|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The French Revolution.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How large were the circles within which people moved in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) Smaller than today for some people, but larger for others.
(b) Much larger than today.
(c) Much smaller than today.
(d) They were much more spread out.
2. What was the age of scientific and political progress in the 1700s called?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The Enlightenment.
(d) The Romantic period.
3. Why does Hobsbawm say that the Industrial Revolution could only have happened in England?
(a) Because agriculture thrived in England's moister climate.
(b) Because the Industrial Revolution required a cooler climate.
(c) Becaue only Britain had the commercial strength and social conditions for it.
(d) Because the rest of the continent was consumed in war.
4. What was the Bastille a symbol of when the French stormed it in 1789?
(a) The radical element.
(b) The monarchy.
(c) The free market.
(d) The bourgeoisie.
5. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Political theory and practice.
(b) Part-time craftsmen and markets.
(c) Farmers and craftsmen.
(d) Industrial labor and aristocrats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Robespierre's role in the Reign of Terror?
2. What did the monarchy do in response to France's financial crisis in the 1780s?
3. In what fields were cultural developments being made fastest in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
4. What was the effect of the nobility trying to return to government in France?
5. What was the French National Assembly modeled on?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)