|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maria la O go after the Senoritas' song?
2. What does Miss Chili Tamale say her dream is?
3. What does the MC say that Latin women are always ready for?
4. What magazine does the Beauty Queen want to be on the cover of?
5. What does the Midwife say that Don Jose has gone to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Don Jose? What is he awaiting? What does he want?
2. Who "catches" the Man, of the Catch Women? What does the Girl do after they exit?
3. What advice does the Mother/Mama tell the Girl about being a woman?
4. Who is Miss Commonwealth? What does she sing about? What are her goals?
5. How is the setting for the play described? How do the scene changes take place?
6. What does the Girl do after the Martyrs speak of their woes?
7. How does Don Jose react when the Midwife tells him he has a daughter?
8. What does the Mother tell the Martyrs in Act 2?
9. What do the Catch Women say in unison? What do they do after their demonstration on the Man?
10. Who is the third contestant in the beauty pageant? What does she sing about? What has been her goal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "Complicity" in Beautiful Senoritas. What does this word mean? How are the characters complicit in the play? Why? How do they feel about their roles in society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the Girl. What is the journey this character undergoes throughout the play? What are her actions? What influences this character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the stylistic components of Beautiful Senoritas. Define the terms Satire and Farce in your answer and give examples of each in the play. What other stylistic elements have been discussed in the class? How do these apply to the text?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)