|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author did NOT rise to prominence during the Age of Revolution?
2. How did the people in political power react to middle class ideology, in Hobsbawm's account?
3. Which religions gained adherents after the French Revolution?
4. In what way, in Hobsbawm's account, did the nobility use religion?
5. In Hobsbawm's account, what did the peasantry lose by land reforms sweeping the globe in the mid-1800s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hobsbawm says that nationalism was a new phenomenon after 1830, and that it was tied to the rise of a middle class. Explain the relationship between nationalism and the rising middle class. How did the middle class use nationalism to define itself and its desires? What problems or pressures did nationalism answer or resolve for the middle class?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Communism in the economy and Romanticism in the arts as two responses to industrialization. How are they related? How are they different manifestations of reactions against the same cultural environment?
Essay Topic 3
How had the past changed as a result of the French Revolution and the Industrial Revolution? How did the sciences, technologies and philosophies that were developed during the Age of Revolution change how people looked at their own origins and the origin of the human race?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)