|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hobsbawm say that the Industrial Revolution could only have happened in England?
(a) Because the Industrial Revolution required a cooler climate.
(b) Becaue only Britain had the commercial strength and social conditions for it.
(c) Because the rest of the continent was consumed in war.
(d) Because agriculture thrived in England's moister climate.
2. How large were the circles within which people moved in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) Much smaller than today.
(b) They were much more spread out.
(c) Much larger than today.
(d) Smaller than today for some people, but larger for others.
3. What was Robespierre's role in the Reign of Terror?
(a) He oversaw it.
(b) He incited the people to carry it out.
(c) He conceived the idea for it.
(d) He was persecuted by it.
4. Why did the French state have a financial crisis in the 1780s?
(a) Because they had lost Canada to the British.
(b) Because they had brought too many workers into the labor force, and devalued their currency.
(c) Because they helped the Americans in their Revolutionary War.
(d) Because they had overextended themselves in their colonies.
5. What was the result of improvements in the technology of spinning and weaving?
(a) Increased output.
(b) Increased tax revenue from the cotton trade.
(c) Decreased need for labor.
(d) Decreased farm size.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which industry saw special improvements and expansion in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
2. What was production freed from in the 1780s?
3. What did the monarchy do in response to France's financial crisis in the 1780s?
4. Where were the French forces superior to the English?
5. In what did England lead Europe, in Hobsbawm's account?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)