|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A consequence of God being presumed to exist as a separate external entity is that he assumes the attributes of _______________.
(a) A god.
(b) A human being.
(d) A king.
2. Christianity was a religion of __________.
(a) Slaves and lower caste people.
(c) The wealthy.
3. Who is a distinguished Muslim philosopher in Cordova, Spain who had an enormous influence on both Jews and Christians and specifically on theologians such as Thomas Aquinas and Albert the Great?
(a) Abu Hassan Husein.
(b) Abu Allah Hasid.
(c) Abu Ali ibn Sina.
(d) Abu Walid ibn Ahmad ibn Rushd.
4. How is the Kabah regarded?
(a) As the most important prayer in Arabia.
(b) As the most important religious book in Arabia.
(c) As the most important shrine in Arabia.
(d) As the most important temple in Arabia.
5. What was a consequence of the doctrine of Incarnation?
(a) It removed the danger of idolatry.
(b) It did not affect the danger of idolatry.
(c) It added to the danger of idolatry.
(d) It diminished the danger of idolatry.
Short Answer Questions
1. The early followers of Jesus prayed _____________.
2. The application of their method to the Koran was also influenced by ____________ teachings.
3. What is the belief stated in this doctrine?
4. Whose preaching resulted in the belief that the newly emerging religion could and should be embraced by the Gentiles?
5. Prior to Augustine's conversion to Christianity, he had repulsed any idea of __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Jewish development similar to the "Great Awakening?"
2. What approach to religion does Armstrong advocate?
3. Describe Bernard, the abbot of the Cistercian Abby of Clarivaux in Burgundy.
4. How did Western secularism and the rising dominance of industrialized European countries have an effect on the Muslim religion?
5. What does Armstrong say about the development of the philosophic theories in the Arab culture during the ninth century?
6. What happens to Sufism during the twelfth and thirteenth centuries?
7. What does Armstrong say about the Sufis and Abu Walid ibn Ahmad ibn Rushd?
8. How was tolerance of other religions was not evident in Christian Spain?
9. What did Galileo discover? What was the result of Galileo's discoveries?
10. Describe the weakening of Islam during the fifteenth century, as well as a resurgence of conservatism.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)