|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Enlightenment.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Was tolerance of other religions was evident in Christian Spain?
2. In this chapter Karen Armstrong outlines the developments in the nineteenth century which led to ____________.
(a) A renewed acceptance of God.
(b) Questioning of the existence and relevance of God.
(c) Questioning of God's role on earth.
(d) Questioning of God's purpose for mankind.
3. Who was a Dutch Jew who had become discontented with the ideas in the Torah and joined a group of Gentile freethinkers, which led to his expulsion from the synagogue of Amsterdam?
(a) Immanuel Kant.
(b) Moses Mendolssohn.
(c) Max Bruch.
(d) Baruch Spinoza.
4. When John Wesley sailed to the New World colony of Georgia in 1735, he was greatly impressed by ____________.
(a) Franciscan missionaries.
(b) Missionaries from a Moravian sect.
(c) Buddhist monks.
(d) Mormon missionaries.
5. What does the Koran mean?
(a) The Song.
(b) The Word.
(c) The Prayer.
(d) The Recital.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the synod, confusion still reigned in the Christian church with a competing philosophy developing at ________.
2. Was the idea of a personal God developed by all three of the monotheistic religions?
3. In this chapter Karen Armstrong deals with the dramatic rise of a charismatic faith healer in North Palestine. Who is this man?
4. When was this account written?
5. In 1626, a wealthy Sephardic Jew in Symrna, called Shabbetai Zevi, started a movement in which he declared ____________.
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)