|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what is Athens now completely dependent?
(a) Food made from grain.
(b) Grain-based economies.
(c) Grain imports.
(d) Grain exports.
2. What delineates the fifth revolution of this period?
(a) Concern with political freedom.
(b) Concern with social freedom.
(c) Concern with freedom as a value.
(d) Concern with economic freedom.
3. The social value of freedom exists by the end of what century?
(a) The seventh.
(b) The sixth.
(c) The fifth.
(d) The fourth.
4. The years of the Peloponnesian War bring what to Athens and Greece?
(a) Only war.
5. The third component is the ________ component, where individuals have the freedom to participate in the community and its governance, with their rights and obligations defined.
6. When is this view of Mortal life beginning to be questioned?
(a) By the end of the sixth century B.C.
(b) By the middle of the fifth century B.C.
(c) By the end of the fifth century B.C.
(d) By the middle of the sixth century B.C.
7. By whom is society transformed?
(a) The middle class.
(b) The upper class.
(c) The lower class.
(d) The slaves.
8. What happens to these former slaves that become successful and prosperous?
(a) They cause resentment among the still-oppressed slaves.
(b) They miss their old lives.
(c) They are abused by the aristocracy and the still-oppressed slaves.
(d) They become disrespectful and out of control.
9. How are the living conditions of many Athenian women?
(a) Rather harsh.
(b) Rather boring.
(c) Rather eventful.
(d) Rather lavish.
10. Freedom is relative in that the more freedom one individual has, the ______ freedom another has.
11. Patterson states that he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of what?
(a) Greek culture and society.
(b) Freedom in Roman culture.
(c) Freedom as a social value.
(d) Freedom as a social value in Greece.
12. Which of the following statements describes the new class that arises?
(a) It is dependent on the aristocracy.
(b) It is more powerful than the aristocracy.
(c) It is a new aristocracy.
(d) It is not dependent on the aristocracy.
13. How does Greek society hold women?
(a) Somewhat highly.
(b) Not at all.
(c) Not very highly.
(d) Very highly.
14. Personal freedom awareness results from the role of what Greeks?
15. On what is there greater reliance to produce the necessary revenues?
(a) The slave-operated grain fields.
(b) The slave-operated grain mills.
(c) The slave-operated grain fields, mills, and shops.
(d) The slave-operated silver mines and urban craft industries.
Short Answer Questions
1. The slave is owned by whom?
2. According to Patterson, what are the three components of freedom?
3. How do societies everywhere regard the inception of freedom as a value?
4. What does the slave want?
5. Which of Aeschylus' plays does he cite?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)