|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The upper class young men of the time are educated in Stoicism and despise who?
(a) The slaves.
(b) The other members of the upper class.
(c) The populace.
(d) The middle class.
2. How does agricultural production shift?
(a) Completely to grain.
(b) Completely away from grain.
(c) Toward grain.
(d) Somewhat away from grain.
3. Where does slavery exist until 11 A.D. and the on-set of feudalism?
(a) In France and Italy.
(b) In Germany and Austria.
(c) In Sweden and Norway.
(d) In England and France.
4. According to Patterson, what are the three components of freedom?
(a) Ruler, kingdom, and peasant.
(b) Individual, unique, and social.
(c) Formal, informal, and community.
(d) Personal, sovereignal, and civic.
5. How do the plebeians view the civic freedom of the upper class?
(a) As a threat to their own personal freedom.
(b) As something to desire.
(c) As a form of personal freedom.
(d) As a good compromise to their personal freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Patterson states that he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of what?
2. According to Augustine, from where does freedom come?
3. Since the sovereignal aspect of freedom dominates this era, historians have tended to ___________ the role of freedom.
4. What is the third revolution, which involves the emergence of democracy?
5. In the days of ancient Carthage, the slave develops what kind of value?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)