|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Peace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The merchant class was situated between what and what, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) Industrial labor and aristocrats.
(b) Political theory and practice.
(c) Part-time craftsmen and markets.
(d) Farmers and craftsmen.
2. What does Hobsbawm say the major European powers agreed on after the French Revolution?
(a) Revolutions should be used as tools for developing nationalism.
(b) Revolutionary movements should be contained.
(c) Revolutions should be a way of eliminating the aristocrats.
(d) Revolutions should be used to reinforce the ruling class.
3. Why did the international congress among Europe's ruling nations dissolve after a few years?
(a) Its members conspired against each other.
(b) The interests of its main powers diverged.
(c) Its members launched an unsuccessful war together.
(d) It was replaced by another alliance.
4. What was the effect of the nobility trying to return to government in France?
(a) They inflamed tensions with the merchant class.
(b) They weakened the government.
(c) They made the government more efficient.
(d) They widened the gap between rich and poor.
5. What cause did Russian and Britain support together after the French Revolution?
(a) The independence of Greece.
(b) The independence of Turkey.
(c) The independence of Poland.
(d) The independence of Finland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which industry saw special improvements and expansion in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
2. Who was represented by the "Third Estate" in France?
3. In what way does Hobsbawm say the world was smaller in 1789?
4. Where were spinning and weaving performed prior to the Industrial Revolution?
5. What was the result of improvements in the technology of spinning and weaving?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)