|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the Midwife exchange a butterfly for?
2. What are Senoritas "always ready for" according to the song?
3. Where does Woman 2 say the women have given birth?
4. Who enters while Don Jose is pacing in Act 1?
5. What does the Midwife talk about in her stomach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scene change after Miss Commonwealth exits?
2. What does the Girl do as the Midwife speaks to the audience in Act 1?
3. Who "catches" the Man, of the Catch Women? What does the Girl do after they exit?
4. What does the Midwife tell Maria la O as she is leaving? Why?
5. What happened to Senorita 3's sister?
6. What does one of the Women say about songs and movies, and how they taught her to be a woman?
7. What does the Guerrillera tell the Martyrs? What does she convince them to do?
8. What does Martyr 2 say about the light in her eyes?
9. Who is the third contestant in the beauty pageant? What does she sing about? What has been her goal?
10. What does Maria la O do in her scene? What does she complain about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting and characters in Beautiful Senoritas. Why is the staging designed as it is? What freedom does this permit the actors? What is the meaning of the lack of character names? What effect does this have? How does it relate to the themes of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of symbolism and motif in the play. Define these terms and give examples of each within the text. What is the primary motif used in Beautiful Senoritas? How are these symbols and motifs used to illuminate the themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the term "Nonlinear Narrative." What does this mean? How does the play embody this style? Why has the playwright chosen this way of presenting the story?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)