|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The French Revolution.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the effect of the nobility trying to return to government in France?
(a) They weakened the government.
(b) They widened the gap between rich and poor.
(c) They inflamed tensions with the merchant class.
(d) They made the government more efficient.
2. Which areas were best connected, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) The farm country.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The islands.
(d) The seacoasts.
3. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Part-time craftsmen and markets.
(b) Farmers and craftsmen.
(c) Industrial labor and aristocrats.
(d) Political theory and practice.
4. In what way does Hobsbawm say the world of 1789 was bigger than today?
(a) Hobsbawm says that much of the Earth was still unexplored.
(b) Hobsbawm says that distances seemed much bigger than today.
(c) Hobsbawm says that the population was bigger than today.
(d) Hobsbawm says that people were bigger than today.
5. In what did England lead Europe, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Per capita trade.
(b) Political freedoms.
(c) Raw material production.
(d) Moral philosophy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nation was the exception to the rule that Europe was ruled by absolute monarchs, in the late 1700s?
2. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
3. What was the French National Assembly modeled on?
4. In what fields were cultural developments being made fastest in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
5. What was production freed from in the 1780s?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)