|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to debtors at this time?
(a) They are hanged.
(b) They are protected.
(c) They are sold into slavery.
(d) They are exiled.
2. Personal freedom awareness results from the role of what Greeks?
3. In what revolution does a large slave population exist to serve the aristocracy and non-farm population?
(a) A freedom revolution.
(b) A political revolution.
(c) An economic revolution.
(d) A social revolution.
4. What does it mean to be Greek?
(a) To be enslaved.
(b) To be special.
(c) To be an outcast.
(d) To be free.
5. How does this chapter examine the role of women in the development of the concept of freedom?
(a) Using French operas.
(b) Using Roman plays.
(c) Using German symphonies.
(d) Using Greek tragedy.
6. Patterson states that he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of what?
(a) Freedom in Roman culture.
(b) Freedom as a social value.
(c) Greek culture and society.
(d) Freedom as a social value in Greece.
7. Who are the only beings that are truly free?
(c) The gods.
8. Upon what form of freedom do intellectuals frown?
(a) The civic view.
(b) The warm view.
(c) The outer or external view.
(d) The rigid view.
9. The slave is owned by whom?
(b) His father.
(c) His king.
(d) The slave master.
10. The third component is the ________ component, where individuals have the freedom to participate in the community and its governance, with their rights and obligations defined.
11. During the war in the sixth century B.C., Greek cities are occupied by whom?
(a) The Franks.
(b) The Saxons.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Persians.
12. Did freedom as an idea develop into a value everywhere?
13. Greek drama represents what?
(a) A discourse on values.
(b) A fantasy.
(c) A realistic view of women in society.
(d) A time away from real life.
14. With _____________ freedom, the individual is not dominated by another human.
15. Three schools of thought exist among what thinkers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What groups are excluded from any say in the government of the ruling wealthy?
2. How does agricultural production shift?
3. To what does this lead?
4. In this chapter, what does Patterson examine?
5. Preoccupation with freedom is predominately a _____________ concept.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)