|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the Beauty Queen when she entered her first contest?
2. Where does Miss Conchita Banana say you should never put bananas?
3. Who danced at the Radio City Music Hall?
4. Whose full name is Fina de la Garza del Vedado y Miramar?
5. Who does Miss Commonwealth encounter when she is about to exit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Women speak of hearing while they dance in Act 2?
2. What does Miss Commonwealth recall when she runs into the Girl?
3. What happens in the dance scene? How is the Man dressed in this scene?
4. What do the Catch Women say in unison? What do they do after their demonstration on the Man?
5. What does the Midwife tell Maria la O as she is leaving? Why?
6. Who enters with the Priest? What do they do?
7. What does the Man enter and ask the Martyrs about in Act 2? What is their response?
8. What does the Researcher suggest that his wife does? What is his reply?
9. What does the Daughter want to do? What does her mother say?
10. Who is the second contestant in the beauty pageant? Where is she from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of music in the play. How and why is music implemented? What do the characters relate regarding music and their culture? What is the style of the music?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the term "Nonlinear Narrative." What does this mean? How does the play embody this style? Why has the playwright chosen this way of presenting the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which the characters break the fourth wall. What does this phrase mean? What effect does this produce? Why do characters in the play break from the action?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)