|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the French state have a financial crisis in the 1780s?
(a) Because they had brought too many workers into the labor force, and devalued their currency.
(b) Because they had lost Canada to the British.
(c) Because they had overextended themselves in their colonies.
(d) Because they helped the Americans in their Revolutionary War.
2. Which class does Hobsbawm say published and circulated native-language publications?
(a) Ex-patriate presses.
(b) The universities.
(c) Local presses.
(d) Urban presses.
3. What crucial event does Hobsbawm say took place during the period after the French Revolution?
(a) The development of paper currency.
(b) The invention of the cotton gin.
(c) The abolition of the slave trade.
(d) The discovery of Australia.
4. What happened that fostered nationalist movements in the Balkans?
(a) Greeks began to flee to the Balkans to get away from the fighting in Greece.
(b) The Russians opened trade with the Balkan areas.
(c) The Greeks attained independence and fixed borders.
(d) The Turks invaded, uniting the Balkan states against them.
5. Which nation was the exception to the rule that Europe was ruled by absolute monarchs, in the late 1700s?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say is the dual root of nationalism in Europe?
2. Which areas were best connected, according to Hobsbawm?
3. Where were the French forces superior to the English?
4. Who dominated the Orthodox Church in 1848?
5. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm say was the third wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
2. Describe Robespierre's influence on the French Revolution.
3. What was the effect, in Hobsbawm's account, of the American Revolution on the French Revolution?
4. Why did a period of peace follow the Napoleonic Wars, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. What does Hobsbawm say were the monarchies' relationships with land use and the economy in 1780?
6. What conditions made Britain ripe for the Industrial Revolution, according to Hobsbawm?
7. How did the Napoleonic Wars affect the slave trade, in Hobsbawm's account?
8. Describe the effect of the Greek revolution on Greece and the region.
9. How does Hobsbawm say that the nationalistic ideal spread through Europe?
10. What were the geographical consequences of the Napoleonic Wars, in Hobsbawm's account?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)