|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters while Don Jose is pacing in Act 1?
2. Who is Senorita #2 dressed as?
3. Which contestant has the name Lupe Lupita Guadalupe Viva Zapata y Enchilada?
4. Who arrives as the Midwife speaks to the audience in Act 1?
5. What does the Midwife talk about in her stomach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Don Jose? What is he awaiting? What does he want?
2. How does the scene change after Miss Commonwealth exits?
3. What does the Guerrillera tell the Martyrs? What does she convince them to do?
4. What does Woman 3 do at the beginning of Act 2? What is her song about?
5. What does the Girl conclude about being a woman in the end of the play?
6. What do the Women see in each other at the end of the play? What does the Girl do?
7. Who is the second contestant in the beauty pageant? Where is she from?
8. Who "catches" the Man, of the Catch Women? What does the Girl do after they exit?
9. What does the MC say about Latin women?
10. What does the Girl do after the Martyrs speak of their woes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Pop Culture in Beautiful Senoritas. What forms of Pop Culture are represented in the play? What is their purpose? How do these reflect the themes of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of the play that relate to Latino culture in particular as a patriarchal society, as opposed to North American culture. What differences in Latino culture make it more difficult for women to achieve equality? How is this presented in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of the Girl. What is the journey this character undergoes throughout the play? What are her actions? What influences this character?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)