|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did places that had not been conquered by France reform their land use, in Hobsbawm's opinion?
2. What was increasing at the same time that the railroads were expanding in the 1830s?
3. What distinguished the new class of workers that emerged in the Age of Revolution?
4. In Hobsbawm's account, what did the peasantry gain by land reforms sweeping the globe in the mid-1800s?
5. What did France produce as other countries' economies changed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, in Hobsbawm's account, was Britain the only industrialized nation in 1848?
2. What had to happen to land use practices, in Hobsbawm's account, for capitalism to take hold in Europe?
3. What examples does Hobsbawm cite to demonstrate his point that the arts were responsive to the socioeconomic conditions in Europe in the mid-1800s?
4. How does Hobsbawm describe France's effect on land reform?
5. What does Hobsbawm say labor organizers were promising workers, as the gap between rich and poor grew?
6. How does Hobsbawm describe the working class' living conditions?
7. Why were Jews and Protestants in particular successful and socially mobile, in Hobsbawm's account?
8. How does Hobsbawm define middle class ideology?
9. How did the working poor act out politically, when they did act out, in Hobsbawm's account?
10. What happened in France while the rest of Europe was industrializing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How had the past changed as a result of the French Revolution and the Industrial Revolution? How did the sciences, technologies and philosophies that were developed during the Age of Revolution change how people looked at their own origins and the origin of the human race?
Essay Topic 2
Was the secularization of European culture a benefit or a disadvantage of industrialization? Was it simply a transition, as people found their religion in other places? What functions had religion served that were now served by other, secular developments?
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed review of "The Age of Revolution". What are the book's main themes and preoccupations? What are its methods? How does it achieve its intentions? Where does it fail to?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)