|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Britain expand its relationships after the French Revolution?
(a) With its colonies.
(b) With China and Indonesia.
(c) With Russia and Prussia.
(d) With France and Spain.
2. What did Hobsbawm say was the new law of businesses in the late 1700s?
(a) Get big or die.
(b) Buy low, sell high.
(c) Create a niche.
(d) Buy locally, sell globally.
3. Which class does Hobsbawm say published and circulated native-language publications?
(a) Ex-patriate presses.
(b) The universities.
(c) Local presses.
(d) Urban presses.
4. In what respect does Hobsbawm say that Britain was well-situated as industrialism expanded?
(a) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to open new trade routes with Asia.
(b) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to take the role of supreme military leader.
(c) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to capitalize on other nations' industrialization.
(d) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to adopt the new technologies and grow its economy.
5. Why didn't disagreements between nations reach the level of international war?
(a) Because the nations were bound by alliances.
(b) Because the populaces had all been decimated.
(c) Because the treaties signed after the French Revolution forbade it.
(d) Because there was a relative balance of powers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the French forces defeated in 1815?
2. Who does Hobsbawm say rose to prominence financing the wars?
3. Which market supplied raw materials for the cotton trade?
4. What does Hobsbawm say the major European powers agreed on after the French Revolution?
5. How did the concept of nationalism spread through Europe?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)