|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the days of ancient Carthage, the slave develops what kind of value?
2. This chapter describes events in the period between the Persian War and the beginning of what?
(a) The 100 Years War.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) The Peloponnesian War.
(d) The Middle Ages.
3. Who writes the dramas?
(a) Leaders of the aristocracy.
(b) Male playwrights.
(c) Poor men.
(d) Female playwrights.
4. According to Patterson, what are the three components of freedom?
(a) Formal, informal, and community.
(b) Personal, sovereignal, and civic.
(c) Individual, unique, and social.
(d) Ruler, kingdom, and peasant.
5. Greek drama represents what?
(a) A discourse on values.
(b) A fantasy.
(c) A time away from real life.
(d) A realistic view of women in society.
6. What school of thought is one of moral introspection, postulating that the soul is trapped inside the body during life and is freed when the body dies.
(d) The Socratic method.
7. Between what freedoms do they distinguish?
(a) Warm and cool.
(b) Personal and civic.
(c) Smooth and rigid.
(d) Outer and inner.
8. What does the slave want?
(a) To be loved.
(b) To be free and an equal member of society.
(c) To be given the necessities of survival.
(d) To be given work.
9. In this chapter, what does Patterson examine?
(a) The view of rigid freedom.
(b) The view of slavery in Roman culture.
(c) The view of outer freedom.
(d) The view of inner freedom.
10. What are the three elements of freedom called?
(a) The Chordal triad.
(b) The Cord thrice.
(c) The Corpus triad.
(d) The Choral trio.
11. In order to foster productivity, there is also an accompanying increase in what, since this is the only way the society can attain the output it needs to survive?
12. How does the ruling class find the majority of the population becoming?
(a) Economically and socially dependent on it.
(b) Economically and socially independent of it.
(c) Politically independent of it.
(d) Politically dependent on it.
13. According to Plato, what is the soul like?
(a) A transparent being.
(b) The true person.
(c) A container of thoughts.
(d) A mini-state in that it contains three parts.
14. Personal freedom awareness results from the role of what Greeks?
15. Upon what form of freedom do intellectuals frown?
(a) The civic view.
(b) The rigid view.
(c) The outer or external view.
(d) The warm view.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Patterson draw heavily to make his point?
2. In earlier cultures, what was ultimately done with the captive slave?
3. Who destroys the Athenians system of democracy in 322 B.C.?
4. Who are the only beings that are truly free?
5. How does agricultural production shift?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)