|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the Mormons before they settled in Utah?
2. What is the name of the canal the Americans built on New York to transport salt?
3. Which country are said to be the largest consumers of salt in the world?
4. Which two states were colonies of Britain?
5. What did the American south lack adequate supplies for against the north?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did a man called Appert destroy the salt industry?
2. How did Britain enforce the new salt laws?
3. How did the South finally get its supplies of salt?
4. How did New York improve the salt industry after the 1812 war?
5. How did the American War of Independence begin?
6. How did the Indians react to the British banning the trade of their salt?
7. While were the colonies of Massachusetts and Virgina so reliant on Britain?
8. In what areas dishes does the heavy use of salt still survive?
9. What virtually destroyed the salt industry in China in 1995?
10. How did the Americans try to combat the British blockade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did cod become such an important source of food? How did the discovery of cod by the Europeans effect European industry?
Essay Topic 2
Why did salt start to become less important to society in the 19th century? How did this affect the food industry in both Europe and America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's writing style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)