|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hobsbawm say identified themselves with local traditions?
(a) The uneducated masses.
(b) The aristocrats.
(c) The middle class.
(d) The bourgeoisie.
2. What pressure drove the mechanization of production in the late 1700s?
(a) The need to dominate trade routes.
(b) The need for mercantile power.
(c) The need for monopoly.
(d) The need for profit.
3. What did the French Revolution create in Spain?
(a) Resistance to monarchy.
(b) Freedom movements in the Catalan region.
(c) Resistance to democracy.
(d) New forms of government.
4. What was the French National Assembly modeled on?
(a) The American House of Representatives.
(b) The British House of Commons.
(c) The American Senate.
(d) The British House of Lords.
5. Which areas were best connected, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) The farm country.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The seacoasts.
(d) The islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Russia expand its relationships after the French Revolution?
2. Who was represented by the "Third Estate" in France?
3. What was the result of improvements in the technology of spinning and weaving?
4. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. What was Robespierre's role in the Reign of Terror?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say were the three paths a working class person could choose in 1848?
2. Who does Hobsbawm say was most receptive to Romanticism, and why?
3. Who, in Hobsbawm's account, formed the foundation for what Hobsbawm calls "self-conscious' nationalism?
4. Where does Hobsbawm say the European nations expanded their influence, for lack of war in Europe?
5. How did the French Revolution proceed from 1792 to 1794?
6. How does Hobsbawm say France in particular created opportunities for a new middle class?
7. Describe the final defeat of the French forces at the end of the Napoleonic Wars.
8. How does Hobsbawm say the population was distributed in the 1780s?
9. In what way did the science of the early/mid-1800s lay the foundation for Darwin's work?
10. What conditions made Britain ripe for the Industrial Revolution, according to Hobsbawm?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)