|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
(a) The Jews.
(c) The Barings and Rothschilds.
(d) The Rockefellers.
2. In what respect does Hobsbawm say that Britain was well-situated as industrialism expanded?
(a) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to adopt the new technologies and grow its economy.
(b) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to capitalize on other nations' industrialization.
(c) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to take the role of supreme military leader.
(d) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to open new trade routes with Asia.
3. What changed in other countries, but did not change in France, in Hobsbawm's analysis?
(a) France did not begin to idealize its ancient past.
(b) Population did not increase.
(c) Mercantile colonialism did not provide large amounts of revenue.
(d) Inflation did not remain low.
4. What crucial event does Hobsbawm say took place during the period after the French Revolution?
(a) The discovery of Australia.
(b) The abolition of the slave trade.
(c) The invention of the cotton gin.
(d) The development of paper currency.
5. What began to develop as industrialism developed in Europe?
(a) An arms race between nations.
(b) A gap between developed and un-developed nations.
(c) Lower prices as producers competed for buyers.
(d) A trade war over tariffs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state were other economies in 1848?
2. What did the French Revolution create in Spain?
3. What did Hobsbawm say was the new law of businesses in the late 1700s?
4. What was the Code of Napoleon?
5. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)