|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 19?
2. What party did Deng Xiaoping become the leader of in the latter part of the twentieth century?
3. What did soldiers and salt workers set up next to the salt works?
4. What river did Gandhi lead a group to in 1930 to scrape up sea salt?
5. What is the name of the mountain made entirely from rock salt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people combine salt and sugar?
2. How did Britain change the salt industry in India?
3. Why have people decreased their salt intake?
4. How did the British help the Chinese in 1912?
5. How did the French finance minister reform the salt taxes?
6. How did the Americans try to combat the British blockade?
7. What problems do the British salt mines have in this section?
8. Why do people believe the Dead Sea is so salty?
9. How was Tabasco invented?
10. What did Birdseye discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way did salt play a major part in India gaining independence from the British in 1948? How had the British used salt to oppress the Indians previously?
Essay Topic 2
How did the salt trade help to develop transport systems in Europe and America? How did countries use these trading systems during times of conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)