|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What product does Hobsbawm say was the catalyst for the Industrial Revolution?
2. What does Hobsbawm call the Industrial Revolution?
(a) "the end of classical Europe."
(b) "the beginning of the modern age."
(c) "the most important event in world history."
(d) "preparation for some of the greatest changes mankind would know."
3. Why did the French state have a financial crisis in the 1780s?
(a) Because they had lost Canada to the British.
(b) Because they had brought too many workers into the labor force, and devalued their currency.
(c) Because they had overextended themselves in their colonies.
(d) Because they helped the Americans in their Revolutionary War.
4. What did Hobsbawm say was the new law of businesses in the late 1700s?
(a) Buy low, sell high.
(b) Create a niche.
(c) Get big or die.
(d) Buy locally, sell globally.
5. What, in Hobsbawm's view, was the economic result of the French Revolution?
(a) It created room for new industries.
(b) It devastated the continent with non-stop fighting.
(c) It ruined the means of production and created the possibility of socialism.
(d) It concentrated the refugee populations in cities, where they became workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What set the stage for the French Revolution, in Hobsbawm's account?
2. What were the dates of the Napoleonic Wars?
3. Which nation was the exception to the rule that Europe was ruled by absolute monarchs, in the late 1700s?
4. Where were the French forces defeated in 1815?
5. Who was represented by the "Third Estate" in France?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)