|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the one nation Hobsbawm says could have been considered industrialized in 1848?
2. Where did the idea that Hobsbawm says was developing after 1830 first take root?
(a) In the bourgeoisie.
(b) In the destitute.
(c) In the middle classes.
(d) In the working poor.
3. Where were the French forces superior to the English?
(a) In the navy.
(b) In the colonies.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In the army.
4. In Hobsbawm's account, what happened in France as industrialism expanded in neighboring countries?
(a) The economy was paralyzed by the veterans returning from the wars to the small plots of land Napoleon had promised.
(b) Economic development was slow for lack of investors willing to put money in French factories.
(c) France industrialized quickly, as the soldiers returned from the Napoleonic Wars and went to work in factories.
(d) Land reforms from the French Revolution tied land use to the peasantry, and the economy did not take off.
5. What does Hobsbawm say is the dual root of nationalism in Europe?
(a) New trade routes and peace after the war.
(b) The French Revolution and the Industrial Revolution.
(c) The population explosion and the railroad.
(d) The destruction of the French Revolution and the population explosion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state were other economies in 1848?
2. Where, according to Hobsbawm, did a national movement come from the masses?
3. Where did Russia expand its relationships after the French Revolution?
4. Which market supplied raw materials for the cotton trade?
5. Why didn't disagreements between nations reach the level of international war?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)