|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hobsbawm's account, what happened in France as industrialism expanded in neighboring countries?
2. Which author did NOT rise to prominence during the Age of Revolution?
3. Which form of rebellion did the working poor NOT engage in?
4. What stage was the political theory in when the organizers were making promises to the workers in the mid-1800s?
5. How does Hobsbawm describe the traditional system of agriculture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say labor organizers were promising workers, as the gap between rich and poor grew?
2. Why, in Hobsbawm's account, was Britain the only industrialized nation in 1848?
3. Why were Jews and Protestants in particular successful and socially mobile, in Hobsbawm's account?
4. How does Hobsbawm say France in particular created opportunities for a new middle class?
5. How does Hobsbawm say religion was changing after the French Revolution?
6. Which artist does Hobsbawm cite as examples of the high standards reached in the arts in the mid-1800s?
7. Who does Hobsbawm say was most receptive to Romanticism, and why?
8. How does Hobsbawm describe the class tensions surrounding the new middle class?
9. What role did religion serve, even as Europe was becoming more secular?
10. What had to happen to land use practices, in Hobsbawm's account, for capitalism to take hold in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways were the French Revolution and Industrial Revolution 'revolutions' in the technical sense (i.e. turnings back toward some previous state) and in what ways were they revolutionary (i.e. unprecedented, original events)?
Essay Topic 2
70How does the Age of Revolution look if you discard the superlatives and try to see merely the new, small, day-to-day changes that made life markedly different from one year to the next over a period of 50 to 70 years? Write an extended journal entry or a series of short essays to describe what it must have been like for nineteenth-century Europeans to experience such a long period of consistent change.
Essay Topic 3
Revolutions took place for years after the French Revolution, some successful, some not. How would you characterize the legacy of the French Revolution in these other revolutions? Were these revolutions independent occurrences? Were they inspired by or in any way caused by the French Revolution? Or, were they merely reactions against the same cultural developments that had happened in France?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)