|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What party did Deng Xiaoping become the leader of in the latter part of the twentieth century?
2. What major even occurred in India in 1947?
3. What color was the brine the settlers in San Francisco took from the sea before the made it into salt?
4. Who reinstated the salt tax in France?
5. What is the name of the canal the Americans built on New York to transport salt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Dead Sea become a health spa?
2. Why do people believe the Dead Sea is so salty?
3. In what areas dishes does the heavy use of salt still survive?
4. What is unique about the Dead Sea?
5. How was Tabasco invented?
6. How did Morton become the world's largest salt producer?
7. How did the Americans try to combat the British blockade?
8. How did Britain change the salt industry in India?
9. How did New York improve the salt industry after the 1812 war?
10. How did a man called Appert destroy the salt industry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the salt trade help to develop transport systems in Europe and America? How did countries use these trading systems during times of conflict?
Essay Topic 2
In what way did salt play a major part in India gaining independence from the British in 1948? How had the British used salt to oppress the Indians previously?
Essay Topic 3
How did Venice develop into a center for salt trading? How did they maximize their profits and in what way did this lead to their eventual demise?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)