|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How religious does Hobsbawm say the working classes were, by modern standards?
2. How were the working classes influenced by religion after the French Revolution?
3. What social structure attended the profession that emerged in France as a result of Napoleon?
4. What were the three paths for a member of the working poor during the mid-1800s?
5. Which class was Romanticism popular among, in Hobsbawm's account?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Communism in the economy and Romanticism in the arts as two responses to industrialization. How are they related? How are they different manifestations of reactions against the same cultural environment?
Essay Topic 2
Hobsbawm says that nationalism was a new phenomenon after 1830, and that it was tied to the rise of a middle class. Explain the relationship between nationalism and the rising middle class. How did the middle class use nationalism to define itself and its desires? What problems or pressures did nationalism answer or resolve for the middle class?
Essay Topic 3
What are the major developments that have shaped the hundred and sixty or so years since 1848? Choose one and describe, in much the way Hobsbawm does, the factors that led to the development, as well as its primary consequences.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)