|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what fields were cultural developments being made fastest in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) Morality and ethics.
(b) Religion and philosophy.
(c) Arts and music.
(d) Science and commerce.
2. What was the Code of Napoleon?
(a) The bureaucratic system instituted in France.
(b) The criminal law instituted by Napoleon.
(c) The reform that abolished feudalism.
(d) The currency policy that financed the Napoleonic wars.
3. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Industrial labor and aristocrats.
(b) Part-time craftsmen and markets.
(c) Farmers and craftsmen.
(d) Political theory and practice.
4. What was Robespierre's role in the Reign of Terror?
(a) He was persecuted by it.
(b) He oversaw it.
(c) He incited the people to carry it out.
(d) He conceived the idea for it.
5. What trend was Hobsbawm looking for in revolts and revolutions?
(c) Local traditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which market supplied raw materials for the cotton trade?
2. What does Hobsbawm say the major European powers agreed on after the French Revolution?
3. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
4. What was the result of improvements in the technology of spinning and weaving?
5. Which nation led the others in industrialization?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the effect, in Hobsbawm's account, of the American Revolution on the French Revolution?
2. Describe the effect of the Greek revolution on Greece and the region.
3. Why did a period of peace follow the Napoleonic Wars, in Hobsbawm's account?
4. How does Hobsbawm say that the political atmosphere changed after the French Revolution?
5. Why does Hobsbawm say that raw materials like iron and coal did not expand the same way as cotton began to expand in the 1780s?
6. How does Hobsbawm say the population was distributed in the 1780s?
7. What were the geographical consequences of the Napoleonic Wars, in Hobsbawm's account?
8. Who, in Hobsbawm's account, formed the foundation for what Hobsbawm calls "self-conscious' nationalism?
9. How did the French Revolution proceed from 1792 to 1794?
10. Describe Robespierre's influence on the French Revolution.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)