|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were the French forces superior to the English?
(a) In the colonies.
(b) In the navy.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In the army.
2. What cause did Russian and Britain support together after the French Revolution?
(a) The independence of Greece.
(b) The independence of Poland.
(c) The independence of Finland.
(d) The independence of Turkey.
3. What was the Bastille a symbol of when the French stormed it in 1789?
(a) The bourgeoisie.
(b) The radical element.
(c) The monarchy.
(d) The free market.
4. In what fields were cultural developments being made fastest in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) Morality and ethics.
(b) Science and commerce.
(c) Arts and music.
(d) Religion and philosophy.
5. What pressure drove the mechanization of production in the late 1700s?
(a) The need for mercantile power.
(b) The need for profit.
(c) The need for monopoly.
(d) The need to dominate trade routes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hobsbawm see a culture combining nationalism with the revolutionary spirit of the French Revolution?
2. What was Robespierre's role in the Reign of Terror?
3. What product does Hobsbawm say was the catalyst for the Industrial Revolution?
4. Who does Hobsbawm say the revolutionary groups saw as the beneficiaries of their third wave of revolutions?
5. What crucial event does Hobsbawm say took place during the period after the French Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did the cotton market play in the Industrial Revolution, in Hobsbawm's account?
2. In Hobsbawm's account, how strong were the major European nations by the end of the Napoleonic Wars?
3. How did the Napoleonic Wars affect the slave trade, in Hobsbawm's account?
4. What does Hobsbawm say were the monarchies' relationships with land use and the economy in 1780?
5. What was the effect, in Hobsbawm's account, of the American Revolution on the French Revolution?
6. Describe Robespierre's influence on the French Revolution.
7. Describe the final defeat of the French forces at the end of the Napoleonic Wars.
8. What conditions made Britain ripe for the Industrial Revolution, according to Hobsbawm?
9. Who, in Hobsbawm's account, formed the foundation for what Hobsbawm calls "self-conscious' nationalism?
10. How does Hobsbawm say that the nationalistic ideal spread through Europe?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)