|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Freedom is relative in that the more freedom one individual has, the ______ freedom another has.
2. What does this chapter examine?
(a) The role of Rome in the historical development of freedom.
(b) The role of Greece in the historical development of freedom as a social value.
(c) The role of Crete in the development of freedom.
(d) The role of Italy in the historical development of freedom.
3. The years of the Peloponnesian War bring what to Athens and Greece?
(b) Only war.
4. What does the external response reveal about intellectuals?
(a) The opinions of the intellectuals on what they would like to see in society.
(b) The opinions of the intellectuals on what is best for society.
(c) What annoys the intellectuals about society.
(d) The opinions of the intellectuals on what they see happen in their society.
5. In this chapter, what does Patterson examine?
(a) The view of rigid freedom.
(b) The view of inner freedom.
(c) The view of slavery in Roman culture.
(d) The view of outer freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what are the Reactionary Stoicism beliefs adapted?
2. The whole fabric of society exists around and is dependent on what?
3. From what does the development of the concept of freedom in Rome result?
4. Patterson states that he does not mean for his book to be a study of the intellectual study of freedom, but the historical development of what?
5. In earlier cultures, what was ultimately done with the captive slave?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)