|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 24?
2. What ocean did people originally think the Dead Sea was part of?
3. What major even occurred in India in 1947?
4. Which county colonized India for hundreds of years?
5. In what part of the USA was oil discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Cheshire salt?
2. Why have people decreased their salt intake?
3. How did Britain enforce the new salt laws?
4. How did the Indians react to the British banning the trade of their salt?
5. What impact did Humphry Davy have on the salt industry?
6. How did the French finance minister reform the salt taxes?
7. What virtually destroyed the salt industry in China in 1995?
8. How did the British help the Chinese in 1912?
9. Why do people believe the Dead Sea is so salty?
10. How did Morton become the world's largest salt producer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Kurlansky's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Kurlansky's argument?
Essay Topic 2
What health problems can salt cause? How have countries tried to combat the health problems caused by too much salt?
Essay Topic 3
How did the rise in salt trade change Europe and the relations between the individual countries? How did the rise in salt trade effect individuals lives? In what what way could it be said they salt trade was partly responsible for many conflicts and tensions during this time?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)