|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which industry saw special improvements and expansion in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
2. What, in Hobsbawm's view, was the economic result of the French Revolution?
(a) It created room for new industries.
(b) It concentrated the refugee populations in cities, where they became workers.
(c) It devastated the continent with non-stop fighting.
(d) It ruined the means of production and created the possibility of socialism.
3. What was abolished in the wake of Napoleon's victories?
4. Where were the French forces defeated in 1814?
(c) The Marne.
5. Where were spinning and weaving performed prior to the Industrial Revolution?
(a) In the market.
(b) In communal workshops.
(c) In warehouses.
(d) At home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed in other countries, but did not change in France, in Hobsbawm's analysis?
2. Which market supplied raw materials for the cotton trade?
3. What idea does Hobsbawm say was just being developed after the turning point of 1830?
4. In what respect does Hobsbawm say that Britain was well-situated as industrialism expanded?
5. Where were the French forces defeated in 1815?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)