|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Housing.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bettmann in the chapter "Air," what did some people think air pollution was a good sign of?
(b) Wind currents.
2. Before cars, what was the main source of transportation in the late 1800s?
3. What did Bettmann cite as the main reason for the traffic problems in the cities in the late 1800s?
(a) Too many one-way streets.
(b) Unsynchronized traffic lights.
(c) Prevalence of the horse and cart.
(d) Unpaved roads.
4. What was a popular type of big city housing during the late 1800s?
(a) The brownstone.
(b) The suburbs.
(c) High-rise apartments.
5. What was the biggest safety threat in the vertical apartments in the late 1800s?
(b) Lead poisoning.
(c) Unsafe water.
Short Answer Questions
1. To some, the time between the end of the Civil War and the early 1900s was known as what?
2. What does Bettmann say street car riders in the late 1800s were encouraged to bring along on their ride?
3. What was one initial problem with the electric trolley car?
4. According to Bettmann in "Air," many people were cramped together in windowless rooms in the tenements during the summer, causing:
5. The air quality in homes was dangerous in the late 1800s because of:
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)