|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Revolutions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were spinning and weaving performed prior to the Industrial Revolution?
(a) In communal workshops.
(b) In warehouses.
(c) In the market.
(d) At home.
2. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
(a) Selling government positions to noblemen.
(b) Ostracizing radicals and innovators.
(c) Persecuting heretics and dissenters.
(d) Placing competent men in bureaucratic positions.
3. What did the monarchy do in response to France's financial crisis in the 1780s?
(a) He called a States General.
(b) He borrowed from the merchants.
(c) He outsourced the business of governing.
(d) He proposed new taxes.
4. What crucial event does Hobsbawm say took place during the period after the French Revolution?
(a) The invention of the cotton gin.
(b) The development of paper currency.
(c) The abolition of the slave trade.
(d) The discovery of Australia.
5. What, in Hobsbawm's view, was the economic result of the French Revolution?
(a) It devastated the continent with non-stop fighting.
(b) It created room for new industries.
(c) It concentrated the refugee populations in cities, where they became workers.
(d) It ruined the means of production and created the possibility of socialism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hobsbawm say the revolutionary groups saw as the beneficiaries of their third wave of revolutions?
2. Europe was ruled by Britain, France, Austria, Prussia and which nation?
3. Which nation led the others in industrialization?
4. What product does Hobsbawm say was the catalyst for the Industrial Revolution?
5. Why did the international congress among Europe's ruling nations dissolve after a few years?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)