|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The French Revolution.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
(a) Ostracizing radicals and innovators.
(b) Placing competent men in bureaucratic positions.
(c) Selling government positions to noblemen.
(d) Persecuting heretics and dissenters.
2. In what way does Hobsbawm say the world of 1789 was bigger than today?
(a) Hobsbawm says that the population was bigger than today.
(b) Hobsbawm says that people were bigger than today.
(c) Hobsbawm says that much of the Earth was still unexplored.
(d) Hobsbawm says that distances seemed much bigger than today.
3. What was the French National Assembly modeled on?
(a) The American House of Representatives.
(b) The British House of Lords.
(c) The American Senate.
(d) The British House of Commons.
4. In what fields were cultural developments being made fastest in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) Arts and music.
(b) Religion and philosophy.
(c) Science and commerce.
(d) Morality and ethics.
5. What did the monarchy do in response to France's financial crisis in the 1780s?
(a) He borrowed from the merchants.
(b) He called a States General.
(c) He proposed new taxes.
(d) He outsourced the business of governing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How large were the circles within which people moved in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
2. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
3. What was the effect of the nobility trying to return to government in France?
4. In what way does Hobsbawm say the world was smaller in 1789?
5. Why did the French state have a financial crisis in the 1780s?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)