|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Freedom becomes associated with what in the minds of the populace?
(a) Civic freedom.
(b) Sovereignal freedom.
(c) Pesonal freedom.
(d) Victory over the Persians.
2. Augustus' rule is at the expense of whose civic freedom?
(a) The upper classes.
(b) The lower classes.
(c) The slaves.
(d) The middle classes.
3. To whom do Augustus and the following emperors link themselves?
(a) The welfare of the populace.
(b) The welfare of the middle class.
(c) The welfare of the upper class.
(d) The welfare of themselves.
4. Athens experiences how many results from the transition to a slave economy?
5. To what can the development of freedom as a social value be traced?
(a) Five revolutions that occurred in Rome between 7 and 4 B.C.
(b) Five revolutions that occurred in Rome between 4 and 7 A.D.
(c) Five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 4 and 7 A.D.
(d) Five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a second factor have to do with, which Patterson sees as "a strategic class error" (p. 65) because it results in a standard against which things can be measured?
2. Who are many of the proponents of these schools of thought?
3. What are palatine centralism, decentralized tribalism, rudimentary state formation and aristocratic resurgence?
4. The third component is the ________ component, where individuals have the freedom to participate in the community and its governance, with their rights and obligations defined.
5. What delineates the fifth revolution of this period?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)