|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9, Education.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of work did the young rural girls often find in the cities in the late 1800s?
(a) No work was to be found.
(b) Servant help.
(c) In the sweatshops.
(d) Selling door to door.
2. What was Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall?
(a) A corrupt political crime ring.
(b) An infamous night club known for illegal trafficking.
(c) A country-western song.
(d) Two famous New York cops.
3. To some, the time between the end of the Civil War and the early 1900s was known as what?
(a) "Post War Era."
(b) "The Good Old Days."
(c) "Hard luck times."
(d) "The Wild West Era."
4. After the Civil War, how did the isolation of the endless prairie affect many homesteaders?
(a) It led to several trips a year to the cities.
(b) It caused people to have large families.
(c) It caused people to live in groups.
(d) It led to depression.
5. How many labor laws were there during the 19th century?
(a) A few.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the gun laws after the Civil War compound the problem?
2. According to Bettmann in "Education," children from different villages in the same classroom invariably led to what?
3. In the late 1800s, what disease affected the city dwellers as well as the frontier people?
4. According to Bettmann in "Education," what was the pitiful education for blacks due to?
5. Traffic in the large American cities in the late 1800s was:
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)