|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a second factor have to do with, which Patterson sees as "a strategic class error" (p. 65) because it results in a standard against which things can be measured?
(a) The spread of literacy and the development of a legal written code.
(b) The spread of legal tender that quickly reveals wealth.
(c) The spread of disease.
(d) The spread of wealth among this new class.
2. The financial welfare of the slaveholder is now becoming dependent on what?
(a) The social class of the slave.
(b) The physical attributes of the slave.
(c) The productivity of the slave.
(d) The intelligence of the slave.
3. When does the speech take place?
(a) During the last year of the Peloponnesian War.
(b) During the first year of the Peloponnesian War.
(c) During the last year of the Persian War.
(d) During the first year of the 100 Years War.
4. What does this chapter examine?
(a) The role of Greece in the historical development of freedom as a social value.
(b) The role of Rome in the historical development of freedom.
(c) The role of Italy in the historical development of freedom.
(d) The role of Crete in the development of freedom.
5. To what does this expose the Greeks?
(a) The opulent lifestyle of the Franks.
(b) The opulent lifestyle of the Romans.
(c) The opulent lifestyle of the Saxons.
(d) The opulent lifestyle of the Persians.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Patterson, what are the three components of freedom?
2. Who does the slave in this culture have?
3. _________________ freedom more or less defines the slave-slave master relationship.
4. Where are these elements first expressed?
5. The social value of freedom exists by the end of what century?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)