|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is one of the magazines the Beauty Queen mentions her mother reading?
2. Who created Miss Conchita Banana?
3. What does Don Jose throw in Act 1?
4. What does Maria la O complain is hurting her?
5. What is Maria la O's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Beautiful Senoritas sing about in their opening song?
2. What does the Man tell the Researcher that his wife does all day?
3. What does Miss Chili Tamale say is her dream? Why?
4. Why does the girl who Miss Commonwealth speaks of always smile?
5. What happens in the dance scene? How is the Man dressed in this scene?
6. What does the Researcher suggest that his wife does? What is his reply?
7. What does Martyr 1 tell the Girl about?
8. What do the Women combine to say about their daughters in the end of Act 2?
9. Who is Miss Commonwealth? What does she sing about? What are her goals?
10. Who is Don Jose? What is he awaiting? What does he want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Pop Culture in Beautiful Senoritas. What forms of Pop Culture are represented in the play? What is their purpose? How do these reflect the themes of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the Girl. What is the journey this character undergoes throughout the play? What are her actions? What influences this character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Complicity" in Beautiful Senoritas. What does this word mean? How are the characters complicit in the play? Why? How do they feel about their roles in society?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)