|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hobsbawm say the first wave of revolutions took place after the French Revolution?
(a) In the Mediterranean.
(b) In Asia.
(c) In Eastern Europe.
(d) In the Americas.
2. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
(a) Placing competent men in bureaucratic positions.
(b) Selling government positions to noblemen.
(c) Ostracizing radicals and innovators.
(d) Persecuting heretics and dissenters.
3. Which areas were best connected, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) The farm country.
(b) The islands.
(c) The mountains.
(d) The seacoasts.
4. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
(a) The Barings and Rothschilds.
(b) The Jews.
(c) The Rockefellers.
5. Europe was ruled by Britain, France, Austria, Prussia and which nation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the international congress that ruled Europe called?
2. Who dominated the Orthodox Church in 1848?
3. Where did Britain expand its relationships after the French Revolution?
4. When did the Constituent Assembly create a new Constitution that turned France into a Constitutional monarchy?
5. Where does Hobsbawm see a culture combining nationalism with the revolutionary spirit of the French Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginnings of the French Revolution, from 1789 to 1792.
2. What does Hobsbawm say was the third wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
3. Describe the final defeat of the French forces at the end of the Napoleonic Wars.
4. Where does Hobsbawm say the European nations expanded their influence, for lack of war in Europe?
5. What role did the cotton market play in the Industrial Revolution, in Hobsbawm's account?
6. What was the importance of railroads, in Hobsbawm's account, in the Industrial Revolution?
7. In Hobsbawm's account, was the Napoleonic War worth the destruction it caused for the economic benefits that followed?
8. What conditions made Britain ripe for the Industrial Revolution, according to Hobsbawm?
9. How does Hobsbawm say that the political atmosphere changed after the French Revolution?
10. How did the Napoleonic Wars affect the slave trade, in Hobsbawm's account?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)