|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author did NOT rise to prominence during the Age of Revolution?
2. What began to emerge as production and industry grew in the early 1800s?
3. What did Hobsbawm find in conservative thinking of the period?
4. What possibility did this social structure open to French society?
5. What fell away as industrialism developed in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was France's economy left behind, in Hobsbawm's account?
2. What are the three sources Hobsbawm refers to when he says that artists made the effects of industrialization a common theme?
3. What examples does Hobsbawm cite to demonstrate his point that the arts were responsive to the socioeconomic conditions in Europe in the mid-1800s?
4. What role did religion serve, even as Europe was becoming more secular?
5. Who does Hobsbawm say was most receptive to Romanticism, and why?
6. How does Hobsbawm say France in particular created opportunities for a new middle class?
7. Why, in Hobsbawm's account, was Britain the only industrialized nation in 1848?
8. How does Hobsbawm describe the working class' living conditions?
9. Which religions were expanding as the Catholic Church's importance was declining?
10. How does Hobsbawm say religion was changing after the French Revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the main characters in Hobsbawm's "The Age of Revolution"? Is it the nations themselves, or the political parties, or industries characters? Does Hobsbawm describe them as individual characters? Cite a few instances of how Hobsbawm relates individuals to parties, and individual experience to historical developments.
Essay Topic 2
What was the role of the Jews in the Industrial Revolution and French Revolution? How did they participate in the transformation of European society? How did they benefit by it? How was their experience different than other groups' experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Hobsbawm says that nationalism was a new phenomenon after 1830, and that it was tied to the rise of a middle class. Explain the relationship between nationalism and the rising middle class. How did the middle class use nationalism to define itself and its desires? What problems or pressures did nationalism answer or resolve for the middle class?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)