|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) All strata of society invested in the railroads.
(b) The working classes.
(c) Merchants and investors.
(d) Nobles and aristocrats.
2. What crucial event does Hobsbawm say took place during the period after the French Revolution?
(a) The development of paper currency.
(b) The discovery of Australia.
(c) The abolition of the slave trade.
(d) The invention of the cotton gin.
3. Where were the French forces defeated in 1815?
4. What happened that fostered nationalist movements in the Balkans?
(a) The Russians opened trade with the Balkan areas.
(b) The Turks invaded, uniting the Balkan states against them.
(c) Greeks began to flee to the Balkans to get away from the fighting in Greece.
(d) The Greeks attained independence and fixed borders.
5. Where did Britain expand its relationships after the French Revolution?
(a) With Russia and Prussia.
(b) With its colonies.
(c) With China and Indonesia.
(d) With France and Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which market supplied raw materials for the cotton trade?
2. Why does Hobsbawm say that the Industrial Revolution could only have happened in England?
3. Who dominated the Orthodox Church in 1848?
4. What cause did Russia and Britain disagree over after the French Revolution?
5. What was the international congress that ruled Europe called?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)