|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was increasing at the same time that the railroads were expanding in the 1830s?
2. How was Beethoven's Eroica connected to the politics of Beethoven's time, in Hobsbawm's account?
3. What began to develop as industrialism developed in Europe?
4. What was changing in the role religion played in people's lives, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. How does Hobsbawm say conditions for the working poor changed in the mid-1800s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say were the three paths a working class person could choose in 1848?
2. What does Hobsbawm say was growing along with and as a result of Protestantism?
3. Why, in Hobsbawm's account, was Britain the only industrialized nation in 1848?
4. What works marked the beginning and the peak, respectively, of middle class ideology, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. What happened in France while the rest of Europe was industrializing?
6. Why were Jews and Protestants in particular successful and socially mobile, in Hobsbawm's account?
7. What role did religion serve, even as Europe was becoming more secular?
8. How, in Hobsbawm's account, did European land reforms fare in other places?
9. What opportunities were open because of the Industrial Revolution that were not open before, in Hobsbawm's account?
10. What does Hobsbawm say was increasing around 1848?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was the secularization of European culture a benefit or a disadvantage of industrialization? Was it simply a transition, as people found their religion in other places? What functions had religion served that were now served by other, secular developments?
Essay Topic 2
What are Hobsbawm's historiographical priorities? What historiographical methods characterize his work? What themes is he interested in? How does he explore them? Compare this work (or contrast it) with other works of history you have read.
Essay Topic 3
Revolutions took place for years after the French Revolution, some successful, some not. How would you characterize the legacy of the French Revolution in these other revolutions? Were these revolutions independent occurrences? Were they inspired by or in any way caused by the French Revolution? Or, were they merely reactions against the same cultural developments that had happened in France?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)