|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the late 1800s, why would a cop be encouraged to beat up a perpetrator?
(a) They were awarded for violence.
(b) To have something to show in court.
(c) Self defense.
(d) Violence was the only control they had.
2. In what form did opium become widespread?
(a) Leaves for smoking.
(b) Cough syrup.
3. What was the biggest problem with the police in the post Civil War era?
(a) They had no weapons.
(b) The crime rate was too overwhelming.
(c) They did not protect the public.
4. What was one effective way to fight disease carried by ships into New York Harbor?
(a) They sent the ship back to its point of origin.
(b) Medicine was given immediately.
(c) Doctors were sent on board before the people disembarked.
(d) Officials quarantined the entire ship.
5. According to Bettmann in "Crime," who was treated the worst in the prison system?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were doctors on the frontier in the late 1800s thought to have been?
2. What was "swill" milk?
3. Who ran the hospitals of the late 1800s?
4. What did the police often do with offending boys in the late 1800s?
5. What was "bogus butter"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Bettmann in "Travel," how were the below-deck boilers a danger to ferry travelers?
2. What one food was the frontier diet staple?
3. What was the extent of the prostitution industry in New York City in the late 19th century?
4. Why didn't people turn to vegetables given the state of the meat industry?
5. In the late 1800s, why were the police not much help in the fight against crime?
6. Why were the some ocean liners nicknamed "fever ships" and "floating coffins"?
7. What were the ventilation problems associated with train travel in the late 19th century?
8. How did teachers fight the lack of discipline in the schoolroom in the late 1800s?
9. How was milk treated for consumers when it has been contaminated or spoiled?
10. How did alcohol affect families on the frontier?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)