|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hobsbawm say typified the third kind of thinking that arose in the early 1800s?
2. What did the land have to be turned into before it could be developed economically, in Hobsbawm's opinion?
3. What was the consequence of French land reforms in North Africa, in Hobsbawm's account?
4. Which religion was expanding from Turkey through Africa and to the east?
5. How did the people in political power react to middle class ideology, in Hobsbawm's account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a detailed review of "The Age of Revolution". What are the book's main themes and preoccupations? What are its methods? How does it achieve its intentions? Where does it fail to?
Essay Topic 2
How had the past changed as a result of the French Revolution and the Industrial Revolution? How did the sciences, technologies and philosophies that were developed during the Age of Revolution change how people looked at their own origins and the origin of the human race?
Essay Topic 3
What was the role of the Jews in the Industrial Revolution and French Revolution? How did they participate in the transformation of European society? How did they benefit by it? How was their experience different than other groups' experiences?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)