|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Virginia sided with the union?
2. Who believed that the Dead Sea would become a source of mineral wealth?
3. What is the title of Chapter 18?
4. Who was forbidden to trade with the United States after the revolution?
5. What is the title of Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Morton become the world's largest salt producer?
2. How did the northern states immediately get one over the southern states at the start of the Civil War?
3. Why was India ruled entirely by a British government in 1857?
4. How did the French finance minister reform the salt taxes?
5. Why did another war breakout between America and Britain in 1812?
6. How did the Americans try to combat the British blockade?
7. What did Birdseye discover?
8. What virtually destroyed the salt industry in China in 1995?
9. Why do people combine salt and sugar?
10. How was Tabasco invented?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Venice develop into a center for salt trading? How did they maximize their profits and in what way did this lead to their eventual demise?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Kurlansky's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Kurlansky's argument?
Essay Topic 3
How were the following countries important in the development of salt?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)