|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The French Revolution.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Hobsbawm say the world of 1789 was bigger than today?
(a) Hobsbawm says that distances seemed much bigger than today.
(b) Hobsbawm says that much of the Earth was still unexplored.
(c) Hobsbawm says that people were bigger than today.
(d) Hobsbawm says that the population was bigger than today.
2. What was the French National Assembly modeled on?
(a) The British House of Lords.
(b) The American House of Representatives.
(c) The British House of Commons.
(d) The American Senate.
3. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Farmers and craftsmen.
(b) Political theory and practice.
(c) Industrial labor and aristocrats.
(d) Part-time craftsmen and markets.
4. What did the nobility do when France became a Constitutional monarchy?
(a) They turned their estates into communes.
(b) They fled to other monarchies.
(c) They helped turn over their wealth and the Church's wealth to the people.
(d) They organized resistance within France.
5. Who was represented by the "Third Estate" in France?
(a) The nobles.
(b) The common people.
(c) The bourgeoisie.
(d) The merchants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
2. In what fields were cultural developments being made fastest in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
3. What pressure drove the mechanization of production in the late 1700s?
4. What set the stage for the French Revolution, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. What was the effect of the nobility trying to return to government in France?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)