|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the titles the Beauty Queen has won?
2. What is "carried by the winds of emotion," according to the Midwife?
3. What does Miss Commonwealth sing of?
4. What does Miss Chili Tamale say she needs?
5. Where does Maria la O go after the Senoritas' song?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the girl who Miss Commonwealth speaks of always smile?
2. How does Don Jose react when the Midwife tells him he has a daughter?
3. What do the Catch Women say in unison? What do they do after their demonstration on the Man?
4. What do the Women see in each other at the end of the play? What does the Girl do?
5. What does Woman 3 do at the beginning of Act 2? What is her song about?
6. Who enters as the Girl is mimicking the Catch Women? What does she say?
7. What does the Man tell the Researcher that his wife does all day?
8. What is the trick that Catch Woman 2 tells the Girl as to getting a man?
9. What does Miss Commonwealth recall when she runs into the Girl?
10. Who "catches" the Man, of the Catch Women? What does the Girl do after they exit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of the play that relate to Latino culture in particular as a patriarchal society, as opposed to North American culture. What differences in Latino culture make it more difficult for women to achieve equality? How is this presented in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the disparity of gender roles and expectations presented in the play. How are these exemplified in the text? In which scenes? Which characters are representative of these inequalities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the stylistic components of Beautiful Senoritas. Define the terms Satire and Farce in your answer and give examples of each in the play. What other stylistic elements have been discussed in the class? How do these apply to the text?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)