|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the French salt tax also known as?
2. Why did the British claim it was okay to kidnap American soldiers?
3. What is the name of the canal the Americans built on New York to transport salt?
4. What is the title of Chapter 19?
5. In which English town does Chapter 20 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Cheshire salt?
2. How did the Indians react to the British banning the trade of their salt?
3. In what areas dishes does the heavy use of salt still survive?
4. How did the northern states immediately get one over the southern states at the start of the Civil War?
5. How did the French finance minister reform the salt taxes?
6. How did the French deal with salt smugglers?
7. How did the Americans try to combat the British blockade?
8. Why do people combine salt and sugar?
9. How did Britain change the salt industry in India?
10. Why have people decreased their salt intake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Basque culture like before they discovered how important salt was? How did salt change the Basque way of life?
Essay Topic 2
Why did cod become such an important source of food? How did the discovery of cod by the Europeans effect European industry?
Essay Topic 3
How did the rise in salt trade change Europe and the relations between the individual countries? How did the rise in salt trade effect individuals lives? In what what way could it be said they salt trade was partly responsible for many conflicts and tensions during this time?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)