|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Plato, what is the soul like?
(a) A container of thoughts.
(b) The true person.
(c) A transparent being.
(d) A mini-state in that it contains three parts.
2. During the war in the sixth century B.C., Greek cities are occupied by whom?
(a) The Saxons.
(b) The Franks.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Persians.
3. A social reaction between slave, slaveholder and society must take place in order for what to happen?
(a) Various social classes to exist.
(b) Inequality to exist.
(c) Freedom to develop as a value.
(d) A person to be enslaved.
4. Which of Aeschylus' plays does he cite?
(a) The Saxons and the Handsome Midwife.
(b) The Franks and the Beautiful Woman.
(c) The Persians and The Suppliant Maidens.
(d) The Romans and the Goddess Juno.
5. Eventually, the differing views of freedom lead to what?
(a) Social conflict and upheaval.
6. With what is freedom equated?
(a) Dependency and self-sufficiency.
(b) Solitude and self-sufficiency.
(c) Independence and self-sufficiency.
(d) Indepence and solitude.
7. Athens experiences how many results from the transition to a slave economy?
8. By whom is society transformed?
(a) The lower class.
(b) The upper class.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The middle class.
9. Which women had more activities outside the home?
(a) The higher up the women are on the social ladder.
(b) Those women in the middle of the social ladder.
(c) The lower down the women are on the social ladder.
(d) Any woman on the social ladder.
10. To what can the development of freedom as a social value be traced?
(a) Five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C.
(b) Five revolutions that occurred in Rome between 7 and 4 B.C.
(c) Five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 4 and 7 A.D.
(d) Five revolutions that occurred in Rome between 4 and 7 A.D.
11. When is this view of Mortal life beginning to be questioned?
(a) By the middle of the fifth century B.C.
(b) By the end of the sixth century B.C.
(c) By the end of the fifth century B.C.
(d) By the middle of the sixth century B.C.
12. With _____________ freedom, the individual is not dominated by another human.
13. Who writes the dramas?
(a) Female playwrights.
(b) Male playwrights.
(c) Leaders of the aristocracy.
(d) Poor men.
14. What groups are excluded from any say in the government of the ruling wealthy?
(a) Slaves and women.
(b) The small rural landholder and children.
(c) The small rural landholder and women.
(d) Women and children.
15. Since the slave master's financial welfare depended on the slave, what did he have to do?
(a) Find a way to purchase more slaves.
(b) Scare the slave into submission.
(c) Find a way to motivate the slave to produce.
(d) Trick the slave to produce.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what is the nineteenth century Imbangala people of Africa's society based?
2. Who either fear being captured and made into slaves, or are already slaves and want release?
3. The financial welfare of the slaveholder is now becoming dependent on what?
4. On what does Patterson draw heavily to make his point?
5. Why is freedom not practical for a slave during this period?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)