|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sodium Chloride better known as?
2. What subject does the author discuss in Chapter 19?
3. Who led the popular movement against British salt polices?
4. What country does the author return to in Chapter 23?
5. What is the name of the sea that runs alongside Jordan and Israel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was India ruled entirely by a British government in 1857?
2. What did Birdseye discover?
3. How did a man called Appert destroy the salt industry?
4. How did New York improve the salt industry after the 1812 war?
5. In what areas dishes does the heavy use of salt still survive?
6. What is unique about the Dead Sea?
7. How did Britain change the salt industry in India?
8. How did the British help the Chinese in 1912?
9. How did the Indians react to the British banning the trade of their salt?
10. Why do people combine salt and sugar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does salt play in today's society? Why is it likely salt will always play a major part in society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's writing style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why did salt start to become less important to society in the 19th century? How did this affect the food industry in both Europe and America?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)