|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
(a) Placing competent men in bureaucratic positions.
(b) Ostracizing radicals and innovators.
(c) Selling government positions to noblemen.
(d) Persecuting heretics and dissenters.
2. What did Hobsbawm say was the new law of businesses in the late 1700s?
(a) Buy low, sell high.
(b) Get big or die.
(c) Buy locally, sell globally.
(d) Create a niche.
3. Where were the French forces defeated in 1815?
4. Where does Hobsbawm say the first wave of revolutions took place after the French Revolution?
(a) In the Mediterranean.
(b) In the Americas.
(c) In Eastern Europe.
(d) In Asia.
5. What were the dates of the Napoleonic Wars?
6. What was the international congress that ruled Europe called?
(a) The League of Nations.
(b) The European Assembly.
(c) The European Convention.
(d) The Concert of Europe.
7. What idea does Hobsbawm say was just being developed after the turning point of 1830?
(b) "Self-conscious" nationalism.
(d) International community.
8. Where, according to Hobsbawm, did a national movement come from the masses?
9. Where were spinning and weaving performed prior to the Industrial Revolution?
(a) In warehouses.
(b) In the market.
(c) At home.
(d) In communal workshops.
10. In what did England lead Europe, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Raw material production.
(b) Per capita trade.
(c) Political freedoms.
(d) Moral philosophy.
11. What set the stage for the French Revolution, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) France's war with Britain.
(b) France's war with Russia.
(c) France's war with Austria.
(d) France's war with Prussia.
12. Which nation was the exception to the rule that Europe was ruled by absolute monarchs, in the late 1700s?
13. What happened that fostered nationalist movements in the Balkans?
(a) The Turks invaded, uniting the Balkan states against them.
(b) Greeks began to flee to the Balkans to get away from the fighting in Greece.
(c) The Greeks attained independence and fixed borders.
(d) The Russians opened trade with the Balkan areas.
14. What does Hobsbawm say revolts turned against in this period?
(a) Mercantile colonialism.
(b) Aristocratic rule.
(c) Alien rule.
(d) Absentee landlords.
15. When did the Constituent Assembly create a new Constitution that turned France into a Constitutional monarchy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What group does Hobsbawm say typified the revolutionary groups that became active in 1848?
2. Where does Hobsbawm see a culture combining nationalism with the revolutionary spirit of the French Revolution?
3. What quality distinguished the revolutions that took place in 1848 from earlier revolutions, according to Hobsbawm?
4. What pressure drove the mechanization of production in the late 1700s?
5. What did the French Revolution demonstrate to the rest of Europe?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)