|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was production freed from in the 1780s?
(a) The limitations imposed by population size.
(b) The limitations of earlier production techniques.
(c) The limitations imposed by years of war.
(d) The limitations imposed by limited raw materials.
2. What state were other economies in 1848?
(a) They were still linked to agriculture.
(b) They were developing politically.
(c) They were building the foundations for modern agricultural techniques.
(d) They were refining slave-based production methods.
3. Why does Hobsbawm say that the Industrial Revolution could only have happened in England?
(a) Because the Industrial Revolution required a cooler climate.
(b) Becaue only Britain had the commercial strength and social conditions for it.
(c) Because agriculture thrived in England's moister climate.
(d) Because the rest of the continent was consumed in war.
4. What did the French Revolution demonstrate to the rest of Europe?
(a) That people could rise up to fight for their freedom.
(b) That Europe was not ready for democracy yet.
(c) That power will always reside in the aristocracy's hands.
(d) That tyrants could use popular uprisings for their own purposes.
5. What began to develop as industrialism developed in Europe?
(a) A trade war over tariffs.
(b) An arms race between nations.
(c) Lower prices as producers competed for buyers.
(d) A gap between developed and un-developed nations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
2. What were the dates of the Napoleonic Wars?
3. What was abolished in the wake of Napoleon's victories?
4. How much does Hobsbawm say Europeans were affected by the Napoleonic Wars?
5. France was opposed by which of these in the Napoleonic Wars?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)