|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives as the Midwife speaks to the audience in Act 1?
2. What event is the male character awaiting in Act 1?
3. What does Maria la O complain is hurting her?
4. Where does Woman 2 say the women have given birth?
5. How does Woman 2 say her mother and grandmother walked the land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Women see in each other at the end of the play? What does the Girl do?
2. What do the Catch Women say in unison? What do they do after their demonstration on the Man?
3. What does the Midwife say about a butterfly? What would she trade a butterfly for?
4. Which Catch Woman speaks about jealousy? What does she suggest?
5. What is the trick that Catch Woman 2 tells the Girl as to getting a man?
6. What does the Man enter and ask the Martyrs about in Act 2? What is their response?
7. What does the Mother tell the Martyrs in Act 2?
8. What does the Girl do after the Martyrs speak of their woes?
9. What do the Women speak of hearing while they dance in Act 2?
10. What do the Beautiful Senoritas sing about in their opening song?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of the Girl. What is the journey this character undergoes throughout the play? What are her actions? What influences this character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Pop Culture in Beautiful Senoritas. What forms of Pop Culture are represented in the play? What is their purpose? How do these reflect the themes of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tragic and comic elements of Beautiful Senoritas. Which characters embody tragedy and which reflect the comedy? How is Prida's use of comedy useful to expressing the messages in the play?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)