|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 16?
2. Which of the following people were exempt from military service in the American War for Independence?
3. What was it illegal to salt in France during the salt tax?
4. What is Sodium Chloride better known as?
5. What is the title of Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Cheshire salt?
2. What did Birdseye discover?
3. How did the French finance minister reform the salt taxes?
4. How did a man called Appert destroy the salt industry?
5. How did Morton become the world's largest salt producer?
6. How did the American War of Independence begin?
7. How did the South finally get its supplies of salt?
8. Why do people combine salt and sugar?
9. How did the British help the Chinese in 1912?
10. How did the Indians react to the British banning the trade of their salt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way has salt been an indicator of wealth? How have the authorities tries to use salt to control the masses?
Essay Topic 2
Why did salt start to become less important to society in the 19th century? How did this affect the food industry in both Europe and America?
Essay Topic 3
How did the rise in salt trade change Europe and the relations between the individual countries? How did the rise in salt trade effect individuals lives? In what what way could it be said they salt trade was partly responsible for many conflicts and tensions during this time?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)