|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what preoccupation among citizens does this lead?
(a) Regarding manual labor and working for others.
(b) Regarding the purchasing of slaves.
(c) Regarding the work of slaves.
(d) Regarding landownership.
2. Which of Aeschylus' plays does he cite?
(a) The Saxons and the Handsome Midwife.
(b) The Persians and The Suppliant Maidens.
(c) The Romans and the Goddess Juno.
(d) The Franks and the Beautiful Woman.
3. Which of the following statements describes the new class that arises?
(a) It is not dependent on the aristocracy.
(b) It is a new aristocracy.
(c) It is more powerful than the aristocracy.
(d) It is dependent on the aristocracy.
4. For whom are the plays?
(a) The upper class.
(b) Female audiences.
(c) The lower class.
(d) Male audiences.
5. To what can the development of freedom as a social value be traced?
(a) Five revolutions that occurred in Rome between 7 and 4 B.C.
(b) Five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 4 and 7 A.D.
(c) Five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C.
(d) Five revolutions that occurred in Rome between 4 and 7 A.D.
6. When has someone achieved inner freedom?
(a) When an individual is an independent thinker.
(b) When an individual becomes educated in freedom.
(c) When an individual prays to his or her gods.
(d) When an individual dies.
7. On what is Athens now completely dependent?
(a) Grain imports.
(b) Grain exports.
(c) Food made from grain.
(d) Grain-based economies.
8. By whom is society transformed?
(a) The middle class.
(b) The lower class.
(c) The upper class.
(d) The slaves.
9. The years of the Peloponnesian War bring what to Athens and Greece?
(d) Only war.
10. Where are these elements first expressed?
(a) In the worship of Athena.
(b) In the feast of Zeus.
(c) In the wedding oration of Perna.
(d) In the funeral oration of Pericles.
11. The slave is owned by whom?
(a) The slave master.
(b) His father.
(c) His king.
12. Who are the only beings that are truly free?
(a) The gods.
13. What delineates the fifth revolution of this period?
(a) Concern with social freedom.
(b) Concern with economic freedom.
(c) Concern with political freedom.
(d) Concern with freedom as a value.
14. When does the speech take place?
(a) During the last year of the Persian War.
(b) During the last year of the Peloponnesian War.
(c) During the first year of the Peloponnesian War.
(d) During the first year of the 100 Years War.
15. Society's economic infrastructure consists of what, in addition to larger landholder farms?
(a) Exporting of wheat and other produce.
(b) Mining for export and urban crafts.
(c) Import of wheat.
(d) Import of expensive stone and gems.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what revolution does the slaveholder become economically dependent on the slave for his own financial well-being?
2. What happens to debtors at this time?
3. The third component is the ________ component, where individuals have the freedom to participate in the community and its governance, with their rights and obligations defined.
4. Who are many of the proponents of these schools of thought?
5. The imperialistic quest of the Athenians is now directed at whom?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)