|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people were exempt from military service in the American War for Independence?
2. What did soldiers and salt workers set up next to the salt works?
3. How did the British create serious salt shortages during the American War for Independence?
4. What was the French salt tax also known as?
5. Whose work did Gandhi read in jail while in India?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the northern states immediately get one over the southern states at the start of the Civil War?
2. How did the British help the Chinese in 1912?
3. What virtually destroyed the salt industry in China in 1995?
4. How did the American War of Independence begin?
5. How did Morton become the world's largest salt producer?
6. How did the Americans try to combat the British blockade?
7. What did Birdseye discover?
8. Why have people decreased their salt intake?
9. Why do people combine salt and sugar?
10. How was Tabasco invented?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did cod become such an important source of food? How did the discovery of cod by the Europeans effect European industry?
Essay Topic 2
How were the following countries important in the development of salt?
Essay Topic 3
What was Basque culture like before they discovered how important salt was? How did salt change the Basque way of life?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)