|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who created Miss Conchita Banana?
2. What is the name of the first song the Senoritas sing in Act 1?
3. What is "carried by the winds of emotion," according to the Midwife?
4. What does the Midwife call to Maria to tell her not to forget to do?
5. Who says, "One day I will want to cry"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Chaperone do when the Man asks the Girl to dance? What does she do when he dances too close?
2. What does the Man enter and ask the Martyrs about in Act 2? What is their response?
3. How does Catch Woman 3 use her eyes to attract a man?
4. What does the MC say to Miss Commonwealth about boyfriends? What is her reply?
5. Who enters as the Girl is mimicking the Catch Women? What does she say?
6. What titles has the Beauty Queen held? What is her dream?
7. What does Miss Chili Tamale say is her dream? Why?
8. What happens in the dance scene? How is the Man dressed in this scene?
9. Who is the third contestant in the beauty pageant? What does she sing about? What has been her goal?
10. What does the Daughter announce to her Mother in Act 2? What does her Mother say to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the term "Nonlinear Narrative." What does this mean? How does the play embody this style? Why has the playwright chosen this way of presenting the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the Midwife in Beautiful Senoritas. What does her monologue mean in Act 1, and how is this text reflective of Prida's themes in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which the characters break the fourth wall. What does this phrase mean? What effect does this produce? Why do characters in the play break from the action?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)