|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does sodium become if one isolates the chemical chlorine?
2. What was the most famous brand of sea salt from India before the British came?
3. Who reinstated the salt tax in France?
4. What did soldiers and salt workers set up next to the salt works?
5. What is the name of the mountain made entirely from rock salt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Cheshire salt?
2. How did the Indians react to the British banning the trade of their salt?
3. What is unique about the Dead Sea?
4. How did the South finally get its supplies of salt?
5. In what areas dishes does the heavy use of salt still survive?
6. How did Morton become the world's largest salt producer?
7. What problems do the British salt mines have in this section?
8. Why was India ruled entirely by a British government in 1857?
9. How did a man called Appert destroy the salt industry?
10. How did Britain change the salt industry in India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's writing style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What role does salt play in today's society? Why is it likely salt will always play a major part in society?
Essay Topic 3
How did Venice develop into a center for salt trading? How did they maximize their profits and in what way did this lead to their eventual demise?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)