|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "No one knows me. They see me passing by, but they don't know me. They don't see me"?
2. What does Maria la O do in her scene with the Beauty Queen?
3. What does the MC ask Miss Conchita Banana?
4. Who created Miss Conchita Banana?
5. What does the Beauty Queen want to be discovered and become?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the setting for the play described? How do the scene changes take place?
2. What does the Mother tell her Son she hopes for him? What does he reply?
3. What advice does the Mother/Mama tell the Girl about being a woman?
4. What does the MC say to Miss Commonwealth about boyfriends? What is her reply?
5. What does the Girl do after the Martyrs speak of their woes?
6. What do the Women see in each other at the end of the play? What does the Girl do?
7. Why does the girl who Miss Commonwealth speaks of always smile?
8. What does the Girl conclude about being a woman in the end of the play?
9. Who is Miss Commonwealth? What does she sing about? What are her goals?
10. What does the Father tell the Daughter when she asks to go outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the term "Objectification." How does Beautiful Women exemplify the objectification of women? What scenes in the play present this objectification?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Irony as a literary device in Beautiful Senoritas. What are the three types of irony? What are examples of each within the play? What does this device illuminate in terms of theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Machismo" or "Patriarchy." How does Prida portray this theme through the play? Which characters embody machismo characteristics?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)