|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Girl do during the Midwife's second monologue?
2. What was the Beauty Queen called as a child?
3. Why doesn't Miss Commonwealth have a boyfriend yet?
4. What do the women freeze in the style of after they complete their songs?
5. What does Miss Conchita Banana say her motto is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who enters as the Girl is mimicking the Catch Women? What does she say?
2. What does the MC say to Miss Commonwealth about boyfriends? What is her reply?
3. What does the Chaperone give to the Senoritas? What do they do after this?
4. What does the Man tell the Researcher that his wife does all day?
5. What does the Girl do as the Midwife speaks to the audience in Act 1?
6. What do the Women combine to say about their daughters in the end of Act 2?
7. Who is the second contestant in the beauty pageant? Where is she from?
8. How does the scene change after Miss Commonwealth exits?
9. What do the Senoritas and the Nun do when one of the Senoritas confesses to going "all the way"?
10. What is the trick that Catch Woman 2 tells the Girl as to getting a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of the play that relate to Latino culture in particular as a patriarchal society, as opposed to North American culture. What differences in Latino culture make it more difficult for women to achieve equality? How is this presented in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of music in the play. How and why is music implemented? What do the characters relate regarding music and their culture? What is the style of the music?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Machismo" or "Patriarchy." How does Prida portray this theme through the play? Which characters embody machismo characteristics?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)