|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Towards an Industrial World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Hobsbawm say Europeans were affected by the Napoleonic Wars?
(a) He says that fighting was widespread throughout many regions.
(b) He says that the wide areas were almost totally devastated. but some were left untouched.
(c) He says that many were not affected at all.
(d) He says that almost everyone felt the effects in one way or another.
2. What, in Hobsbawm's view, was the economic result of the French Revolution?
(a) It created room for new industries.
(b) It concentrated the refugee populations in cities, where they became workers.
(c) It ruined the means of production and created the possibility of socialism.
(d) It devastated the continent with non-stop fighting.
3. France was opposed by which of these in the Napoleonic Wars?
(a) Britain and Russia.
(b) Russia, Prussia and Austria.
(c) All of Europe and Britain.
(d) Austria and Prussia.
4. What did the French Revolution demonstrate to the rest of Europe?
(a) That power will always reside in the aristocracy's hands.
(b) That tyrants could use popular uprisings for their own purposes.
(c) That Europe was not ready for democracy yet.
(d) That people could rise up to fight for their freedom.
5. What does Hobsbawm call the Industrial Revolution?
(a) "the end of classical Europe."
(b) "the most important event in world history."
(c) "preparation for some of the greatest changes mankind would know."
(d) "the beginning of the modern age."
Short Answer Questions
1. What trend was Hobsbawm looking for in revolts and revolutions?
2. What changed in other countries, but did not change in France, in Hobsbawm's analysis?
3. What was the result of improvements in the technology of spinning and weaving?
4. Why didn't disagreements between nations reach the level of international war?
5. What crucial event does Hobsbawm say took place during the period after the French Revolution?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)