|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dominated the Orthodox Church in 1848?
2. What were the dates of the Napoleonic Wars?
3. What idea does Hobsbawm say was just being developed after the turning point of 1830?
(b) International community.
(c) "Self-conscious" nationalism.
4. What was production freed from in the 1780s?
(a) The limitations imposed by population size.
(b) The limitations imposed by limited raw materials.
(c) The limitations imposed by years of war.
(d) The limitations of earlier production techniques.
5. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
(a) The Rockefellers.
(b) The Barings and Rothschilds.
(c) The Jews.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nation ruled most of Asia in the late 1700s?
2. What crucial event does Hobsbawm say took place during the period after the French Revolution?
3. What does Hobsbawm say revolts turned against in this period?
4. What was the Code of Napoleon?
5. Why does Hobsbawm say that the Industrial Revolution could only have happened in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobsbawm say religion was changing after the French Revolution?
2. What examples does Hobsbawm cite to demonstrate his point that the arts were responsive to the socioeconomic conditions in Europe in the mid-1800s?
3. Who does Hobsbawm say was most receptive to Romanticism, and why?
4. What does Hobsbawm say was the third wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
5. What are the three sources Hobsbawm refers to when he says that artists made the effects of industrialization a common theme?
6. How, in Hobsbawm's account, did European land reforms fare in other places?
7. How does Hobsbawm say France in particular created opportunities for a new middle class?
8. What works marked the beginning and the peak, respectively, of middle class ideology, in Hobsbawm's account?
9. What was the effect, in Hobsbawm's account, of the American Revolution on the French Revolution?
10. Why does Hobsbawm say that raw materials like iron and coal did not expand the same way as cotton began to expand in the 1780s?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)