|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What began to emerge as production and industry grew in the early 1800s?
2. What was the consequence of British land reforms in India?
3. Which religions gained adherents after the French Revolution?
4. When, in Hobsbawm's opinion, did the rate of change begin to increase quickly?
5. What was the one nation Hobsbawm says could have been considered industrialized in 1848?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Communism in the economy and Romanticism in the arts as two responses to industrialization. How are they related? How are they different manifestations of reactions against the same cultural environment?
Essay Topic 2
Was the secularization of European culture a benefit or a disadvantage of industrialization? Or, was it simply a transition, as people found their religion in other places? What functions had religion served that were now served by other, secular developments?
Essay Topic 3
Revolutions took place for years after the French Revolution, some successful, some not. How would you characterize the legacy of the French Revolution in these other revolutions? Were these revolutions independent occurrences? Were they inspired by or in any way caused by the French Revolution? Or, were they merely reactions against the same cultural developments that had happened in France?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)