|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which religions gained adherents after the French Revolution?
2. According to Hobsbawm, what characterized conditions in the neighborhoods of the working poor?
3. In what way does Hobsbawm say that the sympathies of those in power were split in the early 1800s?
4. What change does Hobsbawm say took place in the neighborhoods of the working poor?
5. In what way does Hobsbawm say that religion was still useful?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the working poor act out politically, when they did act out, in Hobsbawm's account?
2. What does Hobsbawm say was growing along with and as a result of Protestantism?
3. What happened in France while the rest of Europe was industrializing?
4. Why were Jews and Protestants in particular successful and socially mobile, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. What had to happen to land use practices, in Hobsbawm's account, for capitalism to take hold in Europe?
6. What does Hobsbawm say labor organizers were promising workers, as the gap between rich and poor grew?
7. What role did religion serve, even as Europe was becoming more secular?
8. How does Hobsbawm describe the working class' living conditions?
9. How does Hobsbawm describe France's effect on land reform?
10. Why, in Hobsbawm's account, was Britain the only industrialized nation in 1848?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways were the French Revolution and Industrial Revolution 'revolutions' in the technical sense (i.e. turnings back toward some previous state) and in what ways were they revolutionary (i.e. unprecedented, original events)?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the main characters in Hobsbawm's "The Age of Revolution"? Is it the nations themselves, or the political parties, or industries characters? Does Hobsbawm describe them as individual characters? Cite a few instances of how Hobsbawm relates individuals to parties, and individual experience to historical developments.
Essay Topic 3
Was the secularization of European culture a benefit or a disadvantage of industrialization? Was it simply a transition, as people found their religion in other places? What functions had religion served that were now served by other, secular developments?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)