|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Hobsbawm say that religion was still useful?
2. What did the land have to be turned into before it could be developed economically, in Hobsbawm's opinion?
3. What was increasing at the same time that the railroads were expanding in the 1830s?
4. How were Charles Dickens' novels connected to the politics of Dickens' time, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. How were the working classes influenced by religion after the French Revolution?
Essay Topic 1
Make a brief time line of the changes that were taking place in America from 1789 to 1848. How was the shape of the nation changing? How were the politics changing, and the arts and technology?
Essay Topic 2
Not everyone was thrilled by the development of a new middle class, a new middle class ideology, and a Romantic or liberal perspective on history, culture, and the arts. Describe the opposition to progress, Romanticism, liberalism, and Communism. Who were the groups, classes or individuals who resisted the revolutions that changed the world in the 19th century?
Essay Topic 3
What are the major developments that have shaped the hundred and sixty or so years since 1848? Choose one and describe, in much the way Hobsbawm does, the factors that led to the development, as well as its primary consequences.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)