Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Hobsbawm say that religion was still useful?
2. What did the land have to be turned into before it could be developed economically, in Hobsbawm's opinion?
3. What was increasing at the same time that the railroads were expanding in the 1830s?
4. How were Charles Dickens' novels connected to the politics of Dickens' time, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. How were the working classes influenced by religion after the French Revolution?
Essay Topic 1
How important was nationalism in the revolutions Hobsbawm describes? Was it a cause or an effect of the revolutions? If it was a cause, what were its effects? If it was an effect, what caused it?
Essay Topic 2
Hobsbawm describes the importance of nationalism in the development of a middle class that had developed its own characteristic ideology, which was marked by a faith in a universe that progressed either toward spiritual fulfillment (Hegel) or communism (Marx). Both of these conclusions were for the mass, though, and it would not be until Freud that people could see the difficulties of being individuals within a mass or nation.
Write an essay that addresses the importance of nationalism in your life. In what ways are you a national creature? Does your nationalism interfere with or obscure your individuality?
Essay Topic 3
Was the secularization of European culture a benefit or a disadvantage of industrialization? Or, was it simply a transition, as people found their religion in other places? What functions had religion served that were now served by other, secular developments?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)