Final Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Hobsbawm say that religion was still useful?
(a) As propaganda to justify xenophobia.
(b) As propaganda to build nationalism.
(c) As a prop to secure the middle class.
(d) As nostalgia for an earlier golden age.
2. What did the land have to be turned into before it could be developed economically, in Hobsbawm's opinion?
(a) A tamed beast.
(b) Feudal domains.
(c) A commodity that could be bought and sold.
(d) Farmland again, after years of being battefields.
3. What was increasing at the same time that the railroads were expanding in the 1830s?
4. How were Charles Dickens' novels connected to the politics of Dickens' time, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) They depicted the history of industrialism.
(b) They depicted the consequences of the Napoleonic Wars.
(c) They depicted the eternal struggles of boys and men.
(d) They depicted the horrible working class conditions.
5. How were the working classes influenced by religion after the French Revolution?
(a) They found consolation in the church for their hard lives.
(b) They relied on it as another social service.
(c) They remained tithed to the church.
(d) The were less influenced by it than before.
Short Answer Questions
1. What developed in other European countries, but not in France?
2. What social structure attended the profession that emerged in France as a result of Napoleon?
3. What was NOT a source to which Hobsbawm attributes the development of the arts during the industrialization of Europe?
4. How was the European population changing that made it possible for art to flourish during the Age of Revolution?
5. What fell away as industrialism developed in Europe?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)