|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ideology: Religion.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, in Hobsbawm's view, was the economic result of the French Revolution?
(a) It concentrated the refugee populations in cities, where they became workers.
(b) It ruined the means of production and created the possibility of socialism.
(c) It created room for new industries.
(d) It devastated the continent with non-stop fighting.
2. How were the working classes influenced by religion after the French Revolution?
(a) They relied on it as another social service.
(b) They found consolation in the church for their hard lives.
(c) They remained tithed to the church.
(d) The were less influenced by it than before.
3. How religious does Hobsbawm say the working classes were, by modern standards?
(a) Devoutly religious, as before.
(b) Still quite religious.
(c) Not religious at all.
(d) More radical than before.
4. What motive does Hobsbawm say would have to motivate the new owners of the land, if the land were going to develop economically?
(a) The urge to power.
(b) Communist sympathy.
(c) The profit motive.
5. Which religions gained adherents after the French Revolution?
(a) Paganism and Protestantism.
(b) Islam and Protestantism.
(c) Hinduism and Islam.
(d) Protestantism and folk religions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the new stance toward religion after the French Revolution?
2. France was opposed by which of these in the Napoleonic Wars?
3. How much does Hobsbawm say Europeans were affected by the Napoleonic Wars?
4. In Hobsbawm's account, what did the peasantry lose by land reforms sweeping the globe in the mid-1800s?
5. What was changing in the role religion played in people's lives, in Hobsbawm's account?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)