|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ideology: Religion.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was changing in the role religion played in people's lives, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) It was expanding into poor neighborhoods.
(b) It was in general decline.
(c) It was becoming more radical.
(d) It was becoming merely ceremonial.
2. In what way, in Hobsbawm's account, did the nobility use religion?
(a) As a prop to demonstrate their conspicuous leisure.
(b) As a source of stability and legitimacy.
(c) As an expensive charity to donate to.
(d) As a club to keep the lower classes down.
3. How much does Hobsbawm say Europeans were affected by the Napoleonic Wars?
(a) He says that almost everyone felt the effects in one way or another.
(b) He says that the wide areas were almost totally devastated. but some were left untouched.
(c) He says that many were not affected at all.
(d) He says that fighting was widespread throughout many regions.
4. What were the dates of the Napoleonic Wars?
5. What was the new stance toward religion after the French Revolution?
(a) People were not hostile, but society was becoming more secular.
(b) Radicals were openly antagonistic to the church.
(c) The state had seized all church lands, and the church was diminished.
(d) The church had insinuated itself into the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hobsbawm describe the traditional system of agriculture?
2. Where were the French forces defeated in 1814?
3. Where were the French forces defeated in 1815?
4. Why did places that had not been conquered by France reform their land use, in Hobsbawm's opinion?
5. Which religion was expanding from Turkey through Africa and to the east?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)