|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What began to develop as industrialism developed in Europe?
(a) A gap between developed and un-developed nations.
(b) An arms race between nations.
(c) A trade war over tariffs.
(d) Lower prices as producers competed for buyers.
2. In what respect does Hobsbawm say that Britain was well-situated as industrialism expanded?
(a) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to capitalize on other nations' industrialization.
(b) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to open new trade routes with Asia.
(c) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to take the role of supreme military leader.
(d) Hobsbawm says that Britain was well-situated to adopt the new technologies and grow its economy.
3. Where did Britain expand its relationships after the French Revolution?
(a) With France and Spain.
(b) With China and Indonesia.
(c) With Russia and Prussia.
(d) With its colonies.
4. Who dominated the Orthodox Church in 1848?
5. What does Hobsbawm call the Industrial Revolution?
(a) "the beginning of the modern age."
(b) "the most important event in world history."
(c) "preparation for some of the greatest changes mankind would know."
(d) "the end of classical Europe."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which industry saw special improvements and expansion in the late 1700s, according to Hobsbawm?
2. What does Hobsbawm say the major European powers agreed on after the French Revolution?
3. Who invested in the railroads, in Hobsbawm's account?
4. Where does Hobsbawm see a culture combining nationalism with the revolutionary spirit of the French Revolution?
5. How much does Hobsbawm say Europeans were affected by the Napoleonic Wars?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)