|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened almost immediately to the newly established Christian Church in the Roman Empire?
(a) It spread.
(b) It unified.
(c) It was split by a fierce controversy.
(d) It ended.
2. What had happened by 235 CE?
(a) The power of the Christian church had ended.
(b) The Christian church had become one of the most important religions in the Roman Empire and a bastion of stability.
(c) The Christian church had spread to the Americas.
(d) The Christian church had been banned from the Roman Empire.
3. A similar intellectual movement developed among the Jews in the Islamic empire who did not accept the doctrine of ____________.
(a) The Neopolitan.
(b) The Metropolitan.
(c) The Neoplatonic.
(d) The Neoclassical.
4. There was now an emergence of Muslim studies in the fields of ____________.
(a) Music, art, and literature.
(b) Astrology, alchemy, and art.
(c) Astronomy, alchemy, medicine, and mathematics.
(d) Art, science, and technology.
5. How is the Kabah regarded?
(a) As the most important shrine in Arabia.
(b) As the most important religious book in Arabia.
(c) As the most important temple in Arabia.
(d) As the most important prayer in Arabia.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this chapter Karen Armstrong deals with the dramatic rise of a charismatic faith healer in North Palestine. Who is this man?
2. When was this account written?
3. The Jews tried to modify this theory ____________.
4. Does the expression "Son of God" bear the same connotation in Hebrew as it does in Greek?
5. What does the Koran mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to a rift with the Quraysh? To what did this rift lead?
2. How was tolerance of other religions was not evident in Christian Spain?
3. Describe the weakening of Islam during the fifteenth century, as well as a resurgence of conservatism.
4. What are the differences regarding mysticism in the Christian church?
5. How did Western secularism and the rising dominance of industrialized European countries have an effect on the Muslim religion?
6. Describe the life of Muhammad prior to his epiphany.
7. What strong religious movements does Armstrong see growing in strength today? What does she think about this?
8. What are the results of the Italian Renaissance and the beginning of the scientific discoveries?
9. What ideas were being developed by Jews in Europe at this time?
10. What does Armstrong say about the Sufis and Abu Walid ibn Ahmad ibn Rushd?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)