|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say the Chinese are obsessed with?
2. What is the name of the popular salted salmon dish?
3. What river did Gandhi lead a group to in 1930 to scrape up sea salt?
4. What ocean did people originally think the Dead Sea was part of?
5. What is Appert's nationality?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the French finance minister reform the salt taxes?
2. Why was India ruled entirely by a British government in 1857?
3. What problem does the Dead Sea have?
4. How did Britain enforce the new salt laws?
5. How did Morton become the world's largest salt producer?
6. How did a man called Appert destroy the salt industry?
7. Why did the French hate salt taxes so much?
8. How did the Americans try to combat the British blockade?
9. Why did another war breakout between America and Britain in 1812?
10. What is unique about the Dead Sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Humphry Davy in the development of salt? What problems has Davy's discovery caused?
Essay Topic 2
What importance have the following groups attached to salt?
2. Greek philosophers.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Dead Sea so important to Israeli industry? Why could the Dead Sea soon disappear?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)