|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not entirely correct regarding freedom and slavery?
(a) Defining them purely in terms of social status.
(b) Defining them without terms of legal status.
(c) Defining them purely in terms of legal status.
(d) Defining them purely in terms of personal status.
2. What are the three elements of freedom called?
(a) The Cord thrice.
(b) The Choral trio.
(c) The Corpus triad.
(d) The Chordal triad.
3. What is also a factor contributing to the social conflict of this time?
4. Among the Tupinamba, why does the slave exist?
(a) To be a family member for the slave master.
(b) For the honor and dignity of the slave master.
(c) To provide an income for the slave master.
(d) For protecting the slave master's family.
5. Which social classes of women are restricted to their houses with very little social life?
(a) Middle and lower class.
(b) All classes.
(c) Upper and middle class.
(d) Lower and upper class.
6. Society's economic infrastructure consists of what, in addition to larger landholder farms?
(a) Import of expensive stone and gems.
(b) Import of wheat.
(c) Exporting of wheat and other produce.
(d) Mining for export and urban crafts.
7. In earlier cultures, what was ultimately done with the captive slave?
(a) He or she was sold.
(b) He or she was given away as a gift.
(c) He or she was freed.
(d) He or she was eaten.
8. The financial welfare of the slaveholder is now becoming dependent on what?
(a) The physical attributes of the slave.
(b) The productivity of the slave.
(c) The intelligence of the slave.
(d) The social class of the slave.
9. Athens experiences how many results from the transition to a slave economy?
10. With what is freedom equated?
(a) Solitude and self-sufficiency.
(b) Independence and self-sufficiency.
(c) Indepence and solitude.
(d) Dependency and self-sufficiency.
11. The contemporaneous development of slavery and the concept of freedom characterize what societies?
(a) Ancient Athens and Greece.
(b) Ancient Rome and Greece.
(c) Modern Athens and Greece.
(d) Ancient Carthage and Rome.
12. What is the third revolution, which involves the emergence of democracy?
(a) A social revolution.
(b) A political revolution.
(c) A philosophical revolution.
(d) An economic revolution.
13. The years of the Peloponnesian War bring what to Athens and Greece?
(d) Only war.
14. The imperialistic quest of the Athenians is now directed at whom?
(a) Other Greek city-states.
(d) Other European nations.
15. What does it mean to be Greek?
(a) To be enslaved.
(b) To be special.
(c) To be free.
(d) To be an outcast.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do these slaves from the mines and those in the urban sector provide for the Athenians?
2. In what revolution does the slaveholder become economically dependent on the slave for his own financial well-being?
3. To what can the development of freedom as a social value be traced?
4. Which of the following statements describes the new class that arises?
5. Who does the slave in this culture have?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)