|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Abstracts.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kabbalists used _______________ between the essence of God and the God who is revealed by the reality of creation.
(a) The Vedic and Neoplatonic distinction.
(b) The Vedic and Neopolitan distinction.
(c) The Gnostic and Neoplatonic distinction.
(d) The Gnostic and Neoclassical distinction.
2. What did this mystical tradition describe?
(a) A journey to the Throne of God through the mythical realm of heaven.
(b) A journey to the Throne of God through the mythical realm of five heavens.
(c) A journey to the Throne of God through the mythical realm of ten heavens.
(d) A journey to the Throne of God through the mythical realm of seven heavens.
3. Thomas Aquinas made a lasting contribution to Western Christianity by trying to synthesize ____________.
(a) Augustine and Greek philosophy.
(b) Greek and Buddhist philosophy.
(c) Augustine and Muslim philosophy.
(d) Muslim and Greek philosophy.
4. Western secularism and the rising dominance of industrialized European countries had a profound effect on ____________.
(a) The Muslim religion.
(b) The environment.
5. What is the phenomenon which emerged contemporaneously with the rationalization of the Enlightenment?
(a) The "religion of the soul."
(b) The "religion of the people."
(c) The "religion of the mind."
(d) The "religion of the heart."
Short Answer Questions
1. The development of conflicting philosophies of the nature and existence of God took place against the backdrop of ____________.
2. Paradoxically, Armstrong identifies strong movements in all three religions to ____________.
3. What did Nietzsche teach about the Christian God?
4. What question is asked but not answered at the end of this book?
5. Now Europe split into two warring armies. Who were these warring groups?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)