|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what respect does Hobsbawm say that Britain was well-situated as industrialism expanded?
2. When, in Hobsbawm's opinion, did the rate of change begin to increase quickly?
3. What was the political ideology behind the organizers' promises to the working poor?
4. What was the one nation Hobsbawm says could have been considered industrialized in 1848?
5. What did France produce as other countries' economies changed?
Essay Topic 1
Was the secularization of European culture a benefit or a disadvantage of industrialization? Or, was it simply a transition, as people found their religion in other places? What functions had religion served that were now served by other, secular developments?
Essay Topic 2
How was Napoleon the ruler and leader of France, different from Napoleon the man? What movements did Napoleon, the man, ride at the forefront of? Did he shape his mythical identity consciously, or did the people of France and Europe create his mythical role themselves?
Essay Topic 3
What are the major developments that have shaped the hundred and sixty or so years since 1848? Choose one and describe, in much the way Hobsbawm does, the factors that led to the development, as well as its primary consequences.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)