|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Education.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the late 19th century on the frontier, what was a child's formal education considered to be?
(a) Of the highest priority.
(b) Totally unnecessary.
(c) Secondary to the needs of the family farm.
(d) Not needed after the age of eight.
2. What was a popular type of big city housing during the late 1800s?
(a) The suburbs.
(b) The brownstone.
(c) High-rise apartments.
3. What major problem did window screening help with in the late 1800s?
(a) Light control.
4. What did Bettmann cite as the main reason for the traffic problems in the cities in the late 1800s?
(a) Too many one-way streets.
(b) Prevalence of the horse and cart.
(c) Unsynchronized traffic lights.
(d) Unpaved roads.
5. The "protection" and "non-harassment" fees of the police in the late 19th century were a precursor to what later crime force?
(a) Street thugs.
(d) Drug lords.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were on-the-job accidents dealt with in the late 1800s?
2. What was the main cause of lung irritation, vomiting and sickness for people in the large cities in the early 19th century?
3. What prognosis did alcoholism usually carry in the late 19th century?
4. In the time after the Civil War, humans generated an amazing amount of:
5. Why did tenants in the late 1800s have such big problems when it came to housing in the big cities?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)