|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of the USA was oil discovered?
2. What was name of the sauce that McIhenny invented?
3. Who did Appert sell his invention to?
4. What does the author say the Chinese are obsessed with?
5. Who led the popular movement against British salt polices?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people believe the Dead Sea is so salty?
2. What did Birdseye discover?
3. What virtually destroyed the salt industry in China in 1995?
4. How did the American War of Independence begin?
5. What is unique about the Dead Sea?
6. Why do people combine salt and sugar?
7. How did the French deal with salt smugglers?
8. How was Tabasco invented?
9. Why was India ruled entirely by a British government in 1857?
10. Why have people decreased their salt intake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did salt help to develop European society? What problems did Europeans have before salt was readily available?
Essay Topic 2
What health problems can salt cause? How have countries tried to combat the health problems caused by too much salt?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Kurlansky's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Kurlansky's argument?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)