|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Peace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the French monarch make a practice of in the 1780s?
(a) Selling government positions to noblemen.
(b) Persecuting heretics and dissenters.
(c) Placing competent men in bureaucratic positions.
(d) Ostracizing radicals and innovators.
2. What did the French Revolution demonstrate to the rest of Europe?
(a) That people could rise up to fight for their freedom.
(b) That Europe was not ready for democracy yet.
(c) That tyrants could use popular uprisings for their own purposes.
(d) That power will always reside in the aristocracy's hands.
3. What pressure drove the mechanization of production in the late 1700s?
(a) The need for profit.
(b) The need for mercantile power.
(c) The need to dominate trade routes.
(d) The need for monopoly.
4. Who dominated the Third Estate in the 1780s in France?
(a) The middle class.
(b) The nobility.
(c) Revolutionaries and radicals.
(d) The working poor.
5. In what fields were cultural developments being made fastest in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
(a) Religion and philosophy.
(b) Science and commerce.
(c) Arts and music.
(d) Morality and ethics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the French forces superior to the English?
2. What was the age of scientific and political progress in the 1700s called?
3. Which nation ruled most of Asia in the late 1700s?
4. What was the Bastille a symbol of when the French stormed it in 1789?
5. Which market supplied raw materials for the cotton trade?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)