|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was increasing at the same time that the railroads were expanding in the 1830s?
2. Where did the idea that Hobsbawm says was developing after 1830 first take root?
(a) In the destitute.
(b) In the bourgeoisie.
(c) In the working poor.
(d) In the middle classes.
3. What did Hobsbawm say was the new law of businesses in the late 1700s?
(a) Buy locally, sell globally.
(b) Get big or die.
(c) Create a niche.
(d) Buy low, sell high.
4. What cause did Russian and Britain support together after the French Revolution?
(a) The independence of Finland.
(b) The independence of Greece.
(c) The independence of Poland.
(d) The independence of Turkey.
5. Where were the French forces defeated in 1814?
(a) The Marne.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dominated the Orthodox Church in 1848?
2. What is the paradox in France's failure to develop its industries?
3. What began to develop as industrialism developed in Europe?
4. What does Hobsbawm say revolts turned against in this period?
5. In Hobsbawm's account, what happened in France as industrialism expanded in neighboring countries?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)