|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the MC call Miss Commonwealth?
2. Who does the MC say is the dream girl of every American male?
3. What thrusts itself into the eyes of the girl who goes to see the ocean?
4. What is the name of the first song the Senoritas sing in Act 1?
5. What do you need to catch a man, according to Miss Commonwealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Daughter announce to her Mother in Act 2? What does her Mother say to her?
2. How does Catch Woman 3 use her eyes to attract a man?
3. What does Martyr 2 say about the light in her eyes?
4. Who is Don Jose? What is he awaiting? What does he want?
5. What does the Chaperone give to the Senoritas? What do they do after this?
6. What happened to Senorita 3's sister?
7. What do the Beautiful Senoritas sing about in their opening song?
8. What does the Researcher suggest that his wife does? What is his reply?
9. What is "The Wedding Song" about? Who sings it?
10. What does the Chaperone do when the Man asks the Girl to dance? What does she do when he dances too close?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Machismo" or "Patriarchy." How does Prida portray this theme through the play? Which characters embody machismo characteristics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the term "Objectification." How does Beautiful Women exemplify the objectification of women? What scenes in the play present this objectification?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting and characters in Beautiful Senoritas. Why is the staging designed as it is? What freedom does this permit the actors? What is the meaning of the lack of character names? What effect does this have? How does it relate to the themes of the play?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)