|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hobsbawm say the first wave of revolutions took place after the French Revolution?
(a) In the Mediterranean.
(b) In Asia.
(c) In the Americas.
(d) In Eastern Europe.
2. What idea does Hobsbawm say was just being developed after the turning point of 1830?
(a) "Self-conscious" nationalism.
(c) International community.
3. Where did Britain expand its relationships after the French Revolution?
(a) With France and Spain.
(b) With Russia and Prussia.
(c) With China and Indonesia.
(d) With its colonies.
4. What did the monarchy do in response to France's financial crisis in the 1780s?
(a) He outsourced the business of governing.
(b) He called a States General.
(c) He proposed new taxes.
(d) He borrowed from the merchants.
5. Which industry saw special improvements and expansion in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
6. What trend was Hobsbawm looking for in revolts and revolutions?
(a) Local traditions.
7. What product does Hobsbawm say was the catalyst for the Industrial Revolution?
8. Who was represented by the "Third Estate" in France?
(a) The merchants.
(b) The common people.
(c) The nobles.
(d) The bourgeoisie.
9. What was the international congress that ruled Europe called?
(a) The European Assembly.
(b) The European Convention.
(c) The Concert of Europe.
(d) The League of Nations.
10. Which nation ruled most of Asia in the late 1700s?
11. What does Hobsbawm call the Industrial Revolution?
(a) "the most important event in world history."
(b) "the beginning of the modern age."
(c) "the end of classical Europe."
(d) "preparation for some of the greatest changes mankind would know."
12. Where did the idea that Hobsbawm says was developing after 1830 first take root?
(a) In the destitute.
(b) In the bourgeoisie.
(c) In the middle classes.
(d) In the working poor.
13. What was the result of improvements in the technology of spinning and weaving?
(a) Increased output.
(b) Decreased farm size.
(c) Increased tax revenue from the cotton trade.
(d) Decreased need for labor.
14. Who dominated the Orthodox Church in 1848?
15. What was the Code of Napoleon?
(a) The currency policy that financed the Napoleonic wars.
(b) The criminal law instituted by Napoleon.
(c) The bureaucratic system instituted in France.
(d) The reform that abolished feudalism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
2. What was the effect of the nobility trying to return to government in France?
3. In what way does Hobsbawm say the world was smaller in 1789?
4. What relationship had begun to dominate between landowners and farmers in England in the late 1700s?
5. What did the French Revolution create in Spain?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)