|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The French Revolution.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was represented by the "Third Estate" in France?
(a) The bourgeoisie.
(b) The nobles.
(c) The common people.
(d) The merchants.
2. What did the monarchy do in response to France's financial crisis in the 1780s?
(a) He outsourced the business of governing.
(b) He called a States General.
(c) He borrowed from the merchants.
(d) He proposed new taxes.
3. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
(a) Persecuting heretics and dissenters.
(b) Selling government positions to noblemen.
(c) Placing competent men in bureaucratic positions.
(d) Ostracizing radicals and innovators.
4. What does Hobsbawm say was the greatest influence on political thought in the 19th century?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The ancient Greeks.
(d) The Industrial Revolution.
5. What pressure drove the mechanization of production in the late 1700s?
(a) The need for monopoly.
(b) The need for mercantile power.
(c) The need to dominate trade routes.
(d) The need for profit.
Short Answer Questions
1. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
2. What was Robespierre's role in the Reign of Terror?
3. What does Hobsbawm call the Industrial Revolution?
4. What was the result of improvements in the technology of spinning and weaving?
5. What did Hobsbawm say was the new law of businesses in the late 1700s?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)