|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hobsbawm describe the agrarian workers of the world?
(a) He says they were unfree.
(b) He says they were united.
(c) He says they were part-owners in the estates.
(d) He says they were efficient.
2. What relationship had begun to dominate between landowners and farmers in England in the late 1700s?
(a) Communal ownership.
(b) Lord and vassal.
(c) Landlord and tenant-farmer.
(d) Frontiersmen were opening new lands in Europe.
3. Which areas were best connected, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) The islands.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The seacoasts.
(d) The farm country.
4. Which market supplied raw materials for the cotton trade?
(a) Britain's colonies.
5. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) The working classes.
(b) Merchants and investors.
(c) Nobles and aristocrats.
(d) All strata of society invested in the railroads.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nation was the exception to the rule that Europe was ruled by absolute monarchs, in the late 1700s?
2. What did the monarchy do in response to France's financial crisis in the 1780s?
3. In what way does Hobsbawm say the world of 1789 was bigger than today?
4. What was the Bastille a symbol of when the French stormed it in 1789?
5. France was opposed by which of these in the Napoleonic Wars?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)