Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Hobsbawm say that religion was still useful?
2. What did the land have to be turned into before it could be developed economically, in Hobsbawm's opinion?
3. What was increasing at the same time that the railroads were expanding in the 1830s?
4. How were Charles Dickens' novels connected to the politics of Dickens' time, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. How were the working classes influenced by religion after the French Revolution?
Essay Topic 1
Considering the changes that were happening at the time in the early- to mid-1800s, it's no surprise that people were anxious about the future; but Marx saw Communism as the goal and perfection of human society. How had the times created this view in Marx and in European culture? What movements does Hobsbawm discuss which contributed to the development of Communism as an alternative to the capitalist exploitation of the Earth and the workers?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways were the French Revolution and Industrial Revolution 'revolutions' in the technical sense (i.e. turnings back toward some previous state) and in what ways were they revolutionary (i.e. unprecedented, original events)?
Essay Topic 3
Not everyone was thrilled by the development of a new middle class, a new middle class ideology, and a Romantic or liberal perspective on history, culture, and the arts. Describe the opposition to progress, Romanticism, liberalism, and Communism. Who were the groups, classes or individuals who resisted the revolutions that changed the world in the 19th century?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)