|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was production freed from in the 1780s?
(a) The limitations imposed by population size.
(b) The limitations imposed by limited raw materials.
(c) The limitations imposed by years of war.
(d) The limitations of earlier production techniques.
2. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) All strata of society invested in the railroads.
(b) Nobles and aristocrats.
(c) Merchants and investors.
(d) The working classes.
3. Where were the French forces superior to the English?
(a) In the army.
(b) In the colonies.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In the navy.
4. What was abolished in the wake of Napoleon's victories?
5. What cause did Russia and Britain disagree over after the French Revolution?
(a) The independence of Poland.
(b) The independence of Turkey.
(c) The independence of Greece.
(d) The independence of Finland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't disagreements between nations reach the level of international war?
2. Where were the French forces defeated in 1814?
3. Why does Hobsbawm say that the Industrial Revolution could only have happened in England?
4. How did the concept of nationalism spread through Europe?
5. What crucial event does Hobsbawm say took place during the period after the French Revolution?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)