|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria la O say she has to be careful not to step on?
2. What is the name of the first song the Senoritas sing in Act 1?
3. How many contests has the Beauty Queen won?
4. What does the Beauty Queen say that she does every day?
5. What is "carried by the winds of emotion," according to the Midwife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catch Woman 1 tell the Girl to get a man?
2. What does the Midwife say about a butterfly? What would she trade a butterfly for?
3. What do the Catch Women say in unison? What do they do after their demonstration on the Man?
4. What does Martyr 1 tell the Girl about?
5. How does Catch Woman 3 use her eyes to attract a man?
6. What does the Nun tell the Girl to do? Why?
7. What will Don Jose do if his wife has a son?
8. What does Maria la O do in her scene? What does she complain about?
9. Who is the third contestant in the beauty pageant? What does she sing about? What has been her goal?
10. What does the MC say to Miss Commonwealth about boyfriends? What is her reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the disparity of gender roles and expectations presented in the play. How are these exemplified in the text? In which scenes? Which characters are representative of these inequalities?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Complicity" in Beautiful Senoritas. What does this word mean? How are the characters complicit in the play? Why? How do they feel about their roles in society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of symbolism and motif in the play. Define these terms and give examples of each within the text. What is the primary motif used in Beautiful Senoritas? How are these symbols and motifs used to illuminate the themes?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)