|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ideology: Religion.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the French Revolution create in Spain?
(a) Resistance to monarchy.
(b) New forms of government.
(c) Freedom movements in the Catalan region.
(d) Resistance to democracy.
2. How did many countries impose this transformation of land use on the people?
(a) By seizing the aristocrats' lands for the people.
(b) By founding colonies in the New World.
(c) By nationalizing church and state lands.
(d) By abolishing feudalism.
3. What was the consequence of French land reforms in North Africa, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) They brought civilization to North Africa for the first time.
(b) They created a discontented class of people who eventually revolted.
(c) They stripped away the wealth of the North African countries.
(d) They installed local officials as a new aristocracy.
4. How did Hobsbawm characterize the change in the way that people related to the land, and the way land was related to the economy?
(a) As the least forgivable development of the period.
(b) As the most catastrophic phenomenon of the period.
(c) As the least recognized phenomenon of the period.
(d) As the most lucrative development of the period.
5. What does Hobsbawm say had to happen to the land before its economic potential could be unleashed?
(a) The temperature of Europe had to rise one degree.
(b) It had to be freed from large owners.
(c) The scientific understanding needed to evolve that would let farmers work the land more efficiently.
(d) The population needed to expand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Code of Napoleon?
2. Where were the French forces superior to the English?
3. What did the land have to be turned into before it could be developed economically, in Hobsbawm's opinion?
4. What was the consequence of British land reforms in India?
5. How religious does Hobsbawm say the working classes were, by modern standards?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)