|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which nation ruled most of Asia in the late 1700s?
2. Which of the revolutions that took place in the first wave of revolutions after the French Revolution was NOT suppressed?
3. What cause did Russian and Britain support together after the French Revolution?
(a) The independence of Greece.
(b) The independence of Turkey.
(c) The independence of Poland.
(d) The independence of Finland.
4. What group does Hobsbawm say typified the revolutionary groups that became active in 1848?
(a) The Chartists.
(b) The Jacobins.
(c) The Luddites.
(d) The Carbonari.
5. Where were spinning and weaving performed prior to the Industrial Revolution?
(a) In the market.
(b) At home.
(c) In warehouses.
(d) In communal workshops.
Short Answer Questions
1. France was opposed by which of these in the Napoleonic Wars?
2. What happened that fostered nationalist movements in the Balkans?
3. In what fields were cultural developments being made fastest in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
4. What did the nobility do when France became a Constitutional monarchy?
5. What pressure drove the mechanization of production in the late 1700s?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobsbawm say that the nationalistic ideal spread through Europe?
2. Describe the beginnings of the French Revolution, from 1789 to 1792.
3. Why does Hobsbawm say that raw materials like iron and coal did not expand the same way as cotton began to expand in the 1780s?
4. In Hobsbawm's account, was the Napoleonic War worth the destruction it caused for the economic benefits that followed?
5. In Hobsbawm's account, why was 1830 a turning point in the history of Europe?
6. What does Hobsbawm say was the third wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
7. What does Hobsbawm say were the monarchies' relationships with land use and the economy in 1780?
8. What was the importance of railroads, in Hobsbawm's account, in the Industrial Revolution?
9. How did the Napoleonic Wars affect the slave trade, in Hobsbawm's account?
10. What role did the cotton market play in the Industrial Revolution, in Hobsbawm's account?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)