|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the canal the Americans built on New York to transport salt?
2. What was the French salt tax also known as?
3. Why did the British ban Orissa salt?
4. What is the name of the sea that runs alongside Jordan and Israel?
5. In what part of the USA was oil discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was India ruled entirely by a British government in 1857?
2. Why have people decreased their salt intake?
3. In what areas dishes does the heavy use of salt still survive?
4. How did the Americans try to combat the British blockade?
5. What is unique about the Dead Sea?
6. How did the Indians react to the British banning the trade of their salt?
7. What problems do the British salt mines have in this section?
8. Why do people believe the Dead Sea is so salty?
9. How did the British help the Chinese in 1912?
10. How did New York improve the salt industry after the 1812 war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is salt essential to our diet? What problems can too much salt in our diets cause?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's writing style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Kurlansky's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Kurlansky's argument?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)