|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Russia expand its relationships after the French Revolution?
(d) The Caucasus.
2. Which areas were best connected, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) The islands.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The farm country.
(d) The seacoasts.
3. Why does Hobsbawm say that the Industrial Revolution could only have happened in England?
(a) Because the Industrial Revolution required a cooler climate.
(b) Because agriculture thrived in England's moister climate.
(c) Becaue only Britain had the commercial strength and social conditions for it.
(d) Because the rest of the continent was consumed in war.
4. What trend was Hobsbawm looking for in revolts and revolutions?
(c) Local traditions.
5. Why did the international congress among Europe's ruling nations dissolve after a few years?
(a) The interests of its main powers diverged.
(b) Its members conspired against each other.
(c) It was replaced by another alliance.
(d) Its members launched an unsuccessful war together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were spinning and weaving performed prior to the Industrial Revolution?
2. What was the effect of the nobility trying to return to government in France?
3. How did the concept of nationalism spread through Europe?
4. What idea does Hobsbawm say was just being developed after the turning point of 1830?
5. Who was represented by the "Third Estate" in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the French Revolution proceed from 1792 to 1794?
2. Who does Hobsbawm say was most receptive to Romanticism, and why?
3. What was the effect, in Hobsbawm's account, of the American Revolution on the French Revolution?
4. What does Hobsbawm say was the third wave of revolutions to follow the French Revolution?
5. How, in Hobsbawm's account, did European land reforms fare in other places?
6. How does Hobsbawm describe the working class' living conditions?
7. How does Hobsbawm describe France's effect on land reform?
8. What does Hobsbawm say was the paradox of progress in certain countries of Europe?
9. How does Hobsbawm define middle class ideology?
10. Describe Robespierre's influence on the French Revolution.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)