|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tool did the upper classes use to discriminate against the working poor?
2. How did many countries impose this transformation of land use on the people?
3. What was the consequence of British land reforms in India?
4. Why were the working poor treated with contempt as a new social structure evolved in Europe?
5. Why, according to Hobsbawm, did land reform take place in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobsbawm describe the class tensions surrounding the new middle class?
2. How does Hobsbawm say religion was changing after the French Revolution?
3. What does Hobsbawm say were the three paths a working class person could choose in 1848?
4. What had to happen to land use practices, in Hobsbawm's account, for capitalism to take hold in Europe?
5. What role did religion serve, even as Europe was becoming more secular?
6. Who does Hobsbawm say was most receptive to Romanticism, and why?
7. What does Hobsbawm say was growing along with and as a result of Protestantism?
8. What does Hobsbawm say labor organizers were promising workers, as the gap between rich and poor grew?
9. What does Hobsbawm say was increasing around 1848?
10. How did those in power react to the spread of middle class ideology, in Hobsbawm's account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the secularization of European culture a benefit or a disadvantage of industrialization? Was it simply a transition, as people found their religion in other places? What functions had religion served that were now served by other, secular developments?
Essay Topic 2
How important was nationalism in the revolutions Hobsbawm describes? Was it a cause or an effect of the revolutions? If it was a cause, what were its effects? If it was an effect, what caused it?
Essay Topic 3
Make an annotated time line with the important trends and events that marked the development of Europe in the Age of Revolution. Make a map that shows these trends and events as well.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)