|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was name of the sauce that McIhenny invented?
2. What subject does the author discuss in Chapter 19?
3. What was Jean Baptiste Colbert's role in the French government?
4. Where did a group of speculators find salt deposits underground?
5. What party did Deng Xiaoping become the leader of in the latter part of the twentieth century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did a man called Appert destroy the salt industry?
2. What did Birdseye discover?
3. What impact did Humphry Davy have on the salt industry?
4. How did the northern states immediately get one over the southern states at the start of the Civil War?
5. How did the Dead Sea become a health spa?
6. How did Britain enforce the new salt laws?
7. How did the Indians react to the British banning the trade of their salt?
8. While were the colonies of Massachusetts and Virgina so reliant on Britain?
9. How did the British help the Chinese in 1912?
10. How did the South finally get its supplies of salt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
In what way has salt been an indicator of wealth? How have the authorities tries to use salt to control the masses?
Essay Topic 3
What was Basque culture like before they discovered how important salt was? How did salt change the Basque way of life?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)