|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which industry saw special improvements and expansion in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
2. Which nation was the exception to the rule that Europe was ruled by absolute monarchs, in the late 1700s?
3. Who dominated the Third Estate in the 1780s in France?
(a) The middle class.
(b) Revolutionaries and radicals.
(c) The working poor.
(d) The nobility.
4. Who does Hobsbawm say identified themselves with local traditions?
(a) The middle class.
(b) The aristocrats.
(c) The bourgeoisie.
(d) The uneducated masses.
5. What trend was Hobsbawm looking for in revolts and revolutions?
(d) Local traditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Hobsbawm say Europeans were affected by the Napoleonic Wars?
2. What emerged in 1830, according to Hobsbawm's evaluation?
3. What set the stage for the French Revolution, in Hobsbawm's account?
4. What did the French Revolution demonstrate to the rest of Europe?
5. What group does Hobsbawm say typified the revolutionary groups that became active in 1848?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the French Revolution proceed from 1792 to 1794?
2. What does Hobsbawm say were the monarchies' relationships with land use and the economy in 1780?
3. What does Hobsbawm say was the first wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
4. In what way does Hobsbawm say that the world was both bigger and smaller in the late 1700s?
5. Describe Robespierre's influence on the French Revolution.
6. How does Hobsbawm say that the nationalistic ideal spread through Europe?
7. In Hobsbawm's account, why was 1830 a turning point in the history of Europe?
8. Why does Hobsbawm say that raw materials like iron and coal did not expand the same way as cotton began to expand in the 1780s?
9. What conditions made Britain ripe for the Industrial Revolution, according to Hobsbawm?
10. What was the effect, in Hobsbawm's account, of the American Revolution on the French Revolution?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)