|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who writes the dramas?
(a) Female playwrights.
(b) Poor men.
(c) Leaders of the aristocracy.
(d) Male playwrights.
2. Which of the following statements describes the new class that arises?
(a) It is not dependent on the aristocracy.
(b) It is a new aristocracy.
(c) It is more powerful than the aristocracy.
(d) It is dependent on the aristocracy.
3. Between what freedoms do they distinguish?
(a) Personal and civic.
(b) Warm and cool.
(c) Outer and inner.
(d) Smooth and rigid.
4. The third component is the ________ component, where individuals have the freedom to participate in the community and its governance, with their rights and obligations defined.
5. With _____________ freedom, the individual is not dominated by another human.
6. To what does this expose the Greeks?
(a) The opulent lifestyle of the Franks.
(b) The opulent lifestyle of the Romans.
(c) The opulent lifestyle of the Persians.
(d) The opulent lifestyle of the Saxons.
7. Society's economic infrastructure consists of what, in addition to larger landholder farms?
(a) Mining for export and urban crafts.
(b) Import of wheat.
(c) Exporting of wheat and other produce.
(d) Import of expensive stone and gems.
8. What must one be to be considered Greek?
(b) A man.
(c) A member of Greek society.
(d) Native born.
9. What would a slave in this culture not have that is necessary to protect and nurture him?
(a) The family and friendship structure.
(b) Food and shelter.
(c) A slave master.
10. In what revolution does a large slave population exist to serve the aristocracy and non-farm population?
(a) A political revolution.
(b) An economic revolution.
(c) A social revolution.
(d) A freedom revolution.
11. To what can the development of freedom as a social value be traced?
(a) Five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C.
(b) Five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 4 and 7 A.D.
(c) Five revolutions that occurred in Rome between 4 and 7 A.D.
(d) Five revolutions that occurred in Rome between 7 and 4 B.C.
12. How do societies everywhere regard the inception of freedom as a value?
(a) They resist it.
(b) They ignore it.
(c) They encourag it.
(d) They are envious of it.
13. Who does the slave in this culture have?
(a) The slave master.
(b) His family.
(c) His friends.
(d) His mother.
14. Which of Aeschylus' plays does he cite?
(a) The Romans and the Goddess Juno.
(b) The Saxons and the Handsome Midwife.
(c) The Persians and The Suppliant Maidens.
(d) The Franks and the Beautiful Woman.
15. What is an example of a social reform for the abolishment of debt, debt bondage and enslavement for debt?
(a) Solomon's seisochtheia.
(b) Solon's seisochtheia.
(c) Solomon's seize.
(d) Solon's seize.
Short Answer Questions
1. A social reaction between slave, slaveholder and society must take place in order for what to happen?
2. Patterson states that he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of what?
3. Slavery is more than just what kind of problem?
4. Personal freedom awareness results from the role of what Greeks?
5. In what revolution does the slaveholder become economically dependent on the slave for his own financial well-being?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)