|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The French Revolution.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Industrial labor and aristocrats.
(b) Farmers and craftsmen.
(c) Part-time craftsmen and markets.
(d) Political theory and practice.
2. Who was represented by the "Third Estate" in France?
(a) The merchants.
(b) The bourgeoisie.
(c) The nobles.
(d) The common people.
3. What did Hobsbawm say was the new law of businesses in the late 1700s?
(a) Buy low, sell high.
(b) Create a niche.
(c) Get big or die.
(d) Buy locally, sell globally.
4. What was the result of improvements in the technology of spinning and weaving?
(a) Decreased need for labor.
(b) Decreased farm size.
(c) Increased tax revenue from the cotton trade.
(d) Increased output.
5. Why did the French state have a financial crisis in the 1780s?
(a) Because they had lost Canada to the British.
(b) Because they had brought too many workers into the labor force, and devalued their currency.
(c) Because they helped the Americans in their Revolutionary War.
(d) Because they had overextended themselves in their colonies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
2. What was the age of scientific and political progress in the 1700s called?
3. Which nation ruled most of Asia in the late 1700s?
4. What product does Hobsbawm say was the catalyst for the Industrial Revolution?
5. What was Robespierre's role in the Reign of Terror?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)