|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hobsbawm say was the new law of businesses in the late 1700s?
(a) Get big or die.
(b) Create a niche.
(c) Buy low, sell high.
(d) Buy locally, sell globally.
2. In what way does Hobsbawm say the world of 1789 was bigger than today?
(a) Hobsbawm says that distances seemed much bigger than today.
(b) Hobsbawm says that the population was bigger than today.
(c) Hobsbawm says that people were bigger than today.
(d) Hobsbawm says that much of the Earth was still unexplored.
3. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Part-time craftsmen and markets.
(b) Political theory and practice.
(c) Farmers and craftsmen.
(d) Industrial labor and aristocrats.
4. How much does Hobsbawm say Europeans were affected by the Napoleonic Wars?
(a) He says that fighting was widespread throughout many regions.
(b) He says that many were not affected at all.
(c) He says that almost everyone felt the effects in one way or another.
(d) He says that the wide areas were almost totally devastated. but some were left untouched.
5. How large were the circles within which people moved in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) Much larger than today.
(b) They were much more spread out.
(c) Much smaller than today.
(d) Smaller than today for some people, but larger for others.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Hobsbawm say the world was smaller in 1789?
2. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
3. Where were the French forces defeated in 1815?
4. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. Which nation ruled most of Asia in the late 1700s?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)