|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the belief in question?
(a) Whether creation took seven days.
(b) Whether man needed God.
(c) Whether or not Jesus was a human person or part of the godhead.
(d) Whether God existed.
2. Bernard's influence outshone that of ____________.
(a) Pope Eugene II and King Louis VII of France.
(b) Other priests.
(c) The bourgeoisie.
(d) The Jews and Muslims.
3. What does the Koran mean?
(a) The Recital.
(b) The Prayer.
(c) The Song.
(d) The Word.
4. Prior to Augustine's conversion to Christianity, he had repulsed any idea of __________.
5. What tribe was Muhammad a member of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the belief stated in this doctrine?
2. Christianity became the state religion of ___________.
3. What is the Kabah?
4. Even by that time the historical facts were being overlaid with mythical elements, which did ___________.
5. During the twelfth century, European scholars had flocked to Spain to study ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did many European scholars flock to Spain during the twelfth century?
2. How did many Jews respond to the Neoplatonic doctrine?
3. Describe Bernard, the abbot of the Cistercian Abby of Clarivaux in Burgundy.
4. How did Western secularism and the rising dominance of industrialized European countries have an effect on the Muslim religion?
5. What does Armstrong say about the Sufis and Abu Walid ibn Ahmad ibn Rushd?
6. What ideas were being developed by Jews in Europe at this time?
7. What did Galileo discover? What was the result of Galileo's discoveries?
8. What does Armstrong say about what the technical and industrial revolution, occurring in the West, had on the beliefs of the three monotheistic religions?
9. Who questions the existence and relevance of God in the nineteenth century? How do these people question God's existence or relevance?
10. What is the Jewish development similar to the "Great Awakening?"
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)