|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The financial welfare of the slaveholder is now becoming dependent on what?
(a) The productivity of the slave.
(b) The intelligence of the slave.
(c) The social class of the slave.
(d) The physical attributes of the slave.
2. Since the slave master's financial welfare depended on the slave, what did he have to do?
(a) Find a way to motivate the slave to produce.
(b) Trick the slave to produce.
(c) Scare the slave into submission.
(d) Find a way to purchase more slaves.
3. What does a second factor have to do with, which Patterson sees as "a strategic class error" (p. 65) because it results in a standard against which things can be measured?
(a) The spread of wealth among this new class.
(b) The spread of legal tender that quickly reveals wealth.
(c) The spread of disease.
(d) The spread of literacy and the development of a legal written code.
4. To what can the development of freedom as a social value be traced?
(a) Five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 4 and 7 A.D.
(b) Five revolutions that occurred in Rome between 4 and 7 A.D.
(c) Five revolutions that occurred in Athens between 7 and 4 B.C.
(d) Five revolutions that occurred in Rome between 7 and 4 B.C.
5. Among the Tupinamba, why does the slave exist?
(a) For the honor and dignity of the slave master.
(b) To provide an income for the slave master.
(c) For protecting the slave master's family.
(d) To be a family member for the slave master.
Short Answer Questions
1. A social reaction between slave, slaveholder and society must take place in order for what to happen?
2. Who does this economically benefit?
3. How are the living conditions of many Athenian women?
4. Why is freedom not practical for a slave during this period?
5. Who does the slave in this culture have?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)