|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What school of thought is one of moral introspection, postulating that the soul is trapped inside the body during life and is freed when the body dies.
(d) The Socratic method.
2. Why must one be aware of and concerned with the thoughts and opinions of the intellectuals?
(a) They are the wealthy aristocracy.
(b) They affect the people of all levels of society.
(c) They are the most intelligent.
(d) They are the writers of the time.
3. The years of the Peloponnesian War bring what to Athens and Greece?
(d) Only war.
4. By whom is society transformed?
(a) The lower class.
(b) The middle class.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The upper class.
5. How does this chapter examine the role of women in the development of the concept of freedom?
(a) Using Greek tragedy.
(b) Using French operas.
(c) Using Roman plays.
(d) Using German symphonies.
6. Patterson states that he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of what?
(a) Freedom as a social value.
(b) Greek culture and society.
(c) Freedom as a social value in Greece.
(d) Freedom in Roman culture.
7. How does agricultural production shift?
(a) Somewhat away from grain.
(b) Completely to grain.
(c) Toward grain.
(d) Completely away from grain.
8. What would a slave in this culture not have that is necessary to protect and nurture him?
(a) The family and friendship structure.
(b) Food and shelter.
(d) A slave master.
9. Did freedom as an idea develop into a value everywhere?
10. Freedom becomes associated with what in the minds of the populace?
(a) Victory over the Persians.
(b) Civic freedom.
(c) Sovereignal freedom.
(d) Pesonal freedom.
11. When is this view of Mortal life beginning to be questioned?
(a) By the end of the sixth century B.C.
(b) By the middle of the sixth century B.C.
(c) By the middle of the fifth century B.C.
(d) By the end of the fifth century B.C.
12. _________________ freedom more or less defines the slave-slave master relationship.
13. With what is freedom equated?
(a) Dependency and self-sufficiency.
(b) Solitude and self-sufficiency.
(c) Independence and self-sufficiency.
(d) Indepence and solitude.
14. Who writes the dramas?
(a) Male playwrights.
(b) Leaders of the aristocracy.
(c) Female playwrights.
(d) Poor men.
15. Among the Tupinamba, why does the slave exist?
(a) To provide an income for the slave master.
(b) For the honor and dignity of the slave master.
(c) To be a family member for the slave master.
(d) For protecting the slave master's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which social classes of women are restricted to their houses with very little social life?
2. These factors lead to the development of what kind of society?
3. According to Plato, what is the soul like?
4. At the end of the war in 230 B.C., Athens establishes what, that brings their imperialism to an end?
5. The contemporaneous development of slavery and the concept of freedom characterize what societies?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)