|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Don Jose told he has gained in Act 1?
2. What is "carried by the winds of emotion," according to the Midwife?
3. Which is one of the magazines the Beauty Queen mentions her mother reading?
4. What does Miss Chili Tamale say her dream is?
5. What does the Girl do during the Midwife's second monologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Nun tell the Girl to do? Why?
2. What does the Girl do as the Midwife speaks to the audience in Act 1?
3. How does the scene change after Miss Commonwealth exits?
4. How does Don Jose react when the Midwife tells him he has a daughter?
5. What does the Chaperone do when the Man asks the Girl to dance? What does she do when he dances too close?
6. How does Catch Woman 1 tell the Girl to get a man?
7. What story does Senorita 2 tell about the Man?
8. What advice does the Mother/Mama tell the Girl about being a woman?
9. What do the Women see in each other at the end of the play? What does the Girl do?
10. What does the Father tell the Daughter when she asks to go outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the term "Nonlinear Narrative." What does this mean? How does the play embody this style? Why has the playwright chosen this way of presenting the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the stylistic components of Beautiful Senoritas. Define the terms Satire and Farce in your answer and give examples of each in the play. What other stylistic elements have been discussed in the class? How do these apply to the text?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which the characters break the fourth wall. What does this phrase mean? What effect does this produce? Why do characters in the play break from the action?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)