|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the living conditions of many Athenian women?
(a) Rather eventful.
(b) Rather lavish.
(c) Rather harsh.
(d) Rather boring.
2. This means that there has to be an increase in what?
(a) The number of farms.
(b) The slave-master population.
(c) The production of grain.
(d) The slave population.
3. This chapter describes events in the period between the Persian War and the beginning of what?
(a) The 100 Years War.
(b) The Middle Ages.
(c) The Peloponnesian War.
(d) The Renaissance.
4. Where are these elements first expressed?
(a) In the feast of Zeus.
(b) In the worship of Athena.
(c) In the wedding oration of Perna.
(d) In the funeral oration of Pericles.
5. In order to foster productivity, there is also an accompanying increase in what, since this is the only way the society can attain the output it needs to survive?
6. Why must one be aware of and concerned with the thoughts and opinions of the intellectuals?
(a) They are the wealthy aristocracy.
(b) They are the writers of the time.
(c) They are the most intelligent.
(d) They affect the people of all levels of society.
7. According to Plato, what is the soul like?
(a) A transparent being.
(b) A container of thoughts.
(c) A mini-state in that it contains three parts.
(d) The true person.
8. What must one be to be considered Greek?
(b) A man.
(c) Native born.
(d) A member of Greek society.
9. In this type of freedom, an individual can do what he wants without the constraint of what?
(a) Any choice.
(b) The wishes of others.
(c) His own wishes.
(d) Having to pay for it.
10. Which social classes of women are restricted to their houses with very little social life?
(a) All classes.
(b) Upper and middle class.
(c) Middle and lower class.
(d) Lower and upper class.
11. Why is freedom not practical for a slave during this period?
(a) He would have family with which to stay.
(b) The slave master would not have an adequate amount of workers.
(c) He does not have a place to go.
(d) He is not intelligent.
12. With what is freedom equated?
(a) Indepence and solitude.
(b) Independence and self-sufficiency.
(c) Dependency and self-sufficiency.
(d) Solitude and self-sufficiency.
13. On what is Athens now completely dependent?
(a) Grain imports.
(b) Grain-based economies.
(c) Grain exports.
(d) Food made from grain.
14. Who does this economically benefit?
(a) The poor Athenians.
(b) The middle class Athenians.
(c) Both rich and poor Athenians.
(d) The rich Athenians.
15. What is also a factor contributing to the social conflict of this time?
Short Answer Questions
1. The third component is the ________ component, where individuals have the freedom to participate in the community and its governance, with their rights and obligations defined.
2. There is a shift in agricultural production away from what into the production of olives, figs, fruits, etc.?
3. How do these slaves from the mines and those in the urban sector provide for the Athenians?
4. By whom is society transformed?
5. The years of the Peloponnesian War bring what to Athens and Greece?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)