|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do societies everywhere regard the inception of freedom as a value?
(a) They encourag it.
(b) They are envious of it.
(c) They ignore it.
(d) They resist it.
2. According to Plato, what is the soul like?
(a) The true person.
(b) A container of thoughts.
(c) A mini-state in that it contains three parts.
(d) A transparent being.
3. Which social classes of women are restricted to their houses with very little social life?
(a) Middle and lower class.
(b) Lower and upper class.
(c) Upper and middle class.
(d) All classes.
4. Slavery is more than just what kind of problem?
(a) In personal status.
(b) In legal status.
(c) In sovereignal status.
(d) In social status.
5. Of what is Greek drama full?
(a) Weak women in small roles.
(b) Strong women commanding leading roles.
(c) Strong women in small roles.
(d) Weak women in leading roles.
6. With what is freedom equated?
(a) Independence and self-sufficiency.
(b) Solitude and self-sufficiency.
(c) Indepence and solitude.
(d) Dependency and self-sufficiency.
7. In this chapter, what does Patterson examine?
(a) The view of inner freedom.
(b) The view of outer freedom.
(c) The view of rigid freedom.
(d) The view of slavery in Roman culture.
8. For what do the slaves yearn?
(a) Freedom and escape from bondage.
(b) Love and compassion.
(d) Food and shelter.
9. Preoccupation with freedom is predominately a _____________ concept.
10. When does the speech take place?
(a) During the last year of the Peloponnesian War.
(b) During the first year of the 100 Years War.
(c) During the last year of the Persian War.
(d) During the first year of the Peloponnesian War.
11. At the end of the war in 230 B.C., Athens establishes what, that brings their imperialism to an end?
(a) A monarchy.
(b) A kingdom.
(c) A democratic republic.
(d) A dictatorship.
12. Who does this economically benefit?
(a) The rich Athenians.
(b) Both rich and poor Athenians.
(c) The poor Athenians.
(d) The middle class Athenians.
13. When is this view of Mortal life beginning to be questioned?
(a) By the end of the sixth century B.C.
(b) By the middle of the sixth century B.C.
(c) By the end of the fifth century B.C.
(d) By the middle of the fifth century B.C.
14. Each of the three is concerned with what issue?
(a) The afterlife.
(b) The slavery-freedom issue.
(c) Death and dying.
(d) Compassion and compromise.
15. Again what does Patterson use to support this point?
(a) French operas.
(b) German symphonies.
(c) Greek drama.
(d) Roman plays.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since the slave master's financial welfare depended on the slave, what did he have to do?
2. There is a shift in agricultural production away from what into the production of olives, figs, fruits, etc.?
3. This means that there has to be an increase in what?
4. These factors lead to the development of what kind of society?
5. How does the ruling class find the majority of the population becoming?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)