|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The third component is the ________ component, where individuals have the freedom to participate in the community and its governance, with their rights and obligations defined.
2. What dictates mortal life?
(b) Decisions made by each individual.
3. With what is freedom equated?
(a) Independence and self-sufficiency.
(b) Dependency and self-sufficiency.
(c) Solitude and self-sufficiency.
(d) Indepence and solitude.
4. In earlier cultures, what was ultimately done with the captive slave?
(a) He or she was sold.
(b) He or she was given away as a gift.
(c) He or she was eaten.
(d) He or she was freed.
5. Which women had more activities outside the home?
(a) Any woman on the social ladder.
(b) Those women in the middle of the social ladder.
(c) The lower down the women are on the social ladder.
(d) The higher up the women are on the social ladder.
6. Which of the following statements describes the new class that arises?
(a) It is more powerful than the aristocracy.
(b) It is not dependent on the aristocracy.
(c) It is dependent on the aristocracy.
(d) It is a new aristocracy.
7. Since the slave master's financial welfare depended on the slave, what did he have to do?
(a) Find a way to motivate the slave to produce.
(b) Scare the slave into submission.
(c) Trick the slave to produce.
(d) Find a way to purchase more slaves.
8. At the end of the war in 230 B.C., Athens establishes what, that brings their imperialism to an end?
(a) A dictatorship.
(b) A democratic republic.
(c) A monarchy.
(d) A kingdom.
9. How does Greek drama, especially tragedy, credit women?
(a) With being responsible for feeding the Greek population.
(b) With being responsible for building up the Greek population.
(c) With being responsible for developing the social consciousness of concern for personal freedom and independence.
(d) With being responsible for guiding their men along the correct path.
10. On what is the nineteenth century Imbangala people of Africa's society based?
11. Did freedom as an idea develop into a value everywhere?
12. Again what does Patterson use to support this point?
(a) German symphonies.
(b) Roman plays.
(c) Greek drama.
(d) French operas.
13. Who writes the dramas?
(a) Leaders of the aristocracy.
(b) Female playwrights.
(c) Male playwrights.
(d) Poor men.
14. On what does Patterson draw heavily to make his point?
(a) Greek drama.
(b) French operas.
(c) Roman plays.
(d) German symphonies.
15. In order to foster productivity, there is also an accompanying increase in what, since this is the only way the society can attain the output it needs to survive?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to these former slaves that become successful and prosperous?
2. The imperialistic quest of the Athenians is now directed at whom?
3. Who either fear being captured and made into slaves, or are already slaves and want release?
4. What delineates the fifth revolution of this period?
5. What is also a factor contributing to the social conflict of this time?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)