|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which fish are the Swedish salted licorice candies shaped like?
2. What is the title of Chapter 23?
3. Wht did international health group begin to worry about the effects of salt?
4. Which of the following people were exempt from military service in the American War for Independence?
5. What country does the author return to in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact did Humphry Davy have on the salt industry?
2. Why did the French hate salt taxes so much?
3. How did the French finance minister reform the salt taxes?
4. While were the colonies of Massachusetts and Virgina so reliant on Britain?
5. How did Britain change the salt industry in India?
6. How did the British help the Chinese in 1912?
7. How did a man called Appert destroy the salt industry?
8. How did the South finally get its supplies of salt?
9. What problem does the Dead Sea have?
10. What did Birdseye discover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way has salt been an indicator of wealth? How have the authorities tries to use salt to control the masses?
Essay Topic 2
How did the salt trade help to develop transport systems in Europe and America? How did countries use these trading systems during times of conflict?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's writing style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)