|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The French Revolution.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the effect of the nobility trying to return to government in France?
(a) They widened the gap between rich and poor.
(b) They inflamed tensions with the merchant class.
(c) They made the government more efficient.
(d) They weakened the government.
2. In what way does Hobsbawm say the world was smaller in 1789?
(a) Hobsbawm says that the population was smaller.
(b) Hobsbawm says that the cities were smaller.
(c) Hobsbawm says that the Earth was smaller.
(d) Hobsbawm says that the families were smaller.
3. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Part-time craftsmen and markets.
(b) Political theory and practice.
(c) Farmers and craftsmen.
(d) Industrial labor and aristocrats.
4. Which industry saw special improvements and expansion in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
5. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
(a) Placing competent men in bureaucratic positions.
(b) Selling government positions to noblemen.
(c) Ostracizing radicals and innovators.
(d) Persecuting heretics and dissenters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pressure drove the mechanization of production in the late 1700s?
2. Where were spinning and weaving performed prior to the Industrial Revolution?
3. Who was represented by the "Third Estate" in France?
4. In what fields were cultural developments being made fastest in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
5. What does Hobsbawm call the Industrial Revolution?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)