
(a) The Persians.
(b) The Saxons.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Franks.
15. The concern with personal freedom basically results from whom?
(a) Female landowners of the period.
(b) Male landowners of the period.
(c) Male slaves of the period.
(d) Female slaves of the period.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do these slaves from the mines and those in the urban sector provide for the Athenians?
2. What dictates mortal life?
3. How does Greek society hold women?
4. How do societies everywhere regard the inception of freedom as a value?
5. Society's economic infrastructure consists of what, in addition to larger landholder farms?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)