|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The French Revolution.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobsbawm call the Industrial Revolution?
(a) "the end of classical Europe."
(b) "preparation for some of the greatest changes mankind would know."
(c) "the most important event in world history."
(d) "the beginning of the modern age."
2. Who dominated the Third Estate in the 1780s in France?
(a) The working poor.
(b) Revolutionaries and radicals.
(c) The nobility.
(d) The middle class.
3. Why did the French state have a financial crisis in the 1780s?
(a) Because they had brought too many workers into the labor force, and devalued their currency.
(b) Because they helped the Americans in their Revolutionary War.
(c) Because they had lost Canada to the British.
(d) Because they had overextended themselves in their colonies.
4. In what did England lead Europe, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Moral philosophy.
(b) Raw material production.
(c) Per capita trade.
(d) Political freedoms.
5. How does Hobsbawm describe the agrarian workers of the world?
(a) He says they were unfree.
(b) He says they were united.
(c) He says they were part-owners in the estates.
(d) He says they were efficient.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nation was the exception to the rule that Europe was ruled by absolute monarchs, in the late 1700s?
2. What was the result of improvements in the technology of spinning and weaving?
3. Where were spinning and weaving performed prior to the Industrial Revolution?
4. What was the effect of the nobility trying to return to government in France?
5. Which nation ruled most of Asia in the late 1700s?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)