|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another condition of flow is how the __________ affects a person's goals and desires for their lives.
2. _________ increases as people age, according to the book, so people become more willing to ask what their life is about.
3. Merging action with __________ also can increase flow, as in the case of physical activity, according to the author.
4. One must ask how these expectations of one's future are formed and realize that the outcome is a _______________ experience.
5. When there is no real sense of self within a person because of the outside distractions, that person is said to be ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some crucial elements in achieving enjoyment in one's life, according to this book?
2. What does the author want people to realize about the idea of challenges?
3. What is the difference between pleasure and enjoyment, according to the author of the book?
4. What can the self give insight into, according to Csikszentmihalyi in this section of the book?
5. What is the question that the book says psychologists and philosophers are no closer to finding the answer to?
6. What is the definition of flow, according to the findings of the author in this book?
7. What is the example that is given in this section of the book to show a situation in which a person can apply the answer to #17?
8. How are people's perceptions affected, according to the author of this book?
9. How does the author say that happiness can be achieved, as he does not believe it is an unattainable goal?
10. What happens to the self during experience, according to the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though some people do not like work, they don't experience flow in their leisure time either.
Part 1: Why do you think some people aren't finding flow in their lives?
Part 2: Do you think you'd feel more flow with more or less leisure time? Why?
Part 3: How do you think your life would change if you had more free time?
Essay Topic 2
Flow can also be generated in the mind, not just in the body through physical activities.
Part 1: Why do you think flow is easier to find during physical activities?
Part 2: How do you think the mind can begin to achieve flow on a regular basis?
Part 3: In what ways do you think you strive to find flow in your own life?
Essay Topic 3
The conflict of self and outside events can cause psychic entropy, according to the author.
Part 1: Can you come up with an example of how outside events can cause troubles in the mind?
Part 2: Why do you think the self can't always reconcile events that take place outside of itself?
Part 3: Do you believe the self and outside events need to always be congruent? Why or why not?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)