|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had happened by 235 CE?
2. Whose preaching resulted in the belief that the newly emerging religion could and should be embraced by the Gentiles?
3. What is the belief stated in this doctrine?
4. Why are theories and philosophies not designed to convince unbelievers?
5. To rationalize the shock of his death by crucifixion, his followers subscribed to the belief that ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the idea of a personal God developed by all three of the monotheistic religions? What are its dangers?
2. What does Armstrong say about scientific discoveries, old religious dogmas, and atheism?
3. What is the Jewish development similar to the "Great Awakening?"
4. What happened at Medina?
5. What does Armstrong say about what the technical and industrial revolution, occurring in the West, had on the beliefs of the three monotheistic religions?
6. Describe the life of Muhammad prior to his epiphany.
7. What are the differences regarding mysticism in the Christian church?
8. What does Armstrong say about Islam after Muhammad's death?
9. Why did many European scholars flock to Spain during the twelfth century?
10. What did Galileo discover? What was the result of Galileo's discoveries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Armstrong describes the practices of early Christians.
Part 1) What does she say about their early practices? What proof of this does she give?
Part 2) Why might the early Christians practice their faith in this way?
Part 3) How did St. Paul change early Christianity? What are the consequences of this? Why did some Christians not follow Paul? What might this say about Paul and Christianity as we know it?
Essay Topic 2
Muhammad is Islam's prophet.
Part 1) How did he become a prophet? Did his early life foreshadow this sacred role? Is so, how? If not, why not?
Part 2) To what did Muhammad's epiphany lead? How did this change Islam? How does it influence Islam today?
Part 3) What is the connection between Islam, Judaism, and Christianity? Is this seen in today's society? Why or why not? What might Muhammad feel about this? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Various movements and sects emerged during the first two centuries of Christianity.
Part 1) What are these various movements and sects? How did they come to be? What happened to these sects over time? Why did this occur?
Part 2) Why were educated non-Christians drawn to the religion? What does this say about the early Christians and the culture at the time?
Part 3) Are many non-Christians drawn to the church today? If so, why? If not, why not?
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)