|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What started developing all over England that caused problems to brine production?
2. Who did Appert sell his invention to?
3. What is Sodium Chloride better known as?
4. What did Union forces destroy in West Virginia in 1862?
5. What is Nitrous Oxide more commonly known as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the American War of Independence begin?
2. How did the northern states immediately get one over the southern states at the start of the Civil War?
3. How did the Americans try to combat the British blockade?
4. What problem does the Dead Sea have?
5. How did a man called Appert destroy the salt industry?
6. What did Birdseye discover?
7. How did the South finally get its supplies of salt?
8. In what areas dishes does the heavy use of salt still survive?
9. What happened to Cheshire salt?
10. What problems do the British salt mines have in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
How did salt help to develop European society? What problems did Europeans have before salt was readily available?
Essay Topic 3
What was Basque culture like before they discovered how important salt was? How did salt change the Basque way of life?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)