|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say revolts turned against in this period?
(a) Mercantile colonialism.
(b) Absentee landlords.
(c) Alien rule.
(d) Aristocratic rule.
2. Where does Hobsbawm say the first wave of revolutions took place after the French Revolution?
(a) In the Mediterranean.
(b) In Asia.
(c) In Eastern Europe.
(d) In the Americas.
3. What trend was Hobsbawm looking for in revolts and revolutions?
(d) Local traditions.
4. How did the concept of nationalism spread through Europe?
(a) From France outward in every direction.
(b) From east to west.
(c) From west to east.
(d) From north to south.
5. What was the result of improvements in the technology of spinning and weaving?
(a) Decreased need for labor.
(b) Increased tax revenue from the cotton trade.
(c) Increased output.
(d) Decreased farm size.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was abolished in the wake of Napoleon's victories?
2. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
3. Why did the French state have a financial crisis in the 1780s?
4. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
5. Who was represented by the "Third Estate" in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say were the monarchies' relationships with land use and the economy in 1780?
2. How did the Napoleonic Wars affect the slave trade, in Hobsbawm's account?
3. In Hobsbawm's account, why was 1830 a turning point in the history of Europe?
4. Why does Hobsbawm say that raw materials like iron and coal did not expand the same way as cotton began to expand in the 1780s?
5. What conditions made Britain ripe for the Industrial Revolution, according to Hobsbawm?
6. Where does Hobsbawm say the European nations expanded their influence, for lack of war in Europe?
7. Describe the beginnings of the French Revolution, from 1789 to 1792.
8. How does Hobsbawm say the population was distributed in the 1780s?
9. What does Hobsbawm say was the first wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
10. How does Hobsbawm say that the political atmosphere changed after the French Revolution?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)