|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did people find in England while looking for salt deposits?
2. Which of the following type of fish is not commonly salted?
3. What did soldiers and salt workers set up next to the salt works?
4. What is the title of Chapter 22?
5. In what town was China salt production centered?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the British help the Chinese in 1912?
2. What did Birdseye discover?
3. How did the French deal with salt smugglers?
4. How did the Indians react to the British banning the trade of their salt?
5. Why do people combine salt and sugar?
6. What virtually destroyed the salt industry in China in 1995?
7. How was Tabasco invented?
8. How did the French finance minister reform the salt taxes?
9. What impact did Humphry Davy have on the salt industry?
10. What problems do the British salt mines have in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way did salt play a major part in India gaining independence from the British in 1948? How had the British used salt to oppress the Indians previously?
Essay Topic 2
Why did salt start to become less important to society in the 19th century? How did this affect the food industry in both Europe and America?
Essay Topic 3
What health problems can salt cause? How have countries tried to combat the health problems caused by too much salt?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)