|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ideology: Religion.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the consequence of French land reforms in North Africa, in Hobsbawm's account?
(a) They installed local officials as a new aristocracy.
(b) They created a discontented class of people who eventually revolted.
(c) They stripped away the wealth of the North African countries.
(d) They brought civilization to North Africa for the first time.
2. What, in Hobsbawm's view, was the economic result of the French Revolution?
(a) It created room for new industries.
(b) It concentrated the refugee populations in cities, where they became workers.
(c) It ruined the means of production and created the possibility of socialism.
(d) It devastated the continent with non-stop fighting.
3. Where were the French forces superior to the English?
(a) In the colonies.
(b) In the navy.
(c) In the army.
(d) In the mountains.
4. What motive does Hobsbawm say would have to motivate the new owners of the land, if the land were going to develop economically?
(a) The profit motive.
(c) The urge to power.
(d) Communist sympathy.
5. What did the French Revolution create in Spain?
(a) Freedom movements in the Catalan region.
(b) Resistance to monarchy.
(c) New forms of government.
(d) Resistance to democracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Hobsbawm's account, what did the peasantry lose by land reforms sweeping the globe in the mid-1800s?
2. What was the new stance toward religion after the French Revolution?
3. Where were the French forces defeated in 1814?
4. What was changing in the role religion played in people's lives, in Hobsbawm's account?
5. In what way, in Hobsbawm's account, did the nobility use religion?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)