|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the French Revolution create in Spain?
(a) Freedom movements in the Catalan region.
(b) Resistance to democracy.
(c) New forms of government.
(d) Resistance to monarchy.
2. What changed in other countries, but did not change in France, in Hobsbawm's analysis?
(a) Mercantile colonialism did not provide large amounts of revenue.
(b) Population did not increase.
(c) Inflation did not remain low.
(d) France did not begin to idealize its ancient past.
3. Why does Hobsbawm say that the Industrial Revolution could only have happened in England?
(a) Because agriculture thrived in England's moister climate.
(b) Because the rest of the continent was consumed in war.
(c) Becaue only Britain had the commercial strength and social conditions for it.
(d) Because the Industrial Revolution required a cooler climate.
4. What does Hobsbawm call the Industrial Revolution?
(a) "the most important event in world history."
(b) "the end of classical Europe."
(c) "preparation for some of the greatest changes mankind would know."
(d) "the beginning of the modern age."
5. What cause did Russian and Britain support together after the French Revolution?
(a) The independence of Poland.
(b) The independence of Greece.
(c) The independence of Turkey.
(d) The independence of Finland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hobsbawm say identified themselves with local traditions?
2. Where were the French forces defeated in 1814?
3. Why didn't disagreements between nations reach the level of international war?
4. What happened that fostered nationalist movements in the Balkans?
5. What, in Hobsbawm's view, was the economic result of the French Revolution?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)