|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Miss Commonwealth's name?
2. What do you need to catch a man, according to Miss Commonwealth?
3. Which contestant is from Mexico?
4. What does the Beauty Queen want to be discovered and become?
5. What does the Midwife talk about in her stomach?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Midwife tell Maria la O as she is leaving? Why?
2. What does the Man enter and ask the Martyrs about in Act 2? What is their response?
3. What does the Father tell the Daughter when she asks to go outside?
4. What will Don Jose do if his wife has a son?
5. What does the Daughter want to do? What does her mother say?
6. How does Catch Woman 3 use her eyes to attract a man?
7. What does Martyr 2 say about the light in her eyes?
8. How does Don Jose react when the Midwife tells him he has a daughter?
9. What does the Man tell the Researcher that his wife does all day?
10. What does Maria la O do in her scene? What does she complain about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the Midwife in Beautiful Senoritas. What does her monologue mean in Act 1, and how is this text reflective of Prida's themes in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of the play that relate to Latino culture in particular as a patriarchal society, as opposed to North American culture. What differences in Latino culture make it more difficult for women to achieve equality? How is this presented in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Irony as a literary device in Beautiful Senoritas. What are the three types of irony? What are examples of each within the play? What does this device illuminate in terms of theme?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)